Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Penalty

Feb 14, 2010
I don't think it was a penalty but can I take it that the perceived wisdom of NSC is that it was a totally understandable mistake for a professional footballer to dive in, legs everywhere, completely out of control when the Derby player was going absolutely nowhere and give away a penalty? Is that sort of brainless mistake acceptable at Brighton? No wonder we have been utter garbage for 100 years if it is. Brian Clough and Ferguson would have threaten to dock his wages and / or certainly told him what an absolute bloody idiot he was. There is absolutely no excuse for that challenge and the manager should be looking at other options. If a player doesn't get dropped after such stupidity then what message does that send?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No mate it was brainless. All he does all week is play football. You domnt make such idiotic mistakes at work.
I know you're not new to football, so it feels odd having to explain to you that footballers regularly make mistakes at work, due to the nature of their job. They have a team of people whose job it is to get them to make mistakes. Most of us don't face that in our work.

No mate, I;m just competitive and a little bit toirted of the acceptance of failure that comes with being a Brighton fan.
You need to chance the record, it's so boring. Are you not aware that we're currently not failing? Do you not think Hughton is doing a good job as manager? If you think he's doing a good job, perhaps you can leave it to him to decide how to treat players who make mistakes.

What most of us notice is that the team this season are playing as a team, fighting for each other, and that will be in part thanks to Chris's management style, so I'm inclined to think we should let him carry on.

And if you think shouting at a player for each on field mistake will stop them making mistakes again, you're more stupid than we give you credit for.

Feb 14, 2010
I know you're not new to football, so it feels odd having to explain to you that footballers regularly make mistakes at work, due to the nature of their job. They have a team of people whose job it is to get them to make mistakes. Most of us don't face that in our work.

You need to chance the record, it's so boring. Are you not aware that we're currently not failing? Do you not think Hughton is doing a good job as manager? If you think he's doing a good job, perhaps you can leave it to him to decide how to treat players who make mistakes.

What most of us notice is that the team this season are playing as a team, fighting for each other, and that will be in part thanks to Chris's management style, so I'm inclined to think we should let him carry on.

And if you think shouting at a player for each on field mistake will stop them making mistakes again, you're more stupid than we give you credit for.

There are mistakes and there was that challenge yesterday. We have other options, drop him. You stay on your feet in such circumstances. Full stop, no excuses.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was surprised how pleased their horrible goal scorer seemed to be after both of their goals. The first one could have been cockiness (expecting his lot to go on and win) but after the pen, obviously not (no time left) so I'd reclassify both as the sort of behaviour you see when a small weak unfancied team snatches a goal off us. If so, it doesn't say a lot for the mentality of the Derby team. If they think a game against us is 'their cupfinal' or suchlike, it doesn't really bode well for them at all. Which is good news in my book.

Probably overanalysing. . . . .:lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There are mistakes and there was that challenge yesterday. We have other options, drop him. You stay on your feet in such circumstances. Full stop, no excuses.
That challenge that you don't even think should have been a penalty. Our manager does not train our players to stay on their feet, as our manager obviously thinks there are times when the player should go to ground to block a shot or stop a cross.

If a player doesn't get dropped after such stupidity then what message does that send?
Maybe it sends the message that each player can concentrate on their game, rather than fear they might get docked wages and lose their place if they make a mistake. If you had your way every player would be dropped, and our starting eleven wouldn't be the best team for each game, it would just be those who hadn't made a mistake as recently, while those dropped look on hoping for a mistake from someone else so they can get their place back.

I get that you'd be a different manager than Hughton. Everyone would call you gaffer, everyone would know you're in charge and what you say goes. But that's, thankfully, not the style of manager we have. Can you not accept that Hughton's management style is different to your (imaginary) style, and that perhaps he's a better manager than you?

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
It was a stupid challenge but Greer did foul Russle. The angle looking towards the away end (same as Masson) shows contract. It was a pen, even through my biased tinted Albion glasses!

Wilson should also of had a penalty, that was more clear cut too.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't think it was a penalty but can I take it that the perceived wisdom of NSC is that it was a totally understandable mistake for a professional footballer to dive in, legs everywhere, completely out of control when the Derby player was going absolutely nowhere and give away a penalty? Is that sort of brainless mistake acceptable at Brighton? No wonder we have been utter garbage for 100 years if it is. Brian Clough and Ferguson would have threaten to dock his wages and / or certainly told him what an absolute bloody idiot he was. There is absolutely no excuse for that challenge and the manager should be looking at other options. If a player doesn't get dropped after such stupidity then what message does that send?

You keep trying to make it sound like it was a tackle when all Greer was trying to do was block the cross. His momentum carried him further and his raised leg appeared to clip Russell. From the Ref's perspective it looked like contact which, judging from the TV replays, was just inside the box before both players slid over the goal line. You seem to make out that defenders should not make challenges. It was 2-1 with minutes left and we were trying to protect that lead. I'd love to see you find some quote from Ferguson or Clough along the lines you have suggested. Both of those managers would want committed players in their team.

As for the ref. You do have to question why Wilson being bundled over wasn't a penalty? Typical ref though, totally inconsistent.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The ref should never have been put in the position to give a penalty as from the FL show it seemed as if the ball had been released and the danger over but players do make mistakes.

Feb 14, 2010
That challenge that you don't even think should have been a penalty. Our manager does not train our players to stay on their feet, as our manager obviously thinks there are times when the player should go to ground to block a shot or stop a cross.

There are time to dive in but if you think that yesterdays penalty incident was even close to being one then you know absolutely nothing about football. The Derby player was going nowhere, he was almost off the pitch, and it was the most elementary error that any footballer using football intelligence would know that you stay on your feet. Stop trying to be an apologist for something that cannot be excused. He needs telling and if there is a guy to come in who is camping at the bit to prove himself, then serious consideration should be made to dropping him. It's sport, it's competitive. No excuses for him yesterday, he cost us 2 points. He needs telling.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I was 4/5 rows from the front so pretty close to it and it looked like contact to me and I instantly winced thinking it was a penalty. Having seen the replays it does seem a little soft but instant reaction at the game was penalty.

Feb 14, 2010
The ref should never have been put in the position to give a penalty as from the FL show it seemed as if the ball had been released and the danger over but players do make mistakes.

Spot on..Triggar, that is why he should have stayed on his feet. Elementary, schoolboy defensive error. No excuse and so lets not defend it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Stop trying to be an apologist for something that cannot be excused. He needs telling and if there is a guy to come in who is camping at the bit to prove himself, then serious consideration should be made to dropping him.
I'm sure Chris constantly weighs up the pros and cons of whom he picks for each game, and when players make mistakes that will be taken into account. Why you feel the need to talk about this being a failing of Brighton and why we're not successful, or what Clough or Ferguson would do I have no idea.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Thought it was a pen at the time. Less certain after seeing the TVs footage.
I'd rate it as a "home team decision" and hope we get the same break when we need it.
Can't blame the ref and no real complaints.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Spot on..Triggar, that is why he should have stayed on his feet. Elementary, schoolboy defensive error. No excuse and so lets not defend it.
I'm not suggesting Greer didn't make a mistake, I agree with BG (strange admission) that players make mistakes, it's you saying mistakes won't be tolerated, dock their wages.

SpaceRam

Dec 8, 2015
With ram-tinted spectacles I'd say it was a clear penalty and bonkers defending when you're winning at the end of the game. Greer went to ground and slid in. I was annoyed that Johnny Russell nearly jumped out of the way when in that situation you just need to take the hit. Some on here have said Greer was simply trying to block the cross but if that's your aim as a defender you go parallel to the forward instead of sliding directly into him. Greer was attempting a tackle which was very poor judgement - actually a schoolboy error.

While penalties should not be cumulative things, I would say we should have had one when Dunk blocked Weimann's cross two-handed earlier in the second half. He's far enough away for that not to be accidental and be given most times. I expect that was something that was also weighing on Lee Mason's mind.

When Wilson went over in the first half it's unquestionably shoulder to shoulder. If it was shoulder into any other part of the anatomy (say into the back) then it would be a pen. The players are running together and the young fullback (Christie) is stronger and Wilson didn't complain. But I thought it was a little reckless from Christie simply because it was unnecesary and taking a risk in that you're giving the referee a decision to make.

We played poorly (way too pedestrian) and you stood out in your ability to move the ball quickly and attack at pace. We were lucky that we got the penalty at the end, not because it wasn't a pen but because it was a stupid piece of defending. But it would have been very harsh for us to lose the game.

It would be a lovely thing if there's nothing to play for on the final day of the season because both sides have already been promoted. If we've overtaken you at that point just imagine it could be your last game of the campaign before you actually play someone decent and put that amazing unbeaten record properly to the test! :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here