Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Place near the ground to drink?

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Trains get a hard time, yes they can be full but it's only a ten minute journey and no more or less crowded than many an underground ride. Also very well organised at Falmer so there is not overcrowding or pushing on the platforms.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Train after the game was chaos, either you have got used to it, or you like to be somewhere between a sheep and a sardine.
So how many grounds in the country can you walk 100 meters to get your train home?.... So you may wait 15-20 mins.... big deal,.... if you stay 30 mins and have a leisurely pint afterwards, then get your train, sorted.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Hes obviously taking the piss.,,, wednesday are so massive they should have their very own trainline direct to every football ground. The wednesday line!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Park up in Lewes and use one of the many pubs in the town there. You get travel included in your match ticket. Either the station car park or the college car park on the south side of the station. The trains whilst they can be a pain, especially for midweek games, really aren't that bad imo. No worse than any other train network that deals with crowds of similar sizes at other stadiums. You will find getting from and returning to Lewes easier than using park and ride imo. Especially if you want to go for a drink pre match. using park and ride will mean a load of faffing about to get into Brighton.

This is sound advice. You can also use a bus from Lewes before the game.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
A few pointers after looking in at Owlstalk forum re Brighton.
Firstly some Wednesday supporters are whinging about travel/taxis whilst staying in Worthing....well a night bus runs right along the coast via Worthing and beyond on the half hour every hour through the night.
Secondly unlike most grounds the train station is right next to the ground.
Thirdly the away teams local ale is put on in the away end concourse where there are also tv screens to entertain.
Fourth Brighton has about as many pubs as there are days of the year.
Brighton is the liveliest place in the South bar London.
8mins from Brighton to the Amex.
Having lived around 6 years near Sheffield, i'm afraid that the place is not a patch on Brighton.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Jellybean;6484293[B said:
Did that the year we lost 3-0, it was better than getting on the train after the match, but the bus dragged us to the racecourse afterwards as the other park and ride (by the tunnel) had been full, which again was shambolic, there weren't any signs on the A27 saying it couldn't cope with more cars. I have never been to a ground that is so difficult to get to and from, I much preferred going to games at with dean with 5/6K fans, it seemed so much less plastic and you could virtually drive up to the ground. I might try Lewes this year as suggested, it just seems crazy going to another town just for a drink.

Wasn't that a midweek game though if I remember correctly? All modes of transport to and from the Amex tend to be more chaotic for midweek games - well, because thats the way it is. :shrug: Shorter trains plus more people driving being the main reasons.

Can't speak for P & R as never used it on a weekend, but Saturdays on the trains really aren't that bad unless there is a major screw up on the service somewhere, which can happen anytime if you are on the wrong train at the wrong time. If you leave on the final whistle you may queue for a while especially if going into Brighton. The queues towards Lewes do clear a lot quicker though.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Reading, Bolton, Millwall, Charlton, West Ham, Liverpool and Ricoh Arena are all as difficult to leave after the match as the Amex. Hillsborough was also a pain until the trams were started.

Irish Seagull

Aug 1, 2014
Does anyone ever go to the pub on Sussex uni campus for a drink before hand? It's a pretty crap bar the few times I've been in it on non-match days but at least it's within walking distance.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Much as i enjoy being between a sheep and a sardine :blush:, i find that whether using train or P&R buses, it always makes sense to stay 30-40 mins after the final whistle and have a beer or two. Then walk out to no queues.

Before the game you'll either need to use the concourse bars or stay in town

Surely this is the answer - we need to encourage our guests to spend as much money as possible at the ground.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Reading some of the Wednesday:lolol: m/board comments, they will want to get into Brighton as soon as possible after the game to get a proper back scuttling:facepalm:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Having lived around 6 years near Sheffield, i'm afraid that the place is not a patch on Brighton.

Can only agree.

In fact, it takes me longer to get back to Sheffield train station from Hillsborough, as it does to get to Brighton station after a game at The Amex.

It's that age old problem that the locals cannot fathom to believe that there is anything wrong with anything to do with Yorkshire.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Did that the year we lost 3-0, it was better than getting on the train after the match, but the bus dragged us to the racecourse afterwards as the other park and ride (by the tunnel) had been full, which again was shambolic, there weren't any signs on the A27 saying it couldn't cope with more cars. I have never been to a ground that is so difficult to get to and from, I much preferred going to games at with dean with 5/6K fans, it seemed so much less plastic and you could virtually drive up to the ground. I might try Lewes this year as suggested, it just seems crazy going to another town just for a drink.

Lewes is just over 5 minutes away from the ground by train, and a good option.

Brighton station pub drinking is also a good choice, although always advisable to run early to the pub, and then get an earlier train and a concourse beer.

Last edited:

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Surely this is the answer - we need to encourage our guests to spend as much money as possible at the ground.

This is true. Due to Harveys and the pies now being four pounds plus, we need unsuspecting visitors to make up the shortfall of us locals, many whom will be taking our custom elsewhere. :p

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Surprised the Wednesday :lolol: fans want anything to do with Brighton fans, last time I looked at their board they were all petrified about getting "bummed".

Would have thought they would want as little time in Brighton as possible.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
You could always take some cans.

Booths are doing 10 cans of John Smith Extra Smooth for a tenner. That's a right good price that is.

:thumbsup:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Is there anywhere near the ground that A few other Wednesday fans and I can have a pre match drink with a few mates of mine who support Brighton. Going to drive to the park and ride then get dumped off at the ground, please don't mention anything to do with the train its a total nightmare!

I don't think anyone has pointed this out yet, but there is increased capacity on the Brighton to Falmer line. It is better than in previous seasons.

Post match your Brighton mates can walk around into the away end for a few post match beers. This is allowed and works well unless there has been a lot of needle in the match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here