• Penalty all day long

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • No way José

Votes: 84 97.7%

• Total voters

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Which suggests that it's correct to give them now, because the rules have changed.

Indeed the rules have changed, so things that would be a yellow or red now, may not have been in the past. But that's not what's happened here (as you acknowledge). That would have been given in the past too, because the ref could have missed that it was dive then too. In this day and age, that should be given as a dive.
Where did I ever say it was correct? All I meant is that I'm not surprised it was given, having seen some other decisions that have been made in the past couple of seasons.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Can't believe, given how many times VAR has learnt from past mistakes, that we're still getting absolute howlers like this.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Crikey, it’s another embarrassing dive. He actually carried it out poorly, got the timing wrong, rubbish acting.

I’d love it if defenders wised up in the moment and withdrew from the challenge altogether.

With red cards for 100% fake pen box simulation.
should definatly be straight red for dive in the box, akin to professional foul. the trouble would be, as we see here, the officals seem willing to accept "contact" with a trailing boot as legitmate foul. i dont know why they let themselves so easily dupped, would expect some pride in how they officated.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
should definatly be straight red for dive in the box, akin to professional foul. the trouble would be, as we see here, the officals seem willing to accept "contact" with a trailing boot as legitmate foul. i dont know why they let themselves so easily dupped, would expect some pride in how they officated.
Wasn't even a trailing boot really - he put his foot down onto the defenders if anything.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don’t think VAR is the underlying issue.

Obviously Howe, Emery and others coach cheating, although on their tablets no doubt it’s given an honest name.

It come from above, FIFA or UEFA. They deliberately allow this, decades of deeming it clever, part of the game. Their rules and interpretations are imposed on associations.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I don’t think VAR is the underlying issue.

Obviously Howe, Emery and others coach cheating, although on their tablets no doubt it’s given an honest name.

It come from above, FIFA or UEFA. They deliberately allow this, decades of deeming it clever, part of the game. Their rules and interpretations are imposed on associations.

This. Hwang is primarily at fault. He could have released it earlier but hangs onto the ball too long in his own penalty area, Schar then does his best Tom Daley. It's then all the refs fault. It's never a penalty but the other two actions get conveniently ignored in the round up.

Reactions: cjd

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This. Hwang is primarily at fault. He could have released it earlier but hangs onto the ball too long in his own penalty area, Schar then does his best Tom Daley. It's then all the refs fault. It's never a penalty but the other two actions get conveniently ignored in the round up.

I do think the NUFC player is a cringy cheat.

I know what you mean, various footballing errors. But the player was falling with a ridiculous faux in pain face, before anything tangible had occurred.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Obviously players shouldn't dive, but all the time they do and penalties get given as a result they will continue to dive.

The refs need to stop falling for it or the VAR steps in and calls it what it is.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Where did I ever say it was correct? All I meant is that I'm not surprised it was given, having seen some other decisions that have been made in the past couple of seasons.

Your post suggested that the rules have changed to the extent that soft penalties (with minimal contact) like that are often given. But I don't think it was a soft penalty, I think it was a mistake, pure and simple, and nothing to do with 'in this day and age'.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
PGMOL - you'd better print off another sincere and abject apology. Have you thought of getting them done in buk on line? - it might work out cheaper/

Can't give more than 9.1 for the dive though - pretty shabby effort. Must be quite humiliating that you didn't even get a yellow for that. :facepalm:

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
There is no justification for giving that penalty.
The VAR bods should be investigated and questioned re their interpretation of the laws and justification for the decision they reached.
If you stuck to the law you would never give that as a penalty so there must be some other reason. Either they don't understand the laws, or they're deliberately cheating, or their eyesight let them down.
Whatever their answer they should never be allowed to officiate or be the VAR ever again.
Something is very wrong there.

Oh yeah, a retrospective punishment for simulation should be dished out to the diving cheating pussy fart too.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Blatant cheating, just when you thought you couldn't dislike Newcastle United anymore......

It comes from the manager. He’s not the only PL coach obsessed with gamesmanship and cheating. Not all 20 are.

Then people will tell you here Howe is incredible. Airbrushing out that the Saudis spent loads and had no European distractions last year.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
There is no justification for giving that penalty.
The VAR bods should be investigated and questioned re their interpretation of the laws and justification for the decision they reached.
If you stuck to the law you would never give that as a penalty so there must be some other reason. Either they don't understand the laws, or they're deliberately cheating, or their eyesight let them down.
Whatever their answer they should never be allowed to officiate or be the VAR ever again.
Something is very wrong there.

Oh yeah, a retrospective punishment for simulation should be dished out to the diving cheating pussy fart too.
The ref gave the penalty though - not VAR. VAR just didn't overturn it - which is also awful, but a different starting point.

Even Shearer reckons it was wrong!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It comes from the manager. He’s not the only PL coach obsessed with gamesmanship and cheating. Not all 20 are.

Then people will tell you here Howe is incredible. Airbrushing out that the Saudis spent loads and had no European distractions last year.
Howe is as cynical as they come, he’s a great match for Newcastle’s owners. All awful.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Howe is as cynical as they come, he’s a great match for Newcastle’s owners. All awful.

I’m sure he’s changed … for the worse. Although I’ve never liked the sneaky school-prefect smirk. His Plucky PL team played end to end honest football where they were going to either win 5-4 or get a hammering.

Now it’s all about running the clock down if winning, players buying fouls, faux injuries to ruin the momentum of opponents playing well. With Emery and Silva, cnts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here