[Albion] Percy Tau - SIGNED on a 4 year deal - The Lion Returns. RRROOOAAAARRRRR

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Percy got his degree in marketing last year and is now doing a post-grad in management.
At the university they don't know about his football prowess and in Brugge they don't know about his uni work (mostly).

From an article in Het Nieuwsblad.

I added a pic but it didn't work.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The bigger question is would he want to play for us now? He has no hope of getting CL football while a Brighton player and has probably never even heard of Burnley or Bournemouth let alone being desperate to visit their wonderful (!?) stadia.

Trossard helped Genk to qualify for the Champions League before signing for us. Seems the PL proved more of a draw than the CL.

And as shit as Burnley and Bournemouth may seem as clubs, there are plenty of much smaller clubs in the Belgian League.

I hope he'll get his permit soon, I would love to have him here.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone know if Tau still has a chance of getting a work permit for next season? I have seen various ways he gets the points required. If Brugge progress and he gets to play could he obtain the required points?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Anyone know if Tau still has a chance of getting a work permit for next season? I have seen various ways he gets the points required. If Brugge progress and he gets to play could he obtain the required points?

I think he has a chance through playing in top division in Belgium.

However we could also do with South Africa improving.

I really think he would be a good addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should have returned favour and passed to Percy who had open goal
Certainly should have, but the selfish b*****d decided to try and beat his man and go for his hat-trick.

Screenshot_20191008-003628.png

Last edited:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

He has now met all the criteria needed, apart from the amount we are willing to pay him in wages.

This would give him the final point needed to gain a permit, however it is not clear.

The rule is:

The wages being paid to the player are within 20% of the 50thpercentile of the top 30 earners at each Premier League club in the previous season.

The club will be aware if he meets this, so you can be certain that if they do choose to apply for a permit, it will be accepted.

If they choose not to, then he hasn't met it.

In my opinion, this rule is counter productive to sensible financial management. Forcing clubs to spend more than they might otherwise be required, just to get a work permit.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He has now met all the criteria needed, apart from the amount we are willing to pay him in wages.

This would give him the final point needed to gain a permit, however it is not clear.

The rule is:

The wages being paid to the player are within 20% of the 50thpercentile of the top 30 earners at each Premier League club in the previous season.

The club will be aware if he meets this, so you can be certain that if they do choose to apply for a permit, it will be accepted.
January recall then?

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
January recall then?

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

I think he needs to play a whole season at his current club to gain the points he needs.

I should have said he is on target to get the points he needs.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

The rule is:

In my opinion, this rule is counter productive to sensible financial management. Forcing clubs to spend more than they might otherwise be required, just to get a work permit.

Sorry, but what does that mean?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

So the top 30 earners at the Albion last season would have been the 25 man playing squad and senior management.

If you ranked them by their wages, the person half way down that list is at the 50th percentile. For the sake of argument, lets say it's Balogun. If Tau's wages are within 20% of Balogun's last season, he gets the point needed for a work permit. To me it seems likely that they would.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

The 50th percentile is the median average. So he needs to be within 20% of the average wage of the top 30 earners at each club. So, if the median was 100k, he'd need to be earning at least 80k. If it were 50k, he'd need 40k.

I think :)

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The 50th percentile is the median average. So he needs to be within 20% of the average wage of the top 30 earners at each club. So, if the median was 100k, he'd need to be earning at least 80k. If it were 50k, he'd need 40k.

I think :)

I assumed similar, but who are the "top 30 earners at each club" is that the same as the top 30 earners in the premier league? or the top 30 earners at the club you are playing for?

If the latter then fair dos... I would imagine most first team squad signings to expect to be in that sort of salary range.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
So the top 30 earners at the Albion last season would have been the 25 man playing squad and senior management.

If you ranked them by their wages, the person half way down that list is at the 50th percentile. For the sake of argument, lets say it's Balogun. If Tau's wages are within 20% of Balogun's last season, he gets the point needed for a work permit. To me it seems likely that they would.

Sorry missed your post, which confirms my assumption.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

The rule is:

So a new extended contract with a payrise could seal the deal ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This will upset the 'never play for us' brigade. :lol:

They're running out of axes to grind.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So a new extended contract with a payrise could seal the deal ?

Yes.

It's decision time.

If we were signing him as a new player, surely a striker having played in the champions league wouldn't be down in our lower half earners. We'll find out whether the plan is to sell him or play him either in January if there's a recall option or in the summer

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016

This makes sense, and considering our top earners take home a reported £45k a week, Percy should have no problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports