Players with so much potential, who failed to deliver?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Would it not make sense to have a wage cap for players under the age of 23 so clubs don't start paying teenagers thousands of pounds a week. It could be say £10k for prem teams and then decreasing as you go down the leagues.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Would it not make sense to have a wage cap for players under the age of 23 so clubs don't start paying teenagers thousands of pounds a week. It could be say £10k for prem teams and then decreasing as you go down the leagues.

Yep and lets 'cap' any transfer fee's those clubs can demand and receive for those players !!!!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Why not put most of their money in trust until they're 25, and leave them a living wage. They can still earn the big bucks, but not collect until they're a bit older.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Why not put most of their money in trust until they're 25, and leave them a living wage. They can still earn the big bucks, but not collect until they're a bit older.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What about that whole team of the '80s ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Graeme Hick

The bloke who lasted 25 years in the first class game? The bloke who is eighth on the all-time century maker list and 15th in the all-time run maker list? One of only three players to have scored more than 20,000 one-day runs? The bloke who played 65 test matches and 120 ODIs? Yeah, he really failed to deliver.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
I wonder if Michah Richards will end up failing to deliver as he has found his way down the pecking order at city and didnt make the euros.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Why just footballers ??

I accept that some of the money swilling around in football can seem a bit obscene, but thankfully most footballers are decent. law abiding citizens.

Many only drink occasionally and can lead quite a boring existence, although we think it must be the ultimate thrill every day.

They already have advisers and most even lower league players can have a few highs, a little bit of adulation and a few disappointments but if careful most will have their mortgages paid off by their 30's.

Good luck to them I say, apart from the ones I dont like ;-)

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The bloke who lasted 25 years in the first class game? The bloke who is eighth on the all-time century maker list and 15th in the all-time run maker list? One of only three players to have scored more than 20,000 one-day runs? The bloke who played 65 test matches and 120 ODIs? Yeah, he really failed to deliver.

Yup, failure.

larus

I guess the implication is that he never achieved at the Test level what someone with his ability should have done. Same as Mark Ramprakash. Both top Class A players, but never really achieved at the highest level.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
i never knew that. Poor guy; always seemed like a little lost boy to me. Needed someone to offer decent advice/support to him.
Without wishing to make light of serious issues, he was mad. At Italia '90 he's be knocking on other players doors in the middle of the night asking for a kick-about. Like you say, he needed support and advice. As it was he played the fool and everyone loved it, so he carried on.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I guess the implication is that he never achieved at the Test level what someone with his ability should have done. Same as Mark Ramprakash. Both top Class A players, but never really achieved at the highest level.

He had a test average about 32 - not the highest but would it really be classed as a failure. There are also some extenuating circumstances: he suffered at the whims of selectors. In one series he had an average of 40 and got dropped: it must be very hard for anyone to play to his full potential. He was also playing against some fearsome players: Donald, Waqar, Wasim, Ambrose, Walsh, Hughes etc. I'd agree it was disappointing but I really can't see him as a failure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports