Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Playoff alternative format suggestion

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Round 1

3rd at Home v 4th (winner goes to final, loser to Semi-Final)

5th at Home v 6th

Semi Final

3rd/4th at home v 5th/6th (winner goes to final)

So 3rd gets a harder game and could be knocked out immediately?

No.

Winner of 3rd v 4th goes straight to final.

Loser of 3rd v 4th gets a second chance, and plays at home to winners of 5th v 6th.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Regardless of all this, the ONE thing I would LOVE to see introduced for all "must have a result" matches is to hold the PENALTY shoot-out BEFORE the match, not after.

By doing this;
a) the fans get the excitement of a shoot-out as pre-match entertainment.
b) one of the teams already knows that they can't play out for a draw [as they've already lost the penalty shoot-out].

This MUST improve on match day entertainment .......

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I was thinking about this lying in bed after the first sh leg. As a neutral I love the excitement of the playoffs, but it is too much of a level playing field and doesn't take the seasons performance into account enough

So here's my thoughts on how we could retain the excitement of the play-off but make it screws to the league position more....and not (just) cos I am bitter from last night!

3rd goes into final at Wembley. Well done for good season.

Then others play off to see who plays them.

Full rounds as below:

Final : 3rd v winner rnd 2
Rnd 2: 4th (home) v winner rnd 1 (away)
Rnd 1: 5th (h) v 6th (a)

So to get promoted each team would have to win:
3rd 1 game - final
4th: 2 games - h, f
5th: 3 games - h, a, f
6th 3 games - a,a,f

So the higher you finish higher your % chance of promotion, but 6th still has a chance and keeps season going for 6,7,8th.

If sky want more games, it can be made two legs but I like the 'home advantage' angle.

Far too complicated. Just make it: 3rd place team qualifies for final. 4th and 5th play-off to be their opponents. 6th shouldn't even feature.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Someone pointed out they use the 'McIntyre system' in Aus for AFL and league, but I think they uses a 'tiered' mini league (like in the Premiership), I wouldn't suggest going that far!

Even a mini league could give a better weighting (and SKY could get an extra 2 semi games per league - 6 instead of current 4, each team playing 3 games instead of 2).

3rd plays all games at home against 4th,5th,6th
4th plays 3rd away and home to 5th, 6th
5th plays 3rd, 4th away, home to 6th
6th play 3rd,4th,5th away

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
3rd plays 6th at home
4th plays 5th at home

The two winners meet in a final. That should be the advantage of finishing 3rd and 4th.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
The play-offs should be left alone unless Brighton make it in which case we should be allowed to go up automatically.Seems fair.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
No.

Winner of 3rd v 4th goes straight to final.

Loser of 3rd v 4th gets a second chance, and plays at home to winners of 5th v 6th.

Oh right. Fair enough. Still think one leg matches are a risk though as it favours the underdog.

seagullhoop

Nov 6, 2012
Brighton

fallowfield32

Apr 22, 2016
I have been trying to look at the play offs without 'blue tinted' glasses on. We have both benefited from and felt hard done by the current play off system over the years - finishing 6th on the last day and being miles ahead in 3rd.
I was thinking that a system similar to the one used in F1 could solve some of the issues. In qualifying if a car isn't within 'x' seconds of the pole position car they are not allowed to start the race. Equating that to the play offs if the 6th placed team is more than say 5,7,10,15 (take your pick) behind the 3rd place team they are not included in the layoffs and the 3rd placed team go straight to the final play off position, 4th and 5th place teams carry on as is. Should the 6th place team get within the target points difference then they play the 3rd place team as is the case now.

The way I see it is it will a) reward the team that finishes 3rd and b) ensure the teams below play out the final fixtures 'competitively' in order to make sure that they accumulate enough points. I feel that that this will reduce (albeit not eliminate) the current situation where teams who are safe in positions 3-6 can just prepare for the play offs.

The criteria would be known to all teams before the start of the season so will not be 'unfair' on any of the top 6 teams..... Apologies if this idea has already been touted... UTA

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Whilst the playoff format could be changed I don't think it will be anytime soon, plus it would only work in our favour if we had the third spot. If we were in SW's position and been 6th and going to Wembly then who would be advocating change then?

I think you have to push for the top two spots and make the whole playoff lottery a moot point.

When you look at how we performed against the other top 6 sides over the season we were not strong enough against them.

Of the five home games we took six points. We leaked three against Boro, we gave away an equaliser two mins after scoring against Burnley and then gifted them a draw with the late penalty. Wilson saved our bacon against Derby with virtually the last kick of the game.

We drew all the five away games. Of course you'll always take a point away from home but we could have beaten Derby if not for conceding a late pen again.

All in all we got 11 points from a possible 30. Of all the points we dropped, almost 40% were against the other sides in contention for the top 6 spots. This does not include the cup loss to Hull and the playoff loss and draw to Wednesday.

I don't mean to take anything away from the great season we've had, not to mention the massive difference in the team quality and spirit between now and the start of the season. There are so many positives but the one thing needed is to be able to play well enough to beat the best teams. One extra point in those 10 games would have seen us over the line without any need to go through the pain of the play offs and that's what has to be the target for next season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh super - yet another thread about how to re-arrange the play-offs, with all the regular labyrinthian convolutions getting aired again! Hate the play-offs - but realise they're here to stay. Too much money involved.
Only sensible and workable change would be to retain the present format, but to add to the advantage of the higher placed teams by requiring the lower placed teams to actually beat the team that finished higher; a draw would send the higher placed team through. Wouldn't have helped us, I know, but would be fairer.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Pretty shortsighted to suggest gerrymandering the play-off format just because the current format didn't happen to fit with our particular circumstances this season. Any re-jigged format might equally work against us next season.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Just play each other SEVEN times like they do in North American sport playoffs. :thumbsup:

Flydye75

May 17, 2016
Brighton
Pretty shortsighted to suggest gerrymandering the play-off format just because the current format didn't happen to fit with our particular circumstances this season. Any re-jigged format might equally work against us next season.

Thats not the reason for suggesting changes, other than looking at our situation highlighted the 'unfairness' that can arrise to teams finishing higher - as has happened in the league one play off.

Most pundits also appreciate the system is flawed but enjoy the drama.

The weighted play off system (in one if the forms suggested above) would help with this.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thats not the reason for suggesting changes, other than looking at our situation highlighted the 'unfairness' that can arrise to teams finishing higher - as has happened in the league one play off.

Most pundits also appreciate the system is flawed but enjoy the drama.

The weighted play off system (in one if the forms suggested above) would help with this.

I'm pretty sure the simplicity of it is why they like it as it is. 5 televised games and everyone is clear what the format is. Start complicating that with 4th is at home, 3rd is already through, 5th has a playoff with 6th and your average Joe Bloggs tuning in around the globe ain't going to know what is going on.

It works because it turns into a pure cup competition. Take that away with weighting it in favour of positions and it ceases to be a cup or league format, you have some hybrid thing going on. The McIntyre system etc. isn't to work out a 3rd place, they use that to work out the champions - it's a different system to a league which determines a champion and runner up and is just working out a 3rd promotion spot.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Looking at the prices for the final at Wembley, I'm almost glad we didn't make it. Automatic next season please. Those tickets are eye wateringly pricey.

[tweet]732675499487580160[/tweet]

Flydye75

May 17, 2016
Brighton
I'm pretty sure the simplicity of it is why they like it as it is. 5 televised games and everyone is clear what the format is. Start complicating that with 4th is at home, 3rd is already through, 5th has a playoff with 6th and your average Joe Bloggs tuning in around the globe ain't going to know what is going on.

It works because it turns into a pure cup competition. Take that away with weighting it in favour of positions and it ceases to be a cup or league format, you have some hybrid thing going on. The McIntyre system etc. isn't to work out a 3rd place, they use that to work out the champions - it's a different system to a league which determines a champion and runner up and is just working out a 3rd promotion spot.

Not sure re your point about its different between deciding 3rd play of or league champion- you are just trying to find a 'winner' (final promotion spot or something else).

And if a bunch of auz rules fans can follow the basis of it I'm sure us thick footy fans can. ����

There are simpler versions suggested above. E.g 4th v 5th, winner plays 3rd in final, or 3rd goes up 4th ch plays 4th bottom in prem (won't happen).

Guess the question is do the national league keep the system as is, cos the drama and added jeopardy the simplicity and faults brings....or try and make it fairer for teams that have performed over 40 + games (Including Walsall and Accrington Stanley- exactly!) esp given what is now at stake?

Barnsley could get promoted having never been higher than 6th all season and were even bottom mid season. Over Walsall who have been top or top 3 all season. Exciting and great for bansley, but fair? I'd suggest not...even if it didn't favour Brighton in future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here