[Albion] Paul Winstanley joins Chelsea as Director of Global Talent and Transfers

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Whilst not defending it, I really don't think it's massively different to us taking Potter, Reid, Hamberg and Reid from Swansea in one go.

When Potter moved to us, Bruno and Roberts became integrated into that coaching unit, in the same way that Gus Poyet picked up Charlie Oatway when he moved to the Albion, taking him away with him when he left.

Coaching is very much a team game, with head coach/managers often sticking with their tried-and-trusted team and moving them from club to club.

Regardless, I can't wait for the panto-style booing, hissing and "he's behind you"-ing on Saturday, Bring it on!
It’s SO different. We are an (almost) established Premier League side in 4th place and just SIX f***ing games into a new season. Classless from Chelsea & Potter.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
It’s a good business plan to ensure you get a windfall from release clauses and from a purely business point of view makes it less of an imperative to keep these key people. Again, though, what longterm impact does this have on player and fan moral?
In the long term, we'd do significantly more damage to morale by preventing people from moving on than we do by letting them go when the right offer arrives.
Obviously it's annoying in the short term for the supporters.
It strikes me that a lot of the outrage over Potter leaving stems from the fact that managers are almost invariably sacked by the club, and therefore the supporters by proxy.
The idea of a manager leaving for a "better" opportunity turns the power dynamic on its head.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
FFS this is really taking the piss now! And the timing too. Have we got a players chef they fancy? Or maybe our hawk that chases off the pigeons!

I was planning to show cool indifference on Saturday but really might just boo now. And if anyone has a problem with that tough! If they want to show a lack of class then so can I!

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Serious question Swanny. How many grounds, how many teams have you seen in the flesh so to speak in the UK?? You have dropped a bollock here if you don't think elements of every clubs supporters don't show their frustrations and passion, particularly in games which they have dominated and reasonably expecting a result by booing, jeering etc when at the final score. I've been to 56 away grounds watching BHA and the victories we've had over some have always led to total disenchantment from the home supporters. The bit you don't get is they like us, turn up again and again, year in, year out. Its the hope that kills us. To link players and coaches wanting away not because of financial benefits but because they participated in a particular game having performed below expectations and some in the crowd reacting accordingly is ludicrous in the extreme. You really need to go and experience a game. Any game, non league or top of the premier league. It will be the same atmosphere especially if the home team loses. If you can't be bothered then look at Arsenal tv etc from a few seasons ago. Those same people who were demanding Arteta's head and F, inn and blinding at him to get out of their club now treat him as if he's been canonised. Funny game being a fan. Almost if winning makes people happy. That my friend covers all 92 professional club in England and the hundreds of non leaguers to boot.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
In the long term, we'd do significantly more damage to morale by preventing people from moving on than we do by letting them go when the right offer arrives.
Obviously it's annoying in the short term for the supporters.
It strikes me that a lot of the outrage over Potter leaving stems from the fact that managers are almost invariably sacked by the club, and therefore the supporters by proxy.
The idea of a manager leaving for a "better" opportunity turns the power dynamic on its head.
It’s the TIMING. Chelsea’s shitshow turns into OUR shitshow just six games into a new season. That is the issue. Happy for him to have f***ed off to the Kings Road Raiders at the end of last season or the end of this one.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
It’s the TIMING. Chelsea’s shitshow turns into OUR shitshow just six games into a new season. That is the issue. Happy for him to have f***ed off to the Kings Road Raiders at the end of last season or the end of this one.
I know the timing stank, I've been through being angry over it.
If a club sacks a manager halfway through a season, sometimes after only a few games, plenty of people will say it's stupid. Nobody will claim the owner has no morals or has done something outrageously wrong.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
FFS this is really taking the piss now! And the timing too. Have we got a players chef they fancy? Or maybe our hawk that chases off the pigeons!

I was planning to show cool indifference on Saturday but really might just boo now. And if anyone has a problem with that tough! If they want to show a lack of class then so can I!
Got my WSL seat sorted, I’ll be giving potter and the rest of the chelsea twats plenty.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I know the timing stank, I've been through being angry over it.
If a club sacks a manager halfway through a season, sometimes after only a few games, plenty of people will say it's stupid. Nobody will claim the owner has no morals or has done something outrageously wrong.
The other obvious thing to say, is that of course a big club is naturally going to want him when his stock is highest.

If we hadn’t won in 11, for example, no way would a top club have swooped. We’ve been victims of the success brought by Potter (and his team), but succession planning is hopefully going to mitigate the loss.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Serious question Swanny. How many grounds, how many teams have you seen in the flesh so to speak in the UK?? You have dropped a bollock here if you don't think elements of every clubs supporters don't show their frustrations and passion, particularly in games which they have dominated and reasonably expecting a result by booing, jeering etc when at the final score. I've been to 56 away grounds watching BHA and the victories we've had over some have always led to total disenchantment from the home supporters. The bit you don't get is they like us, turn up again and again, year in, year out. Its the hope that kills us. To link players and coaches wanting away not because of financial benefits but because they participated in a particular game having performed below expectations and some in the crowd reacting accordingly is ludicrous in the extreme. You really need to go and experience a game. Any game, non league or top of the premier league. It will be the same atmosphere especially if the home team loses. If you can't be bothered then look at Arsenal tv etc from a few seasons ago. Those same people who were demanding Arteta's head and F, inn and blinding at him to get out of their club now treat him as if he's been canonised. Funny game being a fan. Almost if winning makes people happy. That my friend covers all 92 professional club in England and the hundreds of non leaguers to boot.

Winning makes people happy in every country.

Its what you do when you lose and/or not yet winning that builds relations between players and supporters though. Same as in relationships really, any- and everyone can be in a relationship as long as the days are just filled with cuddling and cumming but its how you treat eachother when shit gets rough that will ultimately make or break it. Being "unhappy" (like after a loss) does not mean you have to boo or scream things to the players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports