Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Playoff alternative format suggestion

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
If it was about promoting the best 3 teams, the top 3 would get automatic and there would be no play-offs.

It's not though, so the play-offs are of course not a representation of the 3rd best team. They are a system to determine the 3rd promoted side.

Fairness is totally irrelevant to the play-offs.

They provide great games of football and they're not going to change.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not sure re your point about its different between deciding 3rd play of or league champion- you are just trying to find a 'winner' (final promotion spot or something else).

And if a bunch of auz rules fans can follow the basis of it I'm sure us thick footy fans can. ����

There are simpler versions suggested above. E.g 4th v 5th, winner plays 3rd in final, or 3rd goes up 4th ch plays 4th bottom in prem (won't happen).

Guess the question is do the national league keep the system as is, cos the drama and added jeopardy the simplicity and faults brings....or try and make it fairer for teams that have performed over 40 + games (Including Walsall and Accrington Stanley- exactly!) esp given what is now at stake?

Barnsley could get promoted having never been higher than 6th all season and were even bottom mid season. Over Walsall who have been top or top 3 all season. Exciting and great for bansley, but fair? I'd suggest not...even if it didn't favour Brighton in future.

The only FAIR way of doing it is top 3 go up automatically. That is the end of discussion really on what is fair.

In any of your suggestions Barnsley can still go up - that's what play-offs are, all you're doing is weighting them which is still not fair and takes away the fairness of it being a cup competition.

As for understanding it, Aussie Rules fans are the only ones who need to understand it as they are the only ones who watch it. English football is sold to a global market with an international audience - so it is important not to overcomplicate rules and procedures.

The playoffs are the same format right through to the 7th tier of football, from Rymans Premier to Championship. Conference South and North only 1 goes up, 2nd to 5th playoff. It is what it is. Simple, exciting, effective.

Flydye75

May 17, 2016
Brighton
How is weighting them based on a 40 game season not fair to the team that finishes 6th?

And we already do it in the fa cup and league cup knock out comps, higher league placed teams join later rounds.

Last edited:

Flydye75

May 17, 2016
Brighton
Last comment on this from me:

The fact that none of the 3 teams that narrowly missed out on automatic promotion (all last day), based on a long hard season, from all the national leagues, have even made a single final....shows the current playoff system needs 'adjusting' to more accurately 'reward' the higher placed teams compared to 5th and 6th (even if we still wish it to be a knock out comp)

Flydye75

May 17, 2016
Brighton
I was thinking about this lying in bed after the first sh leg. As a neutral I love the excitement of the playoffs, but it is too much of a level playing field and doesn't take the seasons performance into account enough

So here's my thoughts on how we could retain the excitement of the play-off but make it screws to the league position more....and not (just) cos I am bitter from last night!

3rd goes into final at Wembley. Well done for good season.

Then others play off to see who plays them.

Full rounds as below:

Final : 3rd v winner rnd 2
Rnd 2: 4th (home) v winner rnd 1 (away)
Rnd 1: 5th (h) v 6th (a)

So to get promoted each team would have to win:
3rd 1 game - final
4th: 2 games - h, f
5th: 3 games - h, a, f
6th 3 games - a,a,f

So the higher you finish higher your % chance of promotion, but 6th still has a chance and keeps season going for 6,7,8th.

If sky want more games, it can be made two legs but I like the 'home advantage' angle.

http://m.theargus.co.uk/sport/14522...rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Has someone taken my suggestion to me barber? Who said it was bonkers! Glad to see it being taken to the league!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If it was about promoting the best 3 teams, the top 3 would get automatic and there would be no play-offs.

It's not though, so the play-offs are of course not a representation of the 3rd best team. They are a system to determine the 3rd promoted side.

Fairness is totally irrelevant to the play-offs.

They provide great games of football and they're not going to change.

This is spot on.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Some advantage should clearly be given to the team finishing third but they need to keep the play-offs to keep the excitement until the end of the season.

The obvious and most simple solution is that the third place team goes straight to Wembley and the 4th and 5th teams play-off against each other to meet them.

The 6th place team isnt involved. It's ludicrous that a team that only finished 6th in the Championship somehow deserves promotion to the Premier League.

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
To me, what we should complaining about are the ridiculous differences in incomes between the 2 top leagues - in particular, the huge and on-going parachute payments for relegated clubs. Even if today's winner comes straight back down next season (and we don't go up), they will have a significant advantage over us for a number of seasons to come. All on the outcome of the play-offs, Hardly financial fair play..

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Murray on ,loan we'd have been 3 or 4 up by the time Burnley got the late equaliser.
Possibly. I also wish we'd had Murray, however I do not think that had Barton been sent off, that they'd have equalised. It was truly outrageous that he received unfair protection from the officials. I am certain it was crooked. Football has all become money money money and that induces backhanders etc.

Sent from the boot of Lingard

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Why did nobody suggest this after Ulloa's goal at Forest or when we finished below Bristol City yet went up at their expense?

That is exactly right. In those seasons not one single Brighton fan complained about the play-off format. Not ONE. I don't think anybody even complained about the concept, we just gratefully accepted them. Now because we appear to have drawn a short straw NSC is full of posts/threads from people with myriad ways to 'improve' the system - or even to scrap it completely! Quite pathetic.

Possibly. I also wish we'd had Murray, however I do not think that had Barton been sent off, that they'd have equalised. It was truly outrageous that he received unfair protection from the officials. I am certain it was crooked. Football has all become money money money and that induces backhanders etc.

Oh I agree,the officials for the two games you mention are almost certainly on the take,however,it's our refusal to just go that little bit further with player investment that cost us .

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
That is exactly right. In those seasons not one single Brighton fan complained about the play-off format. Not ONE. I don't think anybody even complained about the concept, we just gratefully accepted them. Now because we appear to have drawn a short straw NSC is full of posts/threads from people with myriad ways to 'improve' the system - or even to scrap it completely! Quite pathetic.
I have always opposed the playoffs, even when we went up in them. They make a total mockery of the season. This year's in particular were skewed against the team finishing third, whether that had been us or Boro, it penalised third for having something to play for on the last day.

Playoffs are rubbish, and I'll say that again if we go up next year at Sheffield Wednesday's expense having finished 15 points behind them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here