Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Ifs, buts, maybes, the games over now, we didn't lose, let's move on

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Thought it was a pen at the time. Less certain after seeing the TVs footage.
I'd rate it as a "home team decision" and hope we get the same break when we need it.
Can't blame the ref and no real complaints.

We've had a few go our way this season, swings and roundabouts after that pen wasn't given for mk dons :)

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
No Penalty IMHO. Bad decision the ball had already been crossed and the incident had not affected that one iota. Greer challenge was late, so late it never influenced play. Plus so little contact was made, none of the players knew what the penalty was for. Wilson decision was more hit or miss. Never mind we move on. Good result against a good team and passionate support.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
With ram-tinted spectacles
No kidding.
When Wilson went over in the first half it's unquestionably shoulder to shoulder. If it was shoulder into any other part of the anatomy (say into the back) then it would be a pen.
It doesn't matter if it's shoulder to shoulder, this isn't ice hockey, and how hard you run into the other player is relevant. He barged him over.
The players are running together and the young fullback (Christie) is stronger and Wilson didn't complain.
Wilson look surprised he wasn't given the decision, but he chose not to chase the ref down to have a go, as he's a bit less whiny than some.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We've had a few go our way this season, swings and roundabouts after that pen wasn't given for mk dons :)

Quite. I've never seen a more blatant pen than that MK Dons Dunk slide

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
On the FL show Chris Iwelumo said it was but a phone in poll 60% said not. Mind it may have only been BHA fans who phoned in.

It wasn't a phone in poll, but on Twitter. It was open to all football fans.

The final result when the poll closed was 689 votes with 65% saying it wasn't a penalty.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Iwelumo was a striker so as a pundit it's hardly surprising that he gives the benefit of the doubt against the defender. When I first saw it I presumed the ref had blown for some infringement by a Derby player and given us a free kick (by the reaction of the players). Having watched the replays I'd agree that it was a foolish lunge by Greer but that he wasn't attempting a tackle, more trying to block the cross but getting it wrong. Still convinced that it was not a penalty. Purely because of consistency (like Dunk v Burnley) it seemed a very odd decision.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
  • 88th minute?
  • Other decisions not given which could have been?
  • Home team in top 3
  • Result in the balance?

OF COURSE IT'S A PEN!
Greer shouldn't have raised his leg so high. And certainly went in too hard if he was just trying to block the shot. But you've got to understand he's giving everything here to try to get the result.

I'd say that sort of challenge in that sort of position is given as a foul maybe 30% of the time?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
It was a soft decision, we were unlucky. It wasn't helped by the fact that Greer raised his leg towards the player on the follow through. However, if there was any contact, it was clearly on the follow through and off the pitch. Unlucky, but you win some, you lose some. Don't forget that absolutely nailed-on penalty that wasn't given a few weeks ago involving Dunk.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It was a soft decision, we were unlucky. It wasn't helped by the fact that Greer raised his leg towards the player on the follow through. However, if there was any contact, it was clearly on the follow through and off the pitch. Unlucky, but you win some, you lose some. Don't forget that absolutely nailed-on penalty that wasn't given a few weeks ago involving Dunk.

True re Dunk against MK Dons ...though we could of course reopen the debate over the 'Burnley' pen (let's not) ...my memory of the Derby players reaction was a few half hearted appeals....looked like one u might give to the home team....time to move on

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Having looked back at the footage I think we've been quite unlucky there. The ball had been played by the time GG got there and Russell was more or less off the pitch! Agree that Greer shouldn't be diving in like that though. Not at that stage of the game with the stakes so high.

There's a few on here mentioned that Russell had already played the ball [crossed], but that means any contact with the player after should be judged as a late tackle - not only a pen, but probably a booking too?

I, like many on NSC, have played a decent standard of footy and as a defender a key element to your skill is position / decision. As a defender, a common decision is whether to stay on your feet and "jockey" or slide in. If you decide to slide in, you have to be certain you will play the ball [first], if you miss the ball and catch the man, expect to concede a free kick. It would appear GG's decision making failed this process [not good for a professional].

The only doubt now appears to be whether he did or didn't make contact with the player.
If he did, it's a pen .....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here