Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peacehaven

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Wasn't Peacehaven designed by an American hence all the street names are avenues and follows a 90 degree grid system. I thought they also had the rights to put large American style shop signs on the pavement although I think most have now gone.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Wasn't Peacehaven designed by an American hence all the street names are avenues and follows a 90 degree grid system. I thought they also had the rights to put large American style shop signs on the pavement although I think most have now gone.

No.

meeching gull

Sep 18, 2010
Boat Alley

Not American it was designed for home coming troops from the 1st world war I think.
A competition was held to name it and if I'm not wrong Anzac by the Sea won it but then they
changed and went for Peacehaven.But then I could be totally wrong and misread/heard it all.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Any Peacehaven Seagulls? I complete on my first property on the 29th.

Never lived there so what is it all about? Any good pubs?

Bizarre that you have made probably the biggest purchase of your life yet you know nothing about the area the house is in ?

???

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Bizarre that you have made probably the biggest purchase of your life yet you know nothing about the area the house is in ?

???

in fairness i cant imagine the estate agent laid it on thick about the nightlife and entertainment

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Cheers, the location is fine I have Rottingdean close for drinks if it's as bad as it sounds! Tbh with a mortgage not sure I'll be able to afford to go to a pub much longer! Plus Brighton is close. I was just curious if there was anything anyone moving to the should know.

I heard the Pantry is good?

I also heard the good companions has new owners and is a great little sports bar now? True or false? I love sports bars something Brighton is sorely lacking.

Oh and is Big Mouths still as good as my ten year old post football training memories tell me?

Big Mouths is beautiful. The pantry is also good in my experiences! Definitely not worse than Newhaven, although chavs are really starting to come through here.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

It was developed and designed by Charles Nevill who had made his money building towns in Australia and Canada. Its original name was New Anzac on Sea and the road names were originally named after First World War events and battles but was deemed to be in poor taste hence the competition to rename the place in 1916, of which Peacehaven was the winner. The road names were all jettisoned too except for Malines Avenue and Cavell Avenue, the latter named after edith Cavell a nun executed as a spy by the Germans in Belgium.

Having grown up there I got out as quick as I could.

meeching gull

Sep 18, 2010
Boat Alley
It was developed and designed by Charles Nevill who had made his money building towns in Australia and Canada. Its original name was New Anzac on Sea and the road names were originally named after First World War events and battles but was deemed to be in poor taste hence the competition to rename the place in 1916, of which Peacehaven was the winner. The road names were all jettisoned too except for Malines Avenue and Cavell Avenue, the latter named after edith Cavell a nun executed as a spy by the Germans in Belgium.

I nearly got it right :thumbsup: Not bad for me as pretty shit at history

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
The Meridian line runs through Peacehaven, so at least you know your watch is bang on!

Moved here from Portslade 5 years ago, one crap hole to another!

If you have kids there's a great coffee shop just opened on the coast road that is child friendly with toys etc. nice place to grab a cuppa.

Finally worth popping into a Peacehaven game. Beer in the terraces and good chat with locals makes nice change from the sterile theatre up at the Amex!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

Thanks for clearing that up. Got about 3% nearly right.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven

???

When did I say I know nothing about the area? If I implied it that was accidental. I just wanted to know if there was anything worth knowing.

Already think I may head up to the football club for a match at some point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here