Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings from Tonight

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Tomasz Kuszczak 8 Kicking is incredibly poor, considering his pedigree. But his shot stopping and his overall goalkeeping is fantastic and I don't think we need him to do anything with his feet, the priority is keeping clean sheets. He has that art down to a tee, he is THE man.
Bruno 10 Incredible performance. Apart from his free kick in the first half (!), he was sublime. The chap next to me was filling in for the regular lady and asked me what he's like, I said he was re-defining magnificence. By the end, the chap was patting me on the back and telling me I called it spot on.
Adam El-Abd 8 Man mountain. I can't believe the transformation from crap League 1 defender to dominant Championship first choice centre back, Bothroyd might not have been too worried up front but he is bigger physically but El-Abd controlled him from start to finish.
Gordon Greer 7 Hard to rate him any higher considering I don't really think he had to do much. El-Abd was chief Bothroyd bully and Greer let him do what he does whilst covering in behind should anything have gone wrong, but it never did. A brilliant partnership.
Wayne Bridge 9 His little moment in the first half right in front of me where he picked up the ball and flicked it over Antonio's head and ran on to it whilst keeping the ball completely under control was amazing. This is our LEFT BACK. Style, class and had wingers in his pocket.
Liam Bridcutt 9 His range of passing is sublime, and he never looks rushed. Strong in the tackle, quick footballing brain and works incredibly hard. Seemed to get forward a bit more than usual, he rotated brilliantly with Dicker and Hammond. Our midfield used to be weak, now we have embarrassing strength.
Dean Hammond 9 Inspired signing. Gus must have known he'd cop some flack, and so would Hammond. But they both ignored it to get the deal done and you can see why, he did exactly what we want. Both goals were fantastic finishes, despite them being disallowed. Fit in seamlessly.
Gary Dicker 8 Sublime. I don't think he's got much of a chance of staying in the side when Crofts is fit, because Hammond and Bridcutt are both far too good to drop out of the side so I suspect Dicker will find himself as the odd man out but has the class required to continue being an important player.
Will Buckley 8 Didn't think he looked too good first half, or second really. Obviously working his way back in, but he's always involved when it matters. He just seems to have the knack of being in the right place, and his finish was fantastic, and so was the first touch preceeding it too.
Ashley Barnes 7 Not really involved as much as he would have been, but he got through his defensive work as usual and helped the team to tick over. I think he was involved in the Hammond first disallowed goal. Not really in the game but did his role for the team and there's a lot of value in that.
Craig Mackail-Smith 8 The defenders were crap, and he punished them. Like against Barnsley, put him against clumsy oafs at the back and he's going to cause them all sorts of problems. They hated him, and probably had nightmares about him last night. Chances starting to fall for him which is crucial.

Subs
Stephen Dobbie 7 Loved the outrageous long range attempt, and looks to have all the class we're hoping for.
Andrea Orlandi 6 Couldn't really get involved, didn't have enough time but encouraging signs.
David Lopez 6 Same as Orlandi really. Watched the half time sub parade and he was knocking the ball around with effortless class. Loved it.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Tomas 8.5 Best save at the Amex?
Bruno 9 Sublime pass for Buckers goal and a great long throw, reminds me of Rory Delap in his prime
Greer 7
El Abd 7
Bridge 8 Swashbuckling
Bridcutt 7
Hammond 5 (marked down for the goal celebration for Southampton)
Barnes 2 (I told you I was right about him)
Dicker 7 (too many passes to feet, he should be aiming six feet higher)
Buckley 7
CMS 8

Subs: 6's apart from Dobbie 5 (a sub striker who is less than 6 foot 3 will never get a high mark from me, we need a game changer)

Still too much negative and boring football for me, but it will do for now until we get a manager in who understands the game properly.
:D ENresT in disguise!:clap:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
All this about Kuszczak being poor at kicking, it was not his choice to try and hit Barnes on the wing that came from Gus (or directly from the keeping coach via Gus) through the second half.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
All this about Kuszczak being poor at kicking, it was not his choice to try and hit Barnes on the wing that came from Gus (or directly from the keeping coach via Gus) through the second half.

It's not just shanking goal kicks out of play though is it, you can see the players are uncomfortable a lot of the time getting it back to him. I'm not having a go at him for it at ALL, it's just not relevant for a goalkeeper most of the time. If he does the goalkeeper stuff well, that's enough for me. Anything else is a bonus.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Kuszczak 8.5 no-one has mentioned the strong left arm he got to a dinked Bothroyd cross before his super-save from the header. Add to that some great positioning, excellent fiekding of crosses, and the ball not bouncing off him back to their forwards and he is the best news we have had in goal since Moseley and (maybe) Beeney. His kickingis the single suspect part of his game but as he distributes the ball short (usually to Greer or ElAbd) 4 times out of 5 it really is not an issue

Bruno 10 two of the best assists I have seen in a decade and from a fullback! Not to mention some sublime trickery down the wing and excellent positional cover and tackling. Potentially the best footballer (Vicente included) in terms of balancing committment and skill to have graced the team in years

Bridge 8.5 exceptional quality and drive to play a full part - I hold my head in shame that I doubted his committment

Greer 7 steady Eddie

ElAbd 8 has added the role of central distributive pivot as his self belief grows game by game

Hammond 8 covered a lot of territory moving the ball positively and always available. He must want to take Wednesday's midfield around with him to play every week as they allowed him to play way too far forward but you still have to do the job

Bridcutt 8.5 always available and recovers the ball on the rare occassions he misses a tackle. Ridiculously good in the air for a relatively small man. Moves the ball with simple positive passes that hurt the opposition

Dicker 7 good game. More positive than sometimes of late and less prone to losing the ball. Offsets lack of pace with vision and a good footballing brain

Barnes 7.5 not as incisive as in the first two or three games maybe but gets half a mark for winning a couple of freekicks in dangerous positions - more goals are scored from dead ball situations than open play as a general rule so winning dead ball opportunities is crucial. Gets another point for creating the most exciting free flowing move of the match when he broke from defence with a covering header before running forward then passing wide to CMS in the move that eventually lead to Kirkland clawing away Macca's goal bound header from the top corner

CMS 8 looking like the player we hoped we had signed and could easily have had a hat trick

Buckley 7 great control for the goal and his pace could (maybe should) have brought him 2 more

subs: too many in the same areas of the pitch at the same period - it disrupted our play and we lost fluidity but no less useful for getting the new guys on the field and officially blooded

Jimmy Grimble

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Out of interest - do you include the scores from spoof accounts when you calculate the average?

Not knowingly. For example, I haven't included Mr Bum's ratings. If it's not obvious, I may have accidentally included them.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Kuszczak 9

Bruno 10
El-Abd 8
Greer 8
Bridge 9

Hammond 8
Bridcutt 7
Dicker 7