Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Plane gone down in the French Alps?

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
Is there not a possibility that all this info from flight recorders can be loggod other then relying on finding the wreckage

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is there not a possibility that all this info from flight recorders can be loggod other then relying on finding the wreckage

In this day and age the same flight recorder info should be relayed directly to a central server on the ground shirley, with the flight recorder box a secondary backup. If nothing else, would give an early warning of any possible anomalies that could then be monitored and/or acted on from the ground.

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
Yeah exactly,with the plane they've been looking for for over a year and may never know what happen,I fined it hard to believe and somewhat strange that this is not standard

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
In this day and age the same flight recorder info should be relayed directly to a central server on the ground shirley, with the flight recorder box a secondary backup. If nothing else, would give an early warning of any possible anomalies that could then be monitored and/or acted on from the ground.

It is possible to relay and record realtime data and I have heard some industry experts talking about it over the last couple of years. I am sure it will happen but it is surprising that it is not already being used by big airlines, especially after the Air France crash, in 2009, when it took two years to recover the black box.

With all the technology being pumped into aircraft it is odd that they are using a 1950’s invention to record accidents.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
It is possible to relay and record realtime data and I have heard some industry experts talking about it over the last couple of years. I am sure it will happen but it is surprising that it is not already being used by big airlines, especially after the Air France crash, in 2009, when it took two years to recover the black box.

With all the technology being pumped into aircraft it is odd that they are using a 1950’s invention to record accidents.

It's very reliable and has stood the test of time.

To bring in something new as a standard you would have to design it, test it, iron out the wrinkles, make it aviation grade not consumer grade, get all relevant aviation bodies to agree to it, then implement it. Lots of time, money and political will required.

Any carriers that wish to go it alone will have to implement something that is likely to not meet any future standard, and may baulk at the USP being, "hey! In case you all get killed, we will have real time data available for the Daily Mail / Sky News to immediately splash across the globe".

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wasnt it only yesterday the Plane went down?

seems a little insensitive that people already want to hear the conspiracies!

Someone on here might know a plane victim.

Odd. You're not usually this sensitive. I bet you're itching to tell us what "really" happened.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Any carriers that wish to go it alone will have to implement something that is likely to not meet any future standard, and may baulk at the USP being, "hey! In case you all get killed, we will have real time data available for the Daily Mail / Sky News to immediately splash across the globe".

With the facility for the Mail/SkyNews to obtain direct satellite footage of the victims' relatives grieving outside their own houses within 30 minutes of the crash being reported?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

To bring in something new as a standard you would have to design it, test it, iron out the wrinkles, make it aviation grade not consumer grade, get all relevant aviation bodies to agree to it, then implement it. Lots of time, money and political will required.

It sounds like you are looking to make it more complicated than what it would really be. They would still have a black box so you wouldn't need all the aviation bodies to agree to it. It would simply be an optional addition not a replacement.

Not sure what point you are trying to make about the USP ???

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Behave. The technology already exists, and has done for some time. Give every airline n years to have it implemented or be grounded, and hey presto, it'll be done. Simples.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

You would also probably need a discrete band of spectrum for this data; have enough transmission points around the globe to ensure there are no holes in coverage. That in itself is a tough proposition when you think that 30 years after cellular telephony there are still massive blackspots in the crowded south-east of England.

Then there's the amount of storage needed for data: you're talking about gigabytes of data per plane - and thousands of planes every day. Finally, you need it secure, the last thing you want is data that could intercepted by the bad guys.

None of this is insurmountable but it's not a quick fix. And as Del Fenner says, even if you overcome the technical problems, there are legal and administrative issues to fix

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
You would also probably need a discrete band of spectrum for this data; have enough transmission points around the globe to ensure there are no holes in coverage. That in itself is a tough proposition when you think that 30 years after cellular telephony there are still massive blackspots in the crowded south-east of England.

Then there's the amount of storage needed for data: you're talking about gigabytes of data per plane - and thousands of planes every day. Finally, you need it secure, the last thing you want is data that could intercepted by the bad guys.

None of this is insurmountable but it's not a quick fix. And as Del Fenner says, even if you overcome the technical problems, there are legal and administrative issues to fix

It would use satellite for communications, surely? I'm fairly sure passengers aren't getting their signals from cellular masts when using laptops (online) at high altittude?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It would use Satelite for comms, surely?

Yes, it would. But there'd still need to be a discrete spectrum and total coverage.

My post was a bit misleading: I wasn't trying to imply that planes would use GSM or even UMTS like cellular, but to point out that 100% global coverage wasn't completely straightforward

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Yes, it would. But there'd still need to be a discrete spectrum and total coverage.

My post was a bit misleading: I wasn't trying to imply that planes would use GSM or even UMTS like cellular, but to point out that 100% global coverage wasn't completely straightforward

It may not be fool proof but having the additional layer would be a very positive move IMO and no real reason not to in this day and age.. The other point you raise about 'interception by the bad guys' could be solved with some heavy encryption. Data/Bandwidth isn't really an issue these days and they would only need to keep the recorded data for a set amount of time anyway.

Last edited:

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
Seems very strange that the last transmission was normal then 1 minute later it started a rapid decent,really can't work out why in that 8 minutes nothing was said over the radio

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
Not saying I think or it was..but could you get away with that on a plane with co-pilot,wouldn't the co-pilot say over the radio his lost it and trying to kill us all,and if locked out of the cockpit at least on panicked person on that plane would of sent a text or something eight minutes is a long I'm sure if you think death is imminent

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here