Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Percy Tau - SIGNED on a 4 year deal - The Lion Returns. RRROOOAAAARRRRR

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think Izzy might very much depend on how he comes back post-injury. He showed a lot of potential before the injury. Yes, last season was a disappointment, but if he was as compromised by the injury as now thought then hopefully we can see him back at his best before season end and competing for a starting place.

I'd also hope that room can be kept for Bissouma. Pretty sure he was bought as a long term prospect.

It's difficult, though, isn't it? If we do get permits for both Tau and Macallister then what does our first choice frontline / midfield look like?

With Izquierdo, it's less about his talent and more about his style. It doesn't scream Graham Potter player to me. (in that he tends to hold it too long, and doesn't have enough variety in his end product)
Bissouma as well. Bustling runs are no substitute for heads up one touch possession based play. Reckon he'll be off
Players like Schelloto, also it's style, he has a it might come off, might not randomness about him. nahh.

One thing i'll say to qualify this though is that I think GP will give everyone a chance to show they can play his way (including our senior 3 out on loan) and if they can adapt their games, the door will be open for them.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
What’s the criteria? I didn’t think he had met it all yet but my main reason for that was the SA ranking issue.

Firstly there is the Objective Criteria, which is split into 2 parts. Players need 4 or more points from Part A or 5 or more from Parts A and B together. The panel will not duplicate points across Parts A and B.

Part A

1. Transfer fee being paid for the player is above the 75thpercentile of all Premier League transfers in the previous season.

Worth 3 points.

Percy does not meet this requirement.

2. Transfer fee being paid for the player is between 50thand 75thpercentile of all Premier League transfers in the previous season.

Worth 2 points.

Percy does not meet this requirement.

3. The wages being paid to the player are above the 75thpercentile of the top 30 earners at each Premier League club in the previous season.

Worth 3 points.

Percy does not meet this requirement

4. The wages being paid to the player are between the 50th and 75thpercentile of the top 30 earners at each Premier League club in the previous season.

Worth 2 points.

5. The player is being purchased from a club in one of the Top Leagues and the player has played at least 30% of the available minutes in that league.

Worth 1 point.

The FA defines “top league” as the six European leagues and two Central and South American leagues which provide the most players to the twenty highest-ranked FIFA teams over the preceding two-year period.

Currently these leagues are:
England
Spain
Germany
France
Italy
Portugal
Brazil
Argentina

6. Prior to the application the player’s club has featured in the group stages of the Champions League, Europa League or Copa Libertadores de America in the last 12 months and the player has featured in 30% of the available minutes.

Worth 1 point.

Percy should earn this point.

Part B.

1. Transfer fee being paid for the player is within 20% of the 50thpercentile of all Premier League transfers in the previous season

Worth 1 point.

2. A free transfer, but a virtual transfer value ascribed by the Exceptions Panel that is within 20% of the 50thpercentile of all Premier League transfers in the previous season.

Worth 1 point.

3. The wages being paid to the player are within 20% of the 50thpercentile of the top 30 earners at each Premier League club in the previous season.

Worth 1 point.

Percy should meet this requirement and earn another point.

4. The player is being purchased from a Secondary League club and the player has played in 30% of the minutes played by the club.

Worth 1 point.

Percy should meet this requirement and earn another point.

5. The player’s current club has played in the final qualification rounds of the Champions League, Europa League or Copa Libertadores within 12 months prior to the application, with the player featuring in 30% of the minutes played by the club.

Worth 1 point.

Percy should receive this point.

6. The player participated in a prescribed lower percentage (Secondary Percentage) of competitive international matches within the previous 24-month period; or the player’s international side was a semi-finalist in the Asian Cup, or African Cup of Nations in the 12 months preceding the application.* If this was the case, but the nation held an average ranking outside of the top 60 during the 24-month period, then the player must have participated in 75% of the matches during that reference period.

Worth 1 point.

Despite South Africa's loss to Nigeria in AFCON 1/4 final, Percy has still played enough international matches in the last 2 years to earn this point.

That makes 5 points, enough to earn a work permit.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Good work from Jonny Roast beef there

Here is the situation about recalling loans. Found on the sun website, so definitely true

When can players be loaned and recalled?

All loans in the Premier League and EFL take place within the two designated transfer windows, from the beginning of July to the end of August and throughout January.

Players on a season-long loan can be recalled by parent clubs in the January transfer window but only if the two clubs have agreed a recall clause in advance.

A loan deal can be cancelled at any time in the season if both clubs concerned agree.

So we don't know for sure. Though a quick online check suggests to me it's common for there to be one.

Oh and it suggested there was no difference between international loans and domestic ones.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
With Izquierdo, it's less about his talent and more about his style. It doesn't scream Graham Potter player to me. (in that he tends to hold it too long, and doesn't have enough variety in his end product)
Bissouma as well. Bustling runs are no substitute for heads up one touch possession based play. Reckon he'll be off
Players like Schelloto, also it's style, he has a it might come off, might not randomness about him. nahh.

One thing i'll say to qualify this though is that I think GP will give everyone a chance to show they can play his way (including our senior 3 out on loan) and if they can adapt their games, the door will be open for them.

Withhold judgement until they have played a few games. Remember how shit Stephens was...allegedly

Izquierdo, if he still has pace could be amazing. Remember his interchanges of passes when he scored at Stoke?

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Withhold judgement until they have played a few games. Remember how shit Stephens was...allegedly

Izquierdo, if he still has pace could be amazing. Remember his interchanges of passes when he scored at Stoke?

Think it will take time to drill into him, that Potter wants more than just “sprint down the wing, cut inside, skew shot well wide with teammates in better positions, repeat” as has long been his trademark.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Yes mate, and you could make the point that Potter got loads out of Dan James at Swansea and there are similarities there. Hope Izquierdo makes it here. He'll have to adapt his game I think though

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Think it will take time to drill into him, that Potter wants more than just “sprint down the wing, cut inside, skew shot well wide with teammates in better positions, repeat” as has long been his trademark.

Must confess I don’t recall many team mates being in the opposition half when he arrived in and around the penalty area :smile:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Without that Stoke goal my memory of Jose is considerably more Knockaert than Trossard.

It's good to know he has 'it' in the locker, hopefully he returns with his pace intact.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
He has now met all the criteria needed, apart from the amount we are willing to pay him in wages.

This would give him the final point needed to gain a permit, however it is not clear.

The rule is:

The wages being paid to the player are within 20% of the 50thpercentile of the top 30 earners at each Premier League club in the previous season.

The club will be aware if he meets this, so you can be certain that if they do choose to apply for a permit, it will be accepted.

If they choose not to, then he hasn't met it.

In my opinion, this rule is counter productive to sensible financial management. Forcing clubs to spend more than they might otherwise be required, just to get a work permit.

possibly because as a "foreign" employee he would be subject to at least 50% income tax........prrfft , know your enemy etc...!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
possibly because as a "foreign" employee he would be subject to at least 50% income tax........prrfft , know your enemy etc...!!

Why would he be subject to 50% income tax because he is a foreigner? I suspect everyone in the Brighton first team squad are paying 50% tax irrespective of nationality but due to the amount they earn.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Why would he be subject to 50% income tax because he is a foreigner? I suspect everyone in the Brighton first team squad are paying 50% tax irrespective of nationality but due to the amount they earn.

aahherrmm ...like i said , know your enemy , did you not see tevezes pay slip ....66% tax.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Izzy, Pröpper ( and Stephens ) enter the last year of their contracts in the summer. I doubt we want them to 'walk away on a free' in 2021...

Jahanbakhsh is in the last chance saloon already.

And Balogun is out of contract at the end of this season anyway.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

That, and of course our U23s and academy are a waste of money (apart from the 19 year old just call up for Ireland, the Championship player of the month......etc)

It's almost as though the Club had a well thought out, long term strategy.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Top rate of tax is 45% irrespective of nationality!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't agree. It's not as if Potter can't ask him to pass it quickly when needed. What we saw was Izquierdo always (when fit) looking dangerous in Hughton's team. There weren't always many forward players for him to pass to, so perhaps he held on to it a lot, but I don't see that being a problem in our new team.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't agree. It's not as if Potter can't ask him to pass it quickly when needed. What we saw was Izquierdo always (when fit) looking dangerous in Hughton's team. There weren't always many forward players for him to pass to, so perhaps he held on to it a lot, but I don't see that being a problem in our new team.

It would be terrific if you're right. The other nagging doubt I have I the predictability thing. So Shearer was talking about Connolly's second goal on Saturday by saying Alderwiereld had no idea which way to defend Connolly as he'd already beaten him on the outside and this time he beat him on the inside. I've never once seen Izquierdo show that he wants to use his pace to get to the by line. Now this could of course be coaching and instruction at the time, but I don't think that what I saw before would get him into this team. One thing I firmly believe is that Jose, along with all the others will get a fair chance to show they can adapt their game to how we're playing at the moment.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The other nagging doubt I have I the predictability thing. So Shearer was talking about Connolly's second goal on Saturday by saying Alderwiereld had no idea which way to defend Connolly as he'd already beaten him on the outside and this time he beat him on the inside. I've never once seen Izquierdo show that he wants to use his pace to get to the by line.
Really? It's ages since we saw a fit Jose, but I'm sure he could do that. Of course a couple of his goals were from cutting in and shooting, but I'm sure other times he went to the line and put it across the goal. He's not a striker either.

Now this could of course be coaching and instruction at the time, but I don't think that what I saw before would get him into this team.
I thought he was one of our best players, when fit. My only real concern is that he doesn't fully recover from his injury.

We'll see.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Really? It's ages since we saw a fit Jose, but I'm sure he could do that. Of course a couple of his goals were from cutting in and shooting, but I'm sure other times he went to the line and put it across the goal. He's not a striker either.

I thought he was one of our best players, when fit. My only real concern is that he doesn't fully recover from his injury.

We'll see.

Nope.
Like the lad though, hope he does well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here