Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Penalty Takers?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Lua Lua would be no where near the list for me, not unless you want the tension of will he smash it over the bar or smash it in the roof of the net, very much like Adam Virgo against Swindon. looked great but could have gone terribley wrong.

Agree with this, too risky - Spanish Dave, Leo, Orlandi, Vicente and Bridge

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The only way is Spanish:

1. Spanish Dave
2. Vicente
3. Calderon
4. Orlandi
5. Bruno

Or these Spanish speakers if the above are not on the pitch
6. Ulloa
7. Tano
8. Gus
9. Charlie

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A few months ago Gus was quoted as saying how he happy he was with a choice of penalty takers, saying he now had three options: Spanish Dave, Vicente and Orlandi. I think we can take it those three will be top choice. I reckon Hammond, Ulloa and Calderon would be fighting it out for the next two.

Surprised at people saying Bridcutt, he's not a prolific scorer - he wouldn't be near the top of my list at all.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
At last someone says Hammond. Remember when he played for us at Withdean he always took the penalties and I can't recall too many misses.

Correct. Excellent penalty taker who should be second on everyone's list behind Dave.

Add Vicente, Bridge and Orlandi for me.

Ulloa has taken ONE and it was shit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd also sub Brez in goal for the shootout, he is the master of the penalty save.
Oh a 119 minute substitution, that'll ruffle a few feathers.

I always thought it was a cracking idea.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Oh a 119 minute substitution, that'll ruffle a few feathers.

I always thought it was a cracking idea.

Yep - surprised this hasn't been done more often. While it hasn't, I reckon it'd be a great psychological ploy, even if the goalie you bring on isn't any better at pens than the #1.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd also sub Brez in goal for the shootout, he is the master of the penalty save.

Actually a very good call. Brezovan is the only Albion keeper who's looked like saving penalties in the last couple of years.

TK is a great keeper, but he isn't that BIG. When nervous opposition players are stood over their critical penalties, Brez will look HUGE.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
For me:

Dave, Ulloa, Vicente, Buckley and Orlandi. I know we beat Wrexham, but what is our record like in shoot outs?

The season we lost to Luton on pens in the JPT SF, we were very good up until that point, and had scored all of our penalties in the competition up until that point I believe!
Also beat Woking on penalties two years ago!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The season we lost to Luton on pens in the JPT SF, we were very good up until that point, and had scored all of our penalties in the competition up until that point I believe!

I actually think that the Luton one is the only one we've EVER lost. Won 5? Man City, Swindon, Woking, Wrexham and a JPT one against someone.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012

But this season we have been shocking at penalties. And have we saved one?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep - surprised this hasn't been done more often. While it hasn't, I reckon it'd be a great psychological ploy, even if the goalie you bring on isn't any better at pens than the #1.

Actually a very good call. Brezovan is the only Albion keeper who's looked like saving penalties in the last couple of years.
TK is a great keeper, but he isn't that BIG. When nervous opposition players are stood over their critical penalties, Brez will look HUGE.
Not only the fact that Brez is huge, but he's just been sat there picking his nose for 120 minutes, as opposed to Tommy K.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ

My only fear would be making the sub 30 seconds too early, opposition cross comes in and Brez flaps it into the net.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My only fear would be making the sub 30 seconds too early, opposition cross comes in and Brez flaps it into the net.
To make it 1-1 and set up the penalties.

Gus thinks of everything!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here