Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings Brighton v coventry

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
1. Ankegren - 6 - Relatively easy comeback game, but was competent in everything he dealt with.
2. Calderon - 6 - Mixed bag, great link up play and forward bursts, but defending and control were poor at times.
3. Painter - 6 - Steady whilst on.
4. Greer - 6 - Gave the ball away which contributed to their goal, otherwise another solid game.
5. Dunk - 6 - Looks a class act, but needs to eliminate the unforced errors.
6. Navarro - 6 - Decent performance, best passer on the pitch.
7. Harley - 7 - Best all-round performance I've seen from him in a Brighton shirt.
8. Bridcutt - 6 - Coventry pressed him early and high up the pitch so wasn't able to get on the ball as much as usual.
9. CMS - 7 - Work rate again was fantastic, on the ball not his best game.
10. Paynter - 5 - Marked as a 5 and this was probably his best game for the club!
11. Noone - 7 - Lively and threatening throughout, final ball could be slightly better.

12. Vincelot - 7 - Tremendous header to win the game. Passing was hit and miss but he offers more going forward than Painter though not as solid.
13. Barnes - 6 - Some nice touches and solid defensive work.
14. Lua Lua - 6 - Looked very good when he came on, can see him getting more game time now.

Ref was crap but Coventry were even worse, can't see Thorn keeping the job for too much longer as if they continue to play like that they will finish bottom. Worst side at the AMEX this season by far.

Ankergren 6 -needs to command 6 yard box more!
Calderon 6 - sloppy at times
Vincelot 6.5 -as above but good goal
Greer 6- mistake played part in away goal.
Dunk 6- ok but too casual at times in possession and will get punished against better teams.
Navarro 6- tidy game,but could have checked run from deep for Coventry goal
Bridcutt - as Navarro
Harley 7 - best game yet,will improve and hopefully will get eye for goal.Noone 8-MOM.typical workrate and desire,easily our most creative player.
CMS- 7 Usual industry and hunger-needs a goal!
Paynter 6 not as bad as mentioned already-give him a fuckin break.

Lua Lua 6 -needs midfield service to fullfill obvious promise
Barnes 6 needs to match CMS workrate especially when coming on fresh for the last 20 .

Bizarre comment when he has probably got one of our best goals to minutes on the pitch ratio of any player - and that from a midfielder.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Casper - 6 - Nothing to do. Feel uncomfortable when a cross comes in.
Calderon - 5 - Poor game. Woeful in first half, improved slightly in second.
Painter - 6 - Steady during the period he was on.
Greer - 6 - Ball watching on first goal. Great rpesence paricularly in second half.
Dunk - 6 - Sliced a couple of clearances, but postionally is excellent and reads thegame so well.
Harley - 6 - Better than normal.
Bridcutt - 7 - Quieter than normal but is incredibly effective.
Navarro - 6 - Average, but undoubtedly has helped steady the midfield.
Noone - 8 - Dangerous every time he gets the ball.
Paynter - 4 - Was hopeless against the Saints and wasn't much better yesterday. Not good enough for us.
CMS - 7 - Action packed performance, continues to be starved of service but workrate cannot be faulted.

Vincelot - 6 - Great header for goal.
Barnes - 6 - Took 30 seconds to win one more header than Payntter.
Lua Lua - 6 - Looked more settled for the first time since the Tottenham game.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Bizarre comment when he has probably got one of our best goals to minutes on the pitch ratio of any player - and that from a midfielder.

Minutes:goal for all our scorers

1) Buckley 149.5
2) Hoskins 158
3) Barnes 225.9
4) Vicente 278
5) Mackail-Smith 325.8
6) Harley 395
7) Noone 770
8) Vincelot 886
9) Greer 1975

finlaych

Apr 16, 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
Ankergen 7
Painter 6
Greer 7
Dunk7
Calderon 8
Bridcutt 7
Navarro 7
Harley 8
Noone 7
Paynter 6
Cms 8

Barnes 7
Lua Lua 6
Vincelot 8 (MotM for me)

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
Ankergren 7
Calderon 6
Dunk 6
Greer 6
Vincelot 7
Noone 5
Bridcutt 5
Navarro 7
Harley 6
Mackail-Smith 7
Paynter 4

LuaLua and Barnes encouraging too during their brief appearances

Yours is the closest to my assessment, but football really is about team (e.g. Napoli's success over Man C) not individuals, so I hate this type of football manageresque summary of performance. I also hate the announcement of MoM 10 mins before end of game, now that really grates..

However thought Lua Lua took sting out of game, Barnes seemed an improvement on Paynter and also felt Navarro, like Bridcutt struggled to anchor the midfield in the 2nd half the pair of them just couldnt retain or regain the ball. Feel sorry every week for CMS he needs a George Boyd playing behind him or a proper target man getting flick ons.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Ankergen 7 - showed more confidence
Calderon 5 - first touch let him down
Dunk 6 - solid enough
Greer 6 - solid enough
Vincelot 8 - assured and a well taken goal
Noone 7 - attacking threat if lacking a final product
Bridcutt 7 - the pivot
Navarro 6 - did a job if occasionally a bit slow into the challenge
Harley 7 - upped the work rate and some incisive passes
Mackail-Smith 8 - constant threat
Paynter 6 - not much of a threat but won some headers

Painter - not on for long enough
LuaLua 6 - effective outlet on the left if not exactly free running
Barnes 6 - didn't do anything wrong

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Ankergren 7
Calderon 6
Dunk 6
Greer 6
Vincelot 7
Noone 5
Bridcutt 5
Navarro 7
Harley 6
Mackail-Smith 7
Paynter 4

LuaLua and Barnes encouraging too during their brief appearances
Totally agree with your marking, although I would give Harley a 7, I see that others agree that he did well today, and I was surprised that he got subbed, I would have taken Navarro off. Good to see that you are not clouded by rose coloured specs that some markers wear, Noone needs to become more of a team player, and Bridcutt did not have one of his better days. Hope to see improvements at Derby on Tues, Ive got my ticket.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Average ratings v Coventry (23 votes)

Mackail-Smith 7.48
Noone 7.15
Vincelot 7.00
Bridcutt 6.63
Ankergren 6.54
Greer 6.43
Navarro 6.28
Calderon 6.24
Dunk 6.22
Harley 6.22
Paynter 5.00

Lualua 6.18 (19 votes)
Barnes 6.03 (20 votes)
Painter 5.33 (18 votes)

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
Ankergen - 6 looked really hesitant with the ball, didn't help the counter attack options while Cov were push so high up.
Calderon 7 - solid as usual didn't get support up the wing til nooney switched
Dunk 6 - solid but looked unnerved, was it the goalie?
Greer 6 - solid looked scared to release the ball at times
Vincelot 8 - leapt like a salmon, painter may struggle to get back in
Noone 8 - first time I've seen him look good down the right, needs to learn when to cut inside and hit the channel
Bridcutt 7 - "the pivot" (nice) we should hit his feet earlier, give him time to turn
Navarro 7 - solid, nice over lap off nooney, not scary enough in the tackle...yet!
Harley 7 - still holds the ball too long, awareness should improve over time tho'
Mackail-Smith 8 - should have got out wide right more to cut in down the channels, made paynter and barnes look pointless, still looking frustrated, needs better service.
Paynter 4 - lazy, seemed scared of their centre backs by avoiding headers he's there to win?
Painter 6 - looking fairly solid until the injury but not communicating enough with noone.
LuaLua 6 - looked dangerous all the time, should have had more of the ball to run onto.
Barnes 5 - shadow of his former self, should had a 6 but deducted one point for disappoint. needs to man up

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Prick have no clue about football

A hold up striker who is not willing to jump to head a football and doesn't contribute that much else deserves a fairly low rating in my opinion. That's not really good enough, is it? To be fair he looks like someone desperately lacking in confidence and I do hope he improves, and with that his touch comes. I'm not willing him to fail at all, one problem is he's trying to fill Murray's boots and that's a near impossible task.

Also, a quick scan of just this page shows 3/4 other people have marked him around 4 or 5, so I'm not exactly alone in my view am I?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Did nobody notice that it was pretty much as soon as we took Paynter off that Coventry started pushing us back? Yes, he's not going to score a hatful of goals, but he's someone who can hold the ball up and keep possession - something I feel we sourly lacked once he went off. Also, I thought Harley had an excellent game. Whoever game him a 1 is clearly on a wind-up.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Did nobody notice that it was pretty much as soon as we took Paynter off that Coventry started pushing us back? Yes, he's not going to score a hatful of goals, but he's someone who can hold the ball up and keep possession - something I feel we sourly lacked once he went off. Also, I thought Harley had an excellent game. Whoever game him a 1 is clearly on a wind-up.

Harley had a decent game.

Paynter didn't hold the ball up once, so it must be a coincidence. I thought Barnes looked better than him, showed some good touches and attacking intent.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Calderon 5 - first touch let him down

Interesting .. we're near the west touchline and in the first half he was pretty active in front of us and I thought his first touch was OK ... and it was the rest that let him down

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Interesting .. we're near the west touchline and in the first half he was pretty active in front of us and I thought his first touch was OK ... and it was the rest that let him down

I thought his attacking play was decent, seemed our only outlet on the right wing at some points, but possibly should have done better with the shot he blazed over the bar. He also made some good blocks and his first touch seemed good to me for the most part. I would like to see him keep his place when Jara comes back, with the Chilean hopefully slotting in next to Bridcutt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here