Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players with so much potential, who failed to deliver?

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Keiron Dyer - at Newcastle, before illness, he was playing brilliantly.

Woodgate - again, at Newcastle was becoming a class act. Injuries, job hopping, and the Real Madrid move ... combined to spoil.

Dyer would have been world class had the ability just not the body

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That young lad at Stoke now spending the rest of his life on prison for stabbing his gf 60 times in the head, neck and chest.

...or ten years, whichever is the sooner...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's not just Michael Owen: Robbie Fowler's career seemed to disappear once he left Liverpool. Joined a succession of progressively less and less successful clubs, despite being hailed as one of the most natural goalscorers in the English game.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
From an Albion perspective, the obvious one is Leon Knight. A waste of a career.

Another one who some may not agree with: Peter Ward. He scored goals for fun in his first few seasons, but in his last two seasons, playing in the top flight for Brighton & after he left, his goal scoring record was nothing remarkable.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
Wayne Harrison - Played about 5 games for Oldham and Liverpool signed him. He was going to be a superstar, got injured and never kicked a ball for the first team.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Sorry to hear that mate, i agree the guy is scum, i hate the minimum term life should be life

Thanks. I admit that I'm a bit sensitive on the subject. However having to tell my wife the news, and a few days later, explain to my 6 year old and 3 year old girls that Megan had been hurt by a bad man and had gone to heaven was something that will live with me forever.

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
time to be controversial , what did Peter Ward achieve after he went to Forest ?

still a legend in my eyes though !

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Michael Johnson.....could do a job?! Actually that's only half joking - at 24, if he's still got the skill, Charlie and Gus would be immense at mentoring someone like that. If they got him for nothing, and gave him a bit of tough love, shaped him up and sorted him out, he could still play a good level??

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
From an Albion perspective, the obvious one is Leon Knight. A waste of a career.

Another one who some may not agree with: Peter Ward. He scored goals for fun in his first few seasons, but in his last two seasons, playing in the top flight for Brighton & after he left, his goal scoring record was nothing remarkable.

Are you including 1979/80? 16 League goals in Division One for a team four places above relegation is pretty good going.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Francis Jeffers
Stewart Downing - looked like the new Giggs.... A long time ago
Joe Cole - Didn't live up to the wonder kid stuff
Shaun Wright-Philips - A TWENTY MILLION POUND PLAYER
Juan Veron
Djemba-Djemba - The new Roy Keane

For us I would have to say Jakey, the south coast michael owen!!

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'll chip in with Gael Kakuta - when you think of the grief Chelsea suffered over his signing including the disgrace of a transfer embargo and hefty fine but he has actually achieved nothing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here