Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Players leaving?

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Everyone assumes there will be a mass exodus of players and/or manager in the summer but I do wonder if this is true. We are not desperate for money and yes we are geared up for player sales to supplement the business. It’s not as if we have to sell our major stars though but more that they want to move on like Trossard, Cucu and Biss. These are a mostly young group of players with plenty of time left in the careers. Just now we are a project that could create history for the club and play in Europe next season. They appear to be like a family and all enjoy playing together so what’s the rush?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Everyone assumes there will be a mass exodus of players and/or manager in the summer but I do wonder if this is true. We are not desperate for money and yes we are geared up for player sales to supplement the business. It’s not as if we have to sell our major stars though but more that they want to move on like Trossard, Cucu and Biss. These are a mostly young group of players with plenty of time left in the careers. Just now we are a project that could create history for the club and play in Europe next season. They appear to be like a family and all enjoy playing together so what’s the rush?
Money money and money will be the key imo. Why would Alexis and Moises want to stay here if they could triple their wages at least and get a signing on bonus for a bigger club than us. Depends if being a guaranteed starter holds sway with them I guess.

I will be shocked and delighted if we hold on to both of them

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I agree with you - but you and I don't think like a PL footballer earning £50K a week and looking for £100K a week. Their minds work differently form ordinary people!

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I don't think anyone is assuming anybody leaving beyond probably Mac Allister and possibly Caicedo. That's it.
Yeah, maybe I listen to too much rubbish being spouted but it seems to me the manager is always rumoured to be on his way and various other stuff about our players.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I don't think anyone is assuming anybody leaving beyond probably Mac Allister and possibly Caicedo. That's it.
This.

I personally think Mitoma‘s career development is best served with us ( but what do I know 😂) at 25 he’s still got time for at least one life changing transfer.

What I do hope is that we invest a large amount of the income from Mac and Moises in ready made replacements who can hit the ground running?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not everyone. Got a few posts dating back to January thinking we could well be keeping most of this squad together.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
was discussing this just now with man u , liverpool , chelsea fans ....all mates and very pragmatic except for the price ....."why would we pay 80 million for a player you only paid 6 million for" was the question .....all i had to say was Maguire , Vandyke and Mhudryk and i think they got the picture .....if we give the existing squad a 10 - 15 % pay rise across the board it would be interesting to see who stays , the dirty red bastard said that his nephew is a real estate agent in Huyton(sic?) and reckons McAllister's bird has been up there looking at properties ...i called massive BS but he stood by it.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Resigned to Mac Allister and Caicedo leaving this summer. Too many rich sides in need of quality centre midfielders.

Gilmour's emergence and Moder's return can cushion the blow somewhat but a lot of the names we're being linked with are first team ready centre midfielders - we seem to be trying to pre-empt their sales and for good reason because prices will all go up after we've sold those two for big bucks.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Resigned to Mac Allister and Caicedo leaving this summer. Too many rich sides in need of quality centre midfielders.

Gilmour's emergence and Moder's return can cushion the blow somewhat but a lot of the names we're being linked with are first team ready centre midfielders - we seem to be trying to pre-empt their sales and for good reason because prices will all go up after we've sold those two for big bucks.
Arsenal appear to have their sights set on Rice.
Chelsea without European football and FFP to worry about probably aren't in the market.
ManUtd will go all out for Kane, they already have cover in midfield.
ManCity again have a lot of players already in that area.
Spurs - maybe, but doubt they have the money.
Liverpool - that is a clear one for say Caicedo or MacA, but if they end up in the same European competition as us, who is to say they won't be tempted to give us another year?
Then you have your top Spanish sides and PSG. But are Caicedo and MacA really on their radars I wonder?

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
There are also a few players who have found themselves increasingly on the fringes who might leave for gametime and earn us a few bob - Sánchez, van Hecke, Lamptey...

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Not everyone assumes that because I don't for one. Most people in the media seem to assume it: Sutton is adamant that De Zerbi is leaving in the summer for instance and the rumour mill is in full swing around half the squad. But these rumours are just that: rumours. You may as well sacrifice a chicken and study its entrails as look on Twatter to find out who will be leaving. The thing is these commentators assume this because of what has happened historically in football over the last few decades: a little club over achieves then the big clubs buy their best players and steal the manager.

However there is some evidence that maybe Tony Bloom and co might do things a bit differently. Whilst financially we still can't compete with the billionaire clubs the relative parity in TV money together with the FFP rules (however weakly enforced) means that this gulf is less than it was before. We don't roll over for other clubs: we outright refused to sell Caicedo in January and wouldn't be low-balled by Man City for Cucu last August whilst Biss and Tross went because their contracts were coming to an end and we had adequate replacements coming through.

I shall be sad but not shocked if we sell one of our stars this summer, I will be disappointed if we sell two and stunned if we sell more than that. Even then whilst my heart will be breaking my head will be telling me that it is extremely likely that we have a batch of new players coming in and the team will be even stronger next year.

Put it this way: do you think we are missing Ben White, Dan Burn, Cucu, Biss or even Trossard all that badly? In this, our best season ever?

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
We will 100% sell Alexis. I would be absolutely amazed if he’s with us come the start of next season. That’s fine, he’s earned the move and that fee will cover most of the spending we want to do.

Caicedo is more 50/50 and I reckon we could get one more season from him.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the signs are there that Alexis is off to Liverpool, and that bit of business could be done swiftly. I don't think the fee will be far off £80mill.

Mitoma - I think he has not been at his best and shown signs of tiredness after 35 matches, but compare that to say Mo Salah (47 matches), Jarrod Bowen (46 matches) or Bukayo Saka (44 matches) who are still very consistent. I'd argue he needs another season here to improve mentally and physically, otherwise he could find himself a Top 6 bench player, which would be a shame for him and the Premier League.

Lining up Joao Pedro is smart business from the Albion, as he could potentially come in if Mitoma left.

As for Caicedo, you would hope that the Ecuador / South American thing and European football might be enough to make him stay for another season. It's unlikely, but could happen if you factor in the strong possibility that both Chelsea and Spurs could miss out of European football and are in total disarray.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Not everyone assumes that because I don't for one. Most people in the media seem to assume it: Sutton is adamant that De Zerbi is leaving in the summer for instance and the rumour mill is in full swing around half the squad. But these rumours are just that: rumours. You may as well sacrifice a chicken and study its entrails as look on Twatter to find out who will be leaving. The thing is these commentators assume this because of what has happened historically in football over the last few decades: a little club over achieves then the big clubs buy their best players and steal the manager.

However there is some evidence that maybe Tony Bloom and co might do things a bit differently. Whilst financially we still can't compete with the billionaire clubs the relative parity in TV money together with the FFP rules (however weakly enforced) means that this gulf is less than it was before. We don't roll over for other clubs: we outright refused to sell Caicedo in January and wouldn't be low-balled by Man City for Cucu last August whilst Biss and Tross went because their contracts were coming to an end and we had adequate replacements coming through.

I shall be sad but not shocked if we sell one of our stars this summer, I will be disappointed if we sell two and stunned if we sell more than that. Even then whilst my heart will be breaking my head will be telling me that it is extremely likely that we have a batch of new players coming in and the team will be even stronger next year.

Put it this way: do you think we are missing Ben White, Dan Burn, Cucu, Biss or even Trossard all that badly? In this, our best season ever?
That’s true and by ‘everyone’ I meant those in the media who are looking for clicks. Certainly agree we haven’t missed those players that’s for sure. Ali Mac may be faking it but he looked pretty sincere to me about how he felt about the club and Caicedo seems to have had a genuine change of heart. I suppose I am hoping that the gang stay together for a grand push in European competition. Probably dreaming on my part but it wasn’t long ago the thought would never have entered my mind.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Alexis is going, of that I have no doubt and expect him to be at Liverpool next season.
We have his replacement already in Buonanotte and Joao Pedro.

Caicedo, not so sure as his price will be so high. If he does go I think we’ll move for Davide Frattesi to replace him. There are already links with him playing under De Zerbi previously.
Other than that we’ll resist all other offers , if there are any.
We have players breaking through as well such as Gilmour, Enciso, and Ferguson.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I think the masterplan necessitates the sale of players - for both profit and to allow the younger ones into the first team. Yes, I too think Mac and Cac will be off for a bucketload of money, but I don’t think that Mac really wants to leave the club but obviously knows the benefits of playing for a Liverpool in terms of money and trophies - he has nothing to prove in terms of his standing in the game.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Yeah, maybe I listen to too much rubbish being spouted but it seems to me the manager is always rumoured to be on his way and various other stuff about our players.
Don't listen to BBC Sounds Euro Leagues from last night then. I did and put a downer on the night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here