Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Players that just didn’t quite cut it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well, he played 20-odd games over two seasons, scored a handful of goals, the team finished mid table, he was injured most of the time and he left under a cloud abusing the manager. It wasn't what I was hoping for when we signed him and was ultimately disappointing. He obviously could *cut it* in the championship though

Yes matey - if the thread title was ‘players who’s offering to the Albion was seriously hindered by injury’ I’d expect him and KLL etc to appear. In terms of ‘players that didn’t quite cut it’ I take as players that promised a lot but didn’t deliver. He certainly did cut it when he played!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
James Wilson. Was well excited when we got a ManU WONDERKID in on loan. Expected him to really kick on during his time with us. Instead he mainly threw up.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Can someone help me work out who this player was. When Horton was manager, we signed a midfielder and then within a few days sold him. He was at the club for a week at most. I don't think he played a game for us, maybe 1 preseason friendly at most. We either signed him from or sold him to Hibernian, but I can't remember which way round it was. I know it's really vague, but someone must remember what I'm talking about.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Can someone help me work out who this player was. When Horton was manager, we signed a midfielder and then within a few days sold him. He was at the club for a week at most. I don't think he played a game for us, maybe 1 preseason friendly at most. We either signed him from or sold him to Hibernian, but I can't remember which way round it was. I know it's really vague, but someone must remember what I'm talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Holsgrove

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/6708856.currie-switch-was-great-business/

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Raphael Meade. He couldn't have asked for better partners than Byrne and Gall.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nicky Rust. I was sure he was going to play for England one day :lolol:

A strange one indeed, he looked absolute class for a while got an injury and when he came back he was so bad I started to wonder if the player I was watching was a ringer

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
David Livermore. Signed from Championship Hull (having cost them £500k), also played in the Championship and the FA Cup Final with Millwall. I had such high expectations of him when he rocked up at Withdean. 16 games later he was on loan at Luton, and ended up at Barnet.

I thought Livermore and Chris Birchall (an international!) would be the midfield dream team. Instead they were nowhere when Fraser and Loft were saving us from relegation.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Mark Farrington. Was a big money signing for cash strapped Albion at the time. A huge disappointment.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Have we had Jason Peake yet? In proportion to our nett worth at the time, he would cost tens of millions today.
In common with Farrington and Harley (and Vicente?) they all scored at least one 'worldie'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here