Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

photo of Poyet today versus Palace....

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
What any of it?

No - just the bit I highlighted: "and the general consencous is that his attitude was a lot to do with it."

I was going to say it was not all Gus's fault, but rereading the quote, the poster said it "was a lot to do with it", which, on reflection, I would go along with.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Were you happy with Gus's input and attitude in the 2nd playoff leg against Palace?
You must be the only Brighton fan that was.

See post 61 above. I was jjust working on the basis that it was not all Gus's fault, but that was not what was being said, so I am no longer disagreeing with it.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Yep, some people think that Poyet invented the passing game but passing is fundamental to football.

Also the tippy tappy football brand and reputation we had was earned in League One but ended up being a myth in the Championship.

We are playing a far superior and progressive passing game now with invention and allowing the players to express themselves without the strict Poyet ridged format.

Although we are not perfect yet, we are certainly tuning into what Oscar wants and it’s a pleasure to witness our development under him.

Mostly true but the fact is GP did transform us in League1, did get us promoted to the Championship and did establish us in that League.

Many have highlighted the fact that OG has not yet had the chance to put together 'his' team - he has however managed, as you say, to continue with a 'passing game' but with his own style.

The best football teams evolve but occasionally there is the need for a revolution and that is what occurred when GP came to the Albion.

I'm glad to see that OG has continued with evolution rather than going for a revolution.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yep, some people think that Poyet invented the passing game but passing is fundamental to football.

Also the tippy tappy football brand and reputation we had was earned in League One but ended up being a myth in the Championship.

We are playing a far superior and progressive passing game now with invention and allowing the players to express themselves without the strict Poyet ridged format.

Although we are not perfect yet, we are certainly tuning into what Oscar wants and it’s a pleasure to witness our development under him.

That's possibly the most biased thing i've ever read on NSC which is quite something.
No-one thinks Poyet invented the passing game.
I don't see how you could argue we didn't play the passing game under Gus in the Championship.

And i'd seriously struggle to see how we play a more progressive passing game under Oscar.

We still do the passing around defence (that is embarassing to some children) and then now we seem to hopelessly lump it forward to a (very a)lone target man.

Oscar has done a good job, Gus did one to and left on bad terms, please don't try and convince yourself there's been a massive step-up in our passing game this season

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Mostly true but the fact is GP did transform us in League1, did get us promoted to the Championship and did establish us in that League.

Many have highlighted the fact that OG has not yet had the chance to put together 'his' team - he has however managed, as you say, to continue with a 'passing game' but with his own style.

The best football teams evolve but occasionally there is the need for a revolution and that is what occurred when GP came to the Albion.

I'm glad to see that OG has continued with evolution rather than going for a revolution.

I agree that Gus did a good job, but I think we can agree it was often a safe and cautious one. Eddie Howe has done a very good job and will probably finish where we finished in our first Champ season. Dare I say it, even Yeovil's Gary Johnson performed a miracle gaining promotion from League One with very limited resources.

I would say that the revolution started with Bloom insisting on playing our way up with the Martinez model at Swansea and building the Amex. Of course Gus played a part but I don't buy the "if it wasn't for him we wouldn't be where we are today".

Just to be clear I don't dislike Gus to wish he hadn't have been part of our history, I just don't give him all the credit for it because what worked well at the start would have damaged the club in the end with him wanting to overspend on players, and then take them with him when he left.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
That's possibly the most biased thing i've ever read on NSC which is quite something.

No-one thinks Poyet invented the passing game.

I don't see how you could argue we didn't play the passing game under Gus in the Championship.

And i'd seriously struggle to see how we play a more progressive passing game under Oscar.

We still do the passing around defence (that is embarassing to some children) and then now we seem to hopelessly lump it forward to a (very a)lone target man.

Oscar has done a good job, Gus did one to and left on bad terms, please don't try and convince yourself there's been a massive step-up in our passing game this season

Some people agree with me.

I didn't say we didn't play a passing game under Gus?

We do mix it up more with Oscar and we don't play in such a ridged format that the opposition knows how to play against us. Even when we don't play well we make the opposition look ordinary.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Why are people still so OBSESSED with Gus? Every Sunderland result over the past few months seems to be greeted with a thread bump or a new thread, am I the only one that doesn't care? He did well for us, things ended unsavoury we moved on and so has he and I personally wish him well. It's like obsessing over an ex.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Why are people still so OBSESSED with Gus? Every Sunderland result over the past few months seems to be greeted with a thread bump or a new thread, am I the only one that doesn't care? He did well for us, things ended unsavoury we moved on and so has he and I personally wish him well. It's like obsessing over an ex.

I agree with this 100%

D

Deleted member 2719

Poyet was the first Albion manager in recent times with a loosened cheque book. Whoopie doos he got us playing the ball on the ground. Stop being so fuc*ing needy, its what modern managers are supposed to do. Painful watching him teaching El Abd - T Elphick -Ankergren - play the ball on the ground. Seriously embarrassing in fact. But any hired hand outside of the Serial English Loser Managers Club would have done the same, or at least would not have done any worse. Poyet is a media whore which will generate him a certain number of hirings in this country. Don't make him a half-decent manager tho. Bloke's as unhinged as Di Canio if not more so.

Nice post.:thumbsup:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I agree that Gus did a good job, but I think we can agree it was often a safe and cautious one. Eddie Howe has done a very good job and will probably finish where we finished in our first Champ season. Dare I say it, even Yeovil's Gary Johnson performed a miracle gaining promotion from League One with very limited resources.

I would say that the revolution started with Bloom insisting on playing our way up with the Martinez model at Swansea and building the Amex. Of course Gus played a part but I don't buy the "if it wasn't for him we wouldn't be where we are today".

Just to be clear I don't dislike Gus to wish he hadn't have been part of our history, I just don't give him all the credit for it because what worked well at the start would have damaged the club in the end with him wanting to overspend on players, and then take them with him when he left.

Well said Symyjym.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
are you sure ?????????????????

No. But he has their defence organised, and I genuinely think that will be enough when you consider the frailties of the clubs that his team are competing with in the relegation dog fight.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Ladies and Gentlemen 'ITS A GAME!' but threatening to assault somebody because he/she didnt manage the business you are attached to in the manner that you would have preferred is both stupid and illegal.

I think most of us thought the same as you after ONE person posted the threat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here