Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players with so much potential, who failed to deliver?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Jake Robinson
Michael Standing (better than Gareth Barry according to people who played against him)
John Bostock
Freddy Adu
Stan Collymore - Should have done so much more
Lee Sharpe
Neil Mellor

I hope Grant Hall isn't added to this list in future.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Russell Beardsmore - saw him destroy a great Liverpool team in the late eighties, but dropped down the leagues and spent most of his career at Bournemouth.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Certainly to me Freddy Adu stands out as the clear winner. He was touted as a 'wonderkid' aged 9 and was raved about for decade..

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Jonathan Woodgate and Chris Kirkland both due to injuries. Both would be approaching 100 international caps if there bodies weren't so brittle.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
As soon as I saw teh thread title I thought "David Bentley."

It all unravelled when he'd played for a bit at Arsenal, got into the England side and thought he'd made it. The Michael Johnson story just shows that if you pay these players ridiculous money at a younger and younger age, then they are liable to unravel at a younger and younger age.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
What ever happened to Zeke Rowe?? I think that was his name. came on loan from Chelsea and if memory serves mye well had a cracking game against Swindon away and was tipped to go onto better things

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
David Bentley was at one point being billed by the press as the new Beckham, must have all gone to his head. I think this is often a case with footballers that they think they are better than they actually are.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Paul Gascoigne - he should have been an England legend (in the true sense of the word). He had so much class and ability, but lacked the discipline and England were, sadly, much worse off for that.
To be fair, it wasn't that he lacked discipline, he has Tourette's and never got the help he needed. It's strange that even as recently as 1990 clubs were so incapable of looking after their valuable assets.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
As soon as I saw teh thread title I thought "David Bentley."

It all unravelled when he'd played for a bit at Arsenal, got into the England side and thought he'd made it. The Michael Johnson story just shows that if you pay these players ridiculous money at a younger and younger age, then they are liable to unravel at a younger and younger age.

But in reality most don't.

Whether you pay them exorbitant amounts of money early or not there still is a risk they don't fulfil any perceived potential.

Most go on to have a very good career, others a mediocre career it has always been that way whether money is there or not.

There are casualties and maybe money too early can be a problem, but when there was less money the constraints of discipline were less too and the players of yesteryear were maybe more likely to unravel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here