Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play off chances

Should we make the playoffs how will we do?

• We are capable of winning them and I think we would.

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • We may get through the semis but we'd lose the final

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • We will get beaten in the semis

Votes: 29 20.3%
  • It's a lottery I have no idea

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other

Votes: 17 11.9%

• Total voters

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I think we have the players and the style to go all the way but the mental strength of this team and the ability to miss chances and be bullied by physical teams seem to be our downfall.
innit...!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So how do you explain that Wigan had managerial upheavals MID-SEASON and are flying past us? Smacks of excuses to me, if you are a good manager you can make an impact on a team reasonably quickly

Agreed, we are in the mix and Oscar has had enough time to "get" the Championship. He did well when we had the injuries and unrest but given where we are now that excuse cannot be used if we fail to make it.

I get the impression that you are less than convinced by Oscar?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My answer is we should make the play-offs with our squad but various stumbles mean it will go to last day between us and Reading. Play-off tournaments usually favour the tactically bold adventurous teams so that's us at a disadvantage straight away

Again I have to agree, we will be the outsiders, should we get there if tactics remain the same.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We've got 17pts from our last 10 games, Reading have got 18pts, Ipswich 15pts, Forest 10pts. It's going to be tough for any of these teams to get in the playoffs, it's an incredibly tough league (if anyone hadn't noticed over the past 2.75 seasons). To be fair our form is only fractionally worse than Reading's, but better than both Ipswich (despite the defeat) and Forest (obviously).

2 pts per game should get us there in my opinion. 4 pts from the next 2 and it has still been a very good March.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I have absolutely no idea because we are so inconsistent.

It feels like we'll finish 8th unless either Hoskins, Orlandi or Lingard really come to the party and give us a 'X' Factor we haven't had all season.

Right now, if we made the play-offs you'd expect we'd be playing Derby in the semis and Wigan in the Final. Without this 'X' Factor I don't think we have much of a chance but you never know.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
We've got 17pts from our last 10 games, Reading have got 18pts, Ipswich 15pts, Forest 10pts. It's going to be tough for any of these teams to get in the playoffs, it's an incredibly tough league (if anyone hadn't noticed over the past 2.75 seasons). To be fair our form is only fractionally worse than Reading's, but better than both Ipswich (despite the defeat) and Forest (obviously).

2 pts per game should get us there in my opinion. 4 pts from the next 2 and it has still been a very good March.

Reading's next batch of games look a lot more winnable than ours. If we are still on their tails after our away game at Leics then we have a chance.

2 points a game will be enough but (right now) I can't see how we get there

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
We won't get there.

Even if by some miracle we get promoted, this team would be annihilated in the Premierwhateveritscalledthesedays.

Quite likely, but whatever makes you think our current team would be the one actually playing in the Premierthing? IF we managed to get up, at least half the squad would be on their way, or bench material at best.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It is definitely a lottery. You have too be in it to win it tho.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
While i've not been massively impressed with our performances recently, we are still in with a shout, Reading look like a worse version than us and Forest could go either way with a new coach. I could see us making the play-offs but I can't see us getting past Wigan, Derby or QPR when we get there. BUt then Palace were the worst team going into last year's play-offs.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
The play offs most definitely are not a lottery.

The team most likely to win are the one who finished 3rd, followed by the team who came 4th etc etc

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
The play offs most definitely are not a lottery.

The team most likely to win are the one who finished 3rd, followed by the team who came 4th etc etc

Then why don't the stats show this?

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
And yet we are three points behind 6th with a game in hand. You must know the Queen quite well.

Even if we win that game in hand we wont be in the top six because we don't score enough goals, we have a weak midfield since Crofts injury, play slow laborious football and the continued inability to come from behind. It all sort of points to her Majesty not needing to invest in a bottle of pussyglide anytime soon.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
So how do you explain that Wigan had managerial upheavals MID-SEASON and are flying past us? Smacks of excuses to me, if you are a good manager you can make an impact on a team reasonably quickly

Wigan also have the luxury of having a better squad to start with. I stated in September that our squad is weaker this season than last , how much that is down to the prolonged sacking of Poyet I don't know but I'm certain it must have had some bearing on recruitment and that we were playing catch up before a ball had been kicked. You may have seen on another thread that I think we are over achieving by being as high as we are so I'm not knocking the side but they are just not good enough for the play offs. Oscar talked the talk when he arrived, lets wait till next season when he has had a full pre season and maybe brought in a few players to see if he can walk the walk.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As a guess

the 3rd place team will it ~ 30% of the time
4th ~ 26%
5th ~ 23%
6th ~ 21%

Even over a sample of 20 years:
3rd - 8 (40%)
4th - 2 (10%)
5th - 6 (30%)
6th - 4 (20%)

4th is the anomaly over this short period. As you've said you'd need to do this over a longer time frame.

If you think of the semi-finals, the winners of 3rd vs 6th have won the playoffs 12 times out of 20.

Last edited:

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
3rd - 8 (40%)
4th - 2 (10%)
5th - 6 (30%)
6th - 4 (20%)

4th is the anomaly over this short period. As you've said you'd need to do this over a longer time frame.

If you think of the semi-finals, the winners of 3rd vs 6th have won the playoffs 12 times out of 20.

The gap between 3rd and 4th compared to the gap between 4th and 5th will be much bigger because 3rd place have much the easiest semi final.

Plus the nearer to mid table you get the more the teams are "much of a muchness".

So usually the gaps in ability between places gets narrower as you get nearer mid table.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
3rd - 8 (40%)
4th - 2 (10%)
5th - 6 (30%)
6th - 4 (20%)

That stat of the 3rd place finisher winning its semi 60% of the time is very interesting.

I'd guess the 4th v 5th semi will end up more like 53% v 47% over the long run.

All interesting stuff!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here