Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Playoff alternative format suggestion

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Whether the play offs need a change will depend on where we finish next season - should we finish 6th they are perfect the way they are, but if we finish 3rd we need a new scheme. My son's suggestion is

3rd at home to 4th winner to final
5th at home to 6th, winner plays loser of 3rd v 4th for remaining place in final. That way you have a serious advantage if you are 3rd (or 4th)

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Not enough of an advantage in my view for 40+ game season (whether if benefits BHAFC or not)

6th can still win promotion ...they will just be a lot harder in the play offs as they didn't do enough over 40 games

It was hard for 6th, they had to play us, the third best side in the league and they had to come to our ground for the decider. If we finished 6th I'd consider that a tough ask and a terrific achievement to go through.

Flydye75

May 17, 2016
Brighton
There was two games to secure automatic and the players choked. They then had two games to get to Wembley and despite a brilliant first half yesterday again fluffed their lines. All this changing the rules after losing is embarrassing. Part of being good enough to go up is being mentally strong enough and I think 3 draws and a defeat in the final four games proves that we aren't. End of story.
Right...so your definition of 'deserves' is based on 5-6 games in May (which could be effected by luck, injuries, slips in form etc)?

Its not sour grapes, i'm proud of Brighton - we didn't do enough in the end under this system, 89 points or not - end off as someone said.

I'm questioning if the current system gives enough weight to a season of 40+ games over 9+ months, when luck, bad decisions, injuries even themselves out?...esp as the stakes / rewards of promotion have rocketed.

Forget what has happened - what should happen...for all leagues?

Flydye75

May 17, 2016
Brighton
Whether the play offs need a change will depend on where we finish next season - should we finish 6th they are perfect the way they are, but if we finish 3rd we need a new scheme. My son's suggestion is

3rd at home to 4th winner to final
5th at home to 6th, winner plays loser of 3rd v 4th for remaining place in final. That way you have a serious advantage if you are 3rd (or 4th)

Nope, everyone knows the rules at start of the season and thats what you work within...question is what should those rules be?

Your son's suggestion isn't a million miles from my thinking...and that sounds better than current play-off syetem (in terms of fairness if not drama).

Someone pointed out they use the 'McIntyre system' in Aus for AFL and league, but I think they uses a 'tiered' mini league (like in the Premiership), I wouldn't suggest going that far!

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i like the play off for the interest it provides many teams for the last two months. however current arrangement aren't sufficiently weighted to the 3rd place team. having the second leg at home is hardly any advantage. of course im bias due to results, but it is also true.

Nov 5, 2012
chichester
Right...so your definition of 'deserves' is based on 5-6 games in May (which could be effected by luck, injuries, slips in form etc)?

Its not sour grapes, i'm proud of Brighton - we didn't do enough in the end under this system, 89 points or not - end off as someone said.

I'm questioning if the current system gives enough weight to a season of 40+ games over 9+ months, when luck, bad decisions, injuries even themselves out?...esp as the stakes / rewards of promotion have rocketed.

Forget what has happened - what should happen...for all leagues?

It's two separate competitions. I could understand teams who finished 3rd feeling aggrieved in the early days but not now. It's top two or you dust yourself down and go again in the play offs. As for injuries suspensions etc they are part of the game and their timing cannot be predicted.
I think the system is fine how it is even though it's frustrating. You either get automatic or accept you're in the play offs. As someone rightly said if we finish 6th and go up via the play offs next season there will be no complaints.

Flydye75

May 17, 2016
Brighton
It's two separate competitions. I could understand teams who finished 3rd feeling aggrieved in the early days but not now. It's top two or you dust yourself down and go again in the play offs. As for injuries suspensions etc they are part of the game and their timing cannot be predicted.
I think the system is fine how it is even though it's frustrating. You either get automatic or accept you're in the play offs. As someone rightly said if we finish 6th and go up via the play offs next season there will be no complaints.

What's two seperate competions? League and play offs? Really?

The play offs would still exist.

And if we finished 6th next year and someone said: "you're 15-20 points behind 3rd (or 4th)...cos you won 5 less games than them...so you have to play an extra game or 2 to earn the shot at playing 3rd for promotion" - would seem fair to me or whoever came 6th

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Round 1

3rd at Home v 4th (winner goes to final, loser to Semi-Final)

5th at Home v 6th

Semi Final

3rd/4th at home v 5th/6th (winner goes to final)

Flydye75

May 17, 2016
Brighton
Round 1

5th at Home v 6th

Semi Final

That will do too, although could end up with 3rd and 4th playing each other twice (semi and final) each winning one

Last edited:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
6th place team plays remotely via voice controls to a helmeted warrior a la the kids TV show Knightmare ("Sidestep left. sidestep left. Push Lewis Dunk over now")
5th place team has to wear racing blinkers over their eyes to restrict their field of vision plus those fancy dress costumes where it looks like you're sitting on an animal, like that one David Brent wears on Comic Relief.
4th place team is injected with a random syringe; could be water, could be laxatives, could be an extremely potent mix of psychotic drugs.
3rd place team gets to play the match on horseback with large polo mallets if desired.

It's a standard round robin system - home and away. Once the first twelve matches are done, your goal difference is multiplied by your points total. These numbers are anonymised and then given to a panel comprised of Ian Holloway, Piers Morgan and that fat one out of Downton Abbey for review; and this panel decide which two teams will go on to play the final. Which is in QATAR.

It's the only fair way.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
User Name

Round 1

5th at Home v 6th

Semi Final

So 3rd gets a harder game and could be knocked out immediately?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
11 players from each of the 4 teams play 11 rounds of Super Mario Kart.

3rd place team picks the characters
4th picks the tracks
5th and 6th pick **** all.

It's what Jimmy Hill would have wanted.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We didn't get promoted because we failed to win any of our last 4 games, not promotion form sadly :tantrum:

We did win 9 of the previous 12...That was pretty good.

You could isolate any specific moment. Not winning the last 4, or like I've said on another thread, holding on for just 4 more mins away to Derby, QPR, Bolton, home to Burnley would have done it.

It seems like everything comes down to the last games, but as much as it's a marathon not a sprint, those points dropped in the middle of the season are as relevant as the end. My point being our form in 2016 was title winning form. Regardless of what just happened, that is a fact. 12th December to 12th January tore the guts out of our season. All this talk of strikers etc. our squad was exposed in that period and we paid the price. Thereafter we've been sensational in my book.

seagullhoop

Nov 6, 2012
Brighton
A mini league between all 4 clubs (i.e. 3 games each) with the club that finished higher always playing at home

Still play the same number of games to win promotion without the trip to Wembley

So in the case of this season...

Brighton vs Hull
Brighton vs Derby
Brighton vs Sheff Wed

Hull vs Derby
Hull vs Sheff Wed

Derby vs Sheff Wed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here