• Penalty all day long

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • No way José

Votes: 84 97.7%

• Total voters

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
The ref gave the penalty though - not VAR. VAR just didn't overturn it - which is also awful, but a different starting point.

Even Shearer reckons it was wrong!
I don't know whether the ref went to look at the monitor but if he didn't then he only saw it once and at full speed. I might not blame him if that was the case.
At which point though, VAR with their camera angles, stop start, slow down speed up replays should've denied it. It's plain to see its not a penalty. But they didn't.

If the ref did review it on the monitor then the investigation and hence the questions in my first post should be directed at him.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I don't know whether the ref went to look at the monitor but if he didn't then he only saw it once and at full speed. I might not blame him if that was the case.
At which point though, VAR with their camera angles, stop start, slow down speed up replays should've denied it. It's plain to see its not a penalty. But they didn't.

If the ref did review it on the monitor then the investigation and hence the questions in my first post should be directed at him.
Pretty sure he didn't go to the monitor. Guess they must have considered it not to be 'clear and obvious' (or even doubtful)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
having seen the Sterling penalty in the Chelsea game, there's a stunning lack of consistency. at least that one looks like a penalty.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Your post suggested that the rules have changed to the extent that soft penalties (with minimal contact) like that are often given. But I don't think it was a soft penalty, I think it was a mistake, pure and simple, and nothing to do with 'in this day and age'.
OK 👍🏼

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here