Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Players that just didn’t quite cut it.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Craig Davies, showed flashes of being some at that level player but also had a stinking attitude.

Oh I think I got this one mixed up, you mean players we like personally but weren’t really good enough footballers for the level we were at? El-Abd when we went up to the championship would be one.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I guess it depends on how you define "not cutting it". If your talking about the greatest Albion players of all time or in terms of the footballing world as a whole, then maybe not. But in that moment in time, while playing for that Brighton team I would say Jeff Minton cut it. During a time when we were playing some awful football, he was regularly one of our better players if not the best.

Yes, I know what you are saying. He was pretty good amongst a lot of dross.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We didn’t even need CMS unfortunately Poyet’s ego did. Poyet must be the only manager ever to a actively want rid of his top scorer.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
David Gipp whose record in the reserves was akin to that of Wardy but never got to the Tony Cottee level to which he aspired.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Dale Stephens.( It's a jooooooke!)

Seriously though, I genuinely thought Rohan Ince was going to be a star.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Another vote for Chris O'Grady.

Smashing bloke , I really wanted him to break through.

Wrong time, wrong club unfortunately, but has made a fair career for himself in the lower divisions. All for northern clubs funnily enough, the one time he ventured south of the Watford Gap, it all went horribly wrong.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Mental call imo. Injuries aside, he was the best player I’ve seen in the stripes hands down!

Well, he played 20-odd games over two seasons, scored a handful of goals, the team finished mid table, he was injured most of the time and he left under a cloud abusing the manager. It wasn't what I was hoping for when we signed him and was ultimately disappointing. He obviously could *cut it* in the championship though

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Rohan Ince looked a real prospect for a few games, but then rapidly went backwards. Not sure what happened there.

Darren Currie. Picked up as a free agent, played half a season and looked like he was going to be a great player for us till Ipswich caught on and nabbed him. At least we made £250k out of him.

David Livermore. Signed from Championship Hull (having cost them £500k), also played in the Championship and the FA Cup Final with Millwall. I had such high expectations of him when he rocked up at Withdean. 16 games later he was on loan at Luton, and ended up at Barnet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here