Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings vs West Ham

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
Yes criticise the strikers, Dunk, Ryan and Trossard who have really poor all season and let Potter down badly or White for today. But not March when he was excellent today and has been all season. You highlight he doesn’t do enough in the final third - he created two goals today and apparently that’s still not enough?

Of course posters can give an opinion, but when an opinion is so completely wrong like yours and some others of March, then it needs to be called out. March is a quality player, one of our best.

That is a stretch that he created two goals... On the first goal, he brings the ball to a dead stop, Burn is wide open 15 feet away, so he passes to Burn, Burn crosses to Maupay, Maupay mis-controls it and gives it to West Ham player, West Ham player makes a mistake and passes the ball back to Maupay, Maupay turns around and scores.
And in the second goal, March's cross goes to West Ham defender who heads the ball into Dunk who somehow magically controls an upward moving ball to drop to his feet without using his arm and kicks it into goal.

It is almost like saying Jahanbakhsh's bicycle kick against Chelsea was set up by the ball boy who gave the ball to our player who took the corner, his corner going to Dunk who headed it behind Jahanbakhsh so he could bicycle kick it in.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
If Lamptey continues to struggle with his fitness, March is in pole position for player of the season in my opinion.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sanchez 6 - Not great on the 1st goal but not much else to do.

Webster 8 - Possibly best game for the club. Showed the ability he has.
Dunk 5 - Scored but badly at fault for the 2nd goal
Burn 7 - Very good 1st half faded a little.

White 5 - Culpable on both goals. Needs to strengthen but that is age as much as anything. Will learn from today.
Bissouma 8 - Magnificent 1st half found it harder in the 2nd but another good performance.
Lallana 6 - Very good half but again it was a half. A worry
March 8.5 - Picks the wrong ball from time to time but really growing into the wing back role.MoM

Trossard 5 - Flatters to deceive too much for me. Disappears from games. Not sure he is going to make it..
Maupay 7 - Took the goal well, doesn't look happy but so what, he is our most likely to score
Welbeck 7 - Link play and movement are good but his goal threat is minimal. Part of our best pairing though

Alzate 5 - Looked off the pace again, hard to come into a game from the bench but needs to offer more.
Gross & Ali J - Not on long enough

Excellent post. Solly, Bissouma and Webster had a great game.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Vying with Bissouma?

Yeah, I'd put them as neck-and-neck at the top. I think I'd go with Solly, only because he looks like creating more goal scoring opportunities. Not sure if the stats back that feeling up though!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Both at fault, but Sky were damning of Dunk post match and rightly so. A pathetic non-header that caused the entire problem .... that was a bread n butter headed clearance for any CB in the game.

I also blame this sodding zonal marking, it never has and never will work. Really at a loss to why it is deployed. I’ve only coached at basic level but I know you to have man markers and run blockers we have neither. The amount of goals we concede from set plays tells me the coaching is wrong.

Also great points made on motd the closing down out wide is criminally bad.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
If Lamptey continues to struggle with his fitness, March is in pole position for player of the season in my opinion.

I agree. Right now, I think Solly March is going to be Player of the Season. And if he wins that award, we'll have been relegated. He's been our best player and we've played 15 games and won 2 of them. That isn't March's fault, obviously - but if he's our best player than we're not doing very well. The team around him needs to wake up and start playing because otherwise we're going to play lovely football (if you're not a Brighton fan wanting to see us win) and be relegated. Right now we're crap because our best player isn't capable of doing very much unless left completely alone, where he whipped in a lovely cross. Put him under pressure and he's a house of cards ready to crumble. He invited Yarmolenko onto his left foot, the single thing he's got in his game and in other times he continued to show how naive he is defensively.

All that said, I absolutely would be voting for him as Player of the Season if the vote were held tomorrow.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I also blame this sodding zonal marking, it never has and never will work. Really at a loss to why it is deployed. I’ve only coached at basic level but I know you to have man markers and run blockers we have neither. The amount of goals we concede from set plays tells me the coaching is wrong.

Also great points made on motd the closing down out wide is criminally bad.

Whether it be zonal or mtm, I said to my son we should’ve put our tallest defender against Soucek. He buries EPL headers with regularity. Not hindsight, I pointed out the danger of Soucek on the match day thread half an hour before kick off.

That goal was criminal from an Albion perceptive.

Separately, do we have a key player organising all this at each set piece? You can see/have seen the likes of VVD, Kompany, even Cullip being the vocal and organisational boss before a defensive set piece. It works.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree. Right now, I think Solly March is going to be Player of the Season. And if he wins that award, we'll have been relegated. He's been our best player and we've played 15 games and won 2 of them. That isn't March's fault, obviously - but if he's our best player than we're not doing very well. The team around him needs to wake up and start playing because otherwise we're going to play lovely football (if you're not a Brighton fan wanting to see us win) and be relegated. Right now we're crap because our best player isn't capable of doing very much unless left completely alone, where he whipped in a lovely cross. Put him under pressure and he's a house of cards ready to crumble. He invited Yarmolenko onto his left foot, the single thing he's got in his game and in other times he continued to show how naive he is defensively.

All that said, I absolutely would be voting for him as Player of the Season if the vote were held tomorrow.

Nonsense, he beats RB’s with ease this season, turning them inside out.

Sheffield United ended up in the last 30 minutes with two men on Solly, whether it be their left or right wing. Wilder spotting that Solly was the main threat.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
That is a stretch that he created two goals... On the first goal, he brings the ball to a dead stop, Burn is wide open 15 feet away, so he passes to Burn, Burn crosses to Maupay, Maupay mis-controls it and gives it to West Ham player, West Ham player makes a mistake and passes the ball back to Maupay, Maupay turns around and scores.
And in the second goal, March's cross goes to West Ham defender who heads the ball into Dunk who somehow magically controls an upward moving ball to drop to his feet without using his arm and kicks it into goal.

It is almost like saying Jahanbakhsh's bicycle kick against Chelsea was set up by the ball boy who gave the ball to our player who took the corner, his corner going to Dunk who headed it behind Jahanbakhsh so he could bicycle kick it in.

No, it really isn’t at all is it. That is a pathetic comparison.

If you can’t appreciate March’s role in those two goals, including his quick thinking and excellent cross for the second, then there’s no hope.

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
No, it really isn’t at all is it. That is a pathetic comparison.

If you can’t appreciate March’s role in those two goals, including his quick thinking and excellent cross for the second, then there’s no hope.

Then I guess I don't appreciate his role in those two goals and there is no hope. He had a good game and is having a great season, but to say that he set up two goals when his cross goes straight to their defender and he makes a simple pass, four passes before we score is a stretch which is what my post was trying to point out.

Jan 14, 2008
Windsor ontario
Watch it again, you are talking shite.
Dunk also to blame as you say, but White lost his man.

If dunk makes the header and clears it the fact white lost his man is a moot point . Absolutely shocking that dunk doesn’t even jump and lets it skim off his head . It’s laughable that some of these experts actually blamed white to begin with ....clueless.
Bottom line it’s a crap goal to Concede when we looked comfortable . Disappointing that we constantly find crap ways to gift teams soft goals when we control large parts of these recent games

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Couldn’t agree more. Credit to Potter who’s given Solly the confidence he lost once we got promoted.

Imho he’ll be a deserved top flight player for many seasons ahead, with or without us.

Having a great season.

Solly gets my vote too although I feel that Bissjust beat him to MoM today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Sanchez-6 Didn't command at set pieces.
Webster 8 - Good performance. Great going forwards.
Dunk 6.5 Actually got a goal from a corner!!!!! But was partly to blame for their 2nd and seems to have dropped a level recently.
Burn 7 - Despite all the knockers when the team was announced he justified his place and was full of running and supported March well going forwards.
White 6- Good with the ball but partly to blame for their goal.
Bissouma 7.5 - Not as brilliant as he can be but still a very good performance.
Lallana 6 - Disappointed with him today. Not as effective as usual and off sick again???
March 7.5 - If only we had had a similar threat from the other wing. some great crosses and is beginning to take players on.
Trossard 6 - Promises so much but delivers so little. Very clever player but needs to create chances or take them.
Welbeck 6 - I can see why he hasn't scored that many. Often just a little too late to the cross. Great player though and works really hard. Needs a settled partnership with someone.
Maupay 6.5 - Good to see him score at last. Works so hard for the team but lacked that final touch.

Subs:
Alzate 5.5 - Perhaps we should play him at RWB as he doesn't do much in midfield these days. Was supposed to be a real star in the making. What happened?
Gross-N/A Very disappointed to see him replace a striker after their 2nd.
AJ - A sub to waste time and hang on for the point?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Couldn’t agree more. Credit to Potter who’s given Solly the confidence he lost once we got promoted.

Imho he’ll be a deserved top flight player for many seasons ahead, with or without us.

Having a great season.

Great point re Potter.

This is comfortably Solly’s best form since the championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have been a March critic over the last few seasons but this season he has turned into one of our best players, struggle to see why some others can’t see it. One of our most reliable performers and I don’t recall his last “stinker”

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Can someone find the Trossard who played against M Utd, he is not PL class at the moment the cold weather doesn't suit him

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Sanchez 4. Poor distribution, a flapped cross, statuesque for the 2nd goal. If that had been Ryan this place would be in meltdown. We need a new keeper in Jan. Warning signs were there yesterday.

Dunk 5. What was he doing for the 2nd goal?
Webster 8. Superb. Drove forward. Best defender on the pitch. Surely will score soon.
White 5. Nice footwork and attacking positional play let down by lack of strength and aerial ability. Twice the player of Duffy. Half the heart.
Burn 5. Can thank March for providing cover. All the West ham threat from his side. Not a LB at this level.

Bissouma 8. Pretty faultless. Turning out to be top class. How long left on his contract?
Trossard 5. Lazy going back and offers little going forward. Runs into cul de sacs. Frustrating as there is a player in there which only comes out once in a while.
Lallana. 6. We need more than 45 out of him. He seems to be our glue.
March 8.5. Superb today. Him, Lamptey and Bissouma are 3 players of the season so far.

Maupay 4. Goal aside, abject. Hard working which hides his lack of quality on the ball. Has been consistently poor since he was dropped.
Wellbeck 5. Kept quiet. Our best forward by some distance. Let's hope he stays injury free.

Alzate 5. Didn't come off for him today.

Potter. 5. I don't know what they do in training but more heading practice and less sideways passing please. There has been more than enough time to sort this set piece defending debacle out. Show some balls and tell Ashworth what you need rather than you can work with what you've got in this window and next. We should be doing better.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sanchez 4. Poor distribution, a flapped cross, statuesque for the 2nd goal. If that had been Ryan this place would be in meltdown. We need a new keeper in Jan. Warning signs were there yesterday.

Dunk 5. What was he doing for the 2nd goal?
Webster 8. Superb. Drove forward. Best defender on the pitch. Surely will score soon.
White 5. Nice footwork and attacking positional play let down by lack of strength and aerial ability. Twice the player of Duffy. Half the heart.
Burn 5. Can thank March for providing cover. All the West ham threat from his side. Not a LB at this level.

Bissouma 8. Pretty faultless. Turning out to be top class. How long left on his contract?
Trossard 5. Lazy going back and offers little going forward. Runs into cul de sacs. Frustrating as there is a player in there which only comes out once in a while.
Lallana. 6. We need more than 45 out of him. He seems to be our glue.
March 8.5. Superb today. Him, Lamptey and Bissouma are 3 players of the season so far.

Maupay 4. Goal aside, abject. Hard working which hides his lack of quality on the ball. Has been consistently poor since he was dropped.
Wellbeck 5. Kept quiet. Our best forward by some distance. Let's hope he stays injury free.

Alzate 5. Didn't come off for him today.

Potter. 5. I don't know what they do in training but more heading practice and less sideways passing please. There has been more than enough time to sort this set piece defending debacle out. Show some balls and tell Ashworth what you need rather than you can work with what you've got in this window and next. We should be doing better.
Saved me the bother. That's more or less how I saw the game. We do need a reliable left back as well as a striker and probably a keeper in my view. Burn tries hard but he really isn't good enough, and Sanchez just doesn't convince me, I don't think I trust his positioning.

I can't believe the pelters that March gets on here from time to time. I think he was excellent yesterday and has been superbly consistent all season. As you say, one of our players of the season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here