Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Place near the ground to drink?

theboybilly

Is there a new pub / bar at Brighton station ?

There is...the 'Cyclist' which does ales as well as the normal lagers and some food. Whether or not you'll be allowed in wearing colours is something we'll find out on Saturday.
Judging by the comments from the Wednesday fan it's hard to think that he's been to many away matches. I miss the Amex when I go to loads of other grounds. I can think of London club grounds that are harder to get to. And remember the Amex is the only ground to welcome you back for a drink after the game. A lot of whinging about nothing in my opinion but Yorkshiremen are World Champions at that.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
You could always take some cans.

Booths are doing 10 cans of John Smith Extra Smooth for a tenner. That's a right good price that is.

:thumbsup:

Not sure they have Booths in Sheffield.

I went in a few branches in the Lake District last week. Their beer selection is more than a match for any of the other supermarket groups. One of many areas that they excel in.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
What's with all the niggly comments on here ? Jellybean hasn't done anything to warrant some of the rubbish coming his way. I do agree though that Hillsborough is not exactly a fall off the train venue.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not sure they have Booths in Sheffield.

I went in a few branches in the Lake District last week. Their beer selection is more than a match for any of the other supermarket groups. One of many areas that they excel in.
Ilkley, Ripon and Settle (in Yorkshire)....don't think that'll help him much. Still, 10 cans for a tenner is worth the trip!

:)

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Did that the year we lost 3-0, it was better than getting on the train after the match, but the bus dragged us to the racecourse afterwards as the other park and ride (by the tunnel) had been full, which again was shambolic, there weren't any signs on the A27 saying it couldn't cope with more cars. I have never been to a ground that is so difficult to get to and from, I much preferred going to games at with dean with 5/6K fans, it seemed so much less plastic and you could virtually drive up to the ground. I might try Lewes this year as suggested, it just seems crazy going to another town just for a drink.
Prolly best you don't bother mate. It's ****ing miles from the station to Hillsborough.

Don't see the difference in waiting half hour for a train at a station at the stadium or walking/waiting for trams for nearly an hour to get out of poxy Sheffield.

It's really not difficult to have a beer wait half hour for a train after the final whistle. If that's too much trouble don't go!

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
What on earth is difficult about getting to and from the ground? We have to do it every fortnight or so and personally I always use the train.

Get a train around an hour before the game and stay and have a drink after. Virtually every ground I visit has it's own problems getting to and from the game; it's not just an Amex thing.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Prolly best you don't bother mate. It's ****ing miles from the station to Hillsborough.

Don't see the difference in waiting half hour for a train at a station at the stadium or walking/waiting for trams for nearly an hour to get out of poxy Sheffield.

It's really not difficult to have a beer wait half hour for a train after the final whistle. If that's too much trouble don't go!

What about if this was a midweek game and you need to catch connecting trains to go back to Sheffield? Not sure having a drink after the game is practical.

What on earth is difficult about getting to and from the ground? We have to do it every fortnight or so and personally I always use the train.

Get a train around an hour before the game and stay and have a drink after. Virtually every ground I visit has it's own problems getting to and from the game; it's not just an Amex thing.

He's probably got a drum kit, a double bass, a harp and a glockenspiel to carry

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Train after the game was chaos, either you have got used to it, or you like to be somewhere between a sheep and a sardine.

Strict two pint rule applies after the game. Consume two pints of Harveys (Wards in the away end next week I think) on the concourse watching the highlights of the match and magically the queues disappear.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
What about if this was a midweek game and you need to catch connecting trains to go back to Sheffield? Not sure having a drink after the game is practical.

I'm not sure that would ever be possible unless someone can quote me some train times that disagree with my thoughts. The earliest I've ever got back to the King's Cross area was about 23:30 and I'm not sure there are any departures to Sheffield much past about 21:00.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I'm not sure that would ever be possible unless someone can quote me some train times that disagree with my thoughts. The earliest I've ever got back to the King's Cross area was about 23:30 and I'm not sure there are any departures to Sheffield much past about 21:00.

It's not possible to get back to Sheffield after a midweek game, not even close.

What confuses me, is that this Wednesday :lolol: fan seems to be dead set on complaining about the Amex transport situation, yet seems completely ignorant of the fact that it takes LONGER to get to Sheffield station after a match at Hillsborough.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Lewes is definitely your best bet. Piece of piss.

This. I drive to Lewes, park in town and get the train for virtually every game. Leaving Lewes around 2pm is a doddle (usually get a seat on the train - not that I need one for a 7 minute journey) and post-match usually back in Lewes before 5.30 (leaving AFTER final whistle). Trains (particularly Saturdays) have improved significantly since the signalling was upgraded.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
There is...the 'Cyclist' which does ales as well as the normal lagers and some food. Whether or not you'll be allowed in wearing colours is something we'll find out on Saturday.
Judging by the comments from the Wednesday fan it's hard to think that he's been to many away matches. I miss the Amex when I go to loads of other grounds. I can think of London club grounds that are harder to get to. And remember the Amex is the only ground to welcome you back for a drink after the game. A lot of whinging about nothing in my opinion but Yorkshiremen are World Champions at that.

Very interesting ! I presume it's located by the platform used for match days as someone posted prior to the Southampton game that they were having a pint whilst monitoring the amount of supporters waiting at the platform.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It's not possible to get back to Sheffield after a midweek game, not even close.

What confuses me, is that this Wednesday :lolol: fan seems to be dead set on complaining about the Amex transport situation, yet seems completely ignorant of the fact that it takes LONGER to get to Sheffield station after a match at Hillsborough.

I ended up with bruised ribs last time we got t'Supertram as they had rammed so many on.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
There's a poncey pub called the cyclist that doesn't have a khazi.

Is that because proper racing cyclists take a piss at the side of the road ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What's with all the niggly comments on here ? Jellybean hasn't done anything to warrant some of the rubbish coming his way. I do agree though that Hillsborough is not exactly a fall off the train venue.

The queue for the super tram was horrendous after the game at Hillsborough and then it took another 25 mins to get to the centre of the city.

Stay for a couple of pints after the match, either in the away end or come & mix with Brighton fans, then catch a train. After 30 minutes, there isn't any queueing.
Mill Road P & R does get full very quickly, so if you don't want to park at the Racecourse, then park up in Lewes, where there are some great pubs. It's just 5 minutes on the train to the stadium and included in your match ticket.

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/documents/travel-guide-april14229-1169722.pdf

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here