Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Players that just didn’t quite cut it.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Kazenga

The number of times the excitement in the stadium rose when he came on as sub (as he oftem did) and got on the ball - but all too rarely actually delivered. Or if he did for a game or two, he'd eventually get a start - and then not deliver.

And then there was that season when he was in fire for the first half dozen games, was scoring for fun, got Championship Player of the Month - and promptly got injured. And was never the same afterwards.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Good guy Hawkins and a good footballer - often players don't make it because of what they do - in Hawkins case pretty much everything went against him while he was in England.

Really, just like that bullet headed own goal ?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Good guy Hawkins and a good footballer - often players don't make it because of what they do - in Hawkins case pretty much everything went against him while he was in England.

People tend to forget too, that he was playing in a very poor Brighton team, and that can drag you down. A million miles from the Premier League outfit that we are today.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Schelotto

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
C26FA7F4-9A9C-4086-8C7C-515B3489844C.png

It’s got to be at least a year since he cut it.

66A33057-A116-48BB-9B70-6D1AC184E0D1.jpeg

This chap seems to done a better job. A bit excessive, perhaps?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Kazenga

The number of times the excitement in the stadium rose when he came on as sub (as he oftem did) and got on the ball - but all too rarely actually delivered. Or if he did for a game or two, he'd eventually get a start - and then not deliver.

And then there was that season when he was in fire for the first half dozen games, was scoring for fun, got Championship Player of the Month - and promptly got injured. And was never the same afterwards.

Complete opposite on league 1 at Withdean though to be fair... Was exciting to go just to watch him!

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Jeff Minton. Should have had a much better career

I guess it depends on how you define "not cutting it". If your talking about the greatest Albion players of all time or in terms of the footballing world as a whole, then maybe not. But in that moment in time, while playing for that Brighton team I would say Jeff Minton cut it. During a time when we were playing some awful football, he was regularly one of our better players if not the best.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I guess it depends on how you define "not cutting it". If your talking about the greatest Albion players of all time or in terms of the footballing world as a whole, then maybe not. But in that moment in time, while playing for that Brighton team I would say Jeff Minton cut it. During a time when we were playing some awful football, he was regularly one of our better players if not the best.

Absolutely. I was truly gutted when he went, he was by far our best player at the time.

Another vote for CMS here though. To be honest I’m always desperate for new strikers to do well as my favourite Albion players have always been strikers - Nelson, Byrne, Nogan, Zamora, Knight, Ulloa Murray - so I will always massively back then and stick up for them as I want another hero to add to the list!

Other players I’ve stuck up for over the years (despite a lot of stick from fans around me at times!) but didn’t really make it include Jake Robinson, Stephen Dobbie, COG, Craig Davies, Liam Dickinson.

Woe betide anyone who gives Maupay or Connolly stick now! [emoji846]

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Matt Wicks - Never lived up to the hype of his youth career.

John Sullivan - Sad story.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Absolutely. I was truly gutted when he went, he was by far our best player at the time.

Another vote for CMS here though. To be honest I’m always desperate for new strikers to do well as my favourite Albion players have always been strikers - Nelson, Byrne, Nogan, Zamora, Knight, Ulloa Murray - so I will always massively back then and stick up for them as I want another hero to add to the list!

Other players I’ve stuck up for over the years (despite a lot of stick from fans around me at times!) but didn’t really make it include Jake Robinson, Stephen Dobbie, COG, Craig Davies, Liam Dickinson.

Woe betide anyone who gives Maupay or Connolly stick now! [emoji846]

How can you have Dobbie on that list and not Will Hoskins.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Bit of a random one, but Sam Rents. Always thought he was okay...ish for us and he’d forge out a solid lower league career. Vanished in to non league rapidly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here