[Albion] Paul Winstanley joins Chelsea as Director of Global Talent and Transfers

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I want the underdog to win. I would definitely prefer a Brighton win. GP can go on and win titles without winning in Brighton.

Best scenario is if Chelsea lead with 0-1 with five minutes left so that the half of you who have went home in order to hope to catch the Liverpool game don't get to see Trossards injury time brace.
I see you wanting the Chavs to win EVERY single game and win the EPL and CL. Even if that’s our expense in a couple of EPL games, the club you liked for a period.

Call it bollocks, but that’s my intuition.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
They paid release clause for the coaching staff. Winstanley won’t have that so will have a notice period and gardening leave
Why won't he have that?
They paid release clause for the coaching staff. Winstanley won’t have that so will have a notice period and gardening leave
Will be the same here, the price we set will be the release clause, no? Chelsea have paid them so far, Newcastle refused to for Ashworth so waited until his leave had finished

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I see you wanting the Chavs to win EVERY single game and win the EPL and CL. Even if that’s our expense in a couple of EPL games, the club you liked for a period.

Call it bollocks, but that’s my intuition.
Winning the PL and CL would be nice. Losing to Brighton and Brentford would also be nice. Can have both.

By the way, that's the same club you've admitted usually staying home from because it is very comfy to sit home in the couch, right?

If, heaven forbid, I was stuck on that island, I'd be wasting all my money on going to football. But now, like several other NSC members, I'm not.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm sure the Amex will be a lot better at boing the ex-coach rather than supporting the new one.
Clueless, having never attended an English game, again, you wouldn’t understand how booing the opposition (and/ or a ref having a mare) whilst cheeering the team can create a FANTASTIC atmosphere and drive the team on. Hopefully Saturday will be the day you see it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Clueless, having never attended an English game, again, you wouldn’t understand how booing the opposition (and/ or a ref having a mare) whilst cheeering the team can create a FANTASTIC atmosphere
Meh. I usually go to forums and Facebook groups with football globetrotters to find out where the good atmosphere is, and then I go there. There really isn't anyone in those communities saying "go to England" so its pretty far down my list. In normal circumstances I'd already have had a peak but now it might take a bit longer. And I'm definitely not going there to watch the Premier League.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I want the underdog to win. I would definitely prefer a Brighton win. GP can go on and win titles without winning in Brighton.

Best scenario is if Chelsea lead with 0-1 with five minutes left so that the half of you who have went home in order to hope to catch the Liverpool game don't get to see Trossards injury time brace.
You really are a piece of work, aren’t you?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Winning the PL and CL would be nice. Losing to Brighton and Brentford would also be nice. Can have both.

By the way, that's the same club you've admitted usually staying home from because it is very comfy to sit home in the couch, right?

If, heaven forbid, I was stuck on that island, I'd be wasting all my money on going to football. But now, like several other NSC members, I'm not.
I’ve been to countless hundreds of Albion games, my mojo’s back now my son’s back from uni. As well as visiting many stadia in Scotland and England.

You can always go to regularly watch your local club, rather than following the Chavs.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Meh. I usually go to forums and Facebook groups with football globetrotters to find out where the good atmosphere is, and then I go there. There really isn't anyone in those communities saying "go to England" so its pretty far down my list. In normal circumstances I'd already have had a peak but now it might take a bit longer. And I'm definitely not going there to watch the Premier League.
So where have you actually been to watch live football? Games you’ve seen?

No lying…

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
You really are a piece of work, aren’t you?
It's almost like he wants to go out with a flourish, isn't it? A little 'studenty' kinda attitude, but one we've come to expect, although I did think it would happen as soon as his beloved went to Chelsea.
Still, the nights are kicking-in in Sweden now, so that probably has some effect on him.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I'm not that surprised or bothered by this. The damage has been done already. It's a very appealing job so there's bound to be loads of young and hungry talent applying. f*** Chelsea though.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I’m not a business person, nor do I know how the Club operates behind the scenes so everything I say could be boll*cks BUT

The Club has already said haven’t they, that they are trying to get in a position where they don’t need TB’s ongoing financial input anymore but want to become financially independent?

The question then, is without TB’s additional financial input in the future, at what level can Brighton literally afford to compete at in the long term? Without TB’s future investments will we be punching above our financial weight to sustain a regular top 10 finish - maybe we already are? Our extensive scouting programme and the academy form a large part of why Brighton has been so competitive to date in the PL imo but the overheads of running these programs would be enormous vis a vis the returns required - so is the club’s financial survival locked into a business model dependent on having to sell every time any one comes knocking if the price is right just because we cant afford to turn them down whether it’s good for the team or not?

It’s a great business model if you’re looking at football players and staff being purely commodities in a transfer and job market but what is the long term effect on the remaining players and fan moral if every time the team starts moving up the table there’s a fire sale and the Club inevitably slides down the table again? It’s even more pertinent that the Club has not been able to keep (afford?) some very key people who have been integral to the success of that model of business - It’s a good business plan to ensure you get a windfall from release clauses and from a purely business point of view makes it less of an imperative to keep these key people. Again, though, what longterm impact does this have on player and fan moral?

As I said, I’m not a business person and little idea really how the Club is run behind the scenes. I just enjoy the football from the terraces and am committed to BHA emotionally and geographically. It’s hard to quantify my passion for the Club but I know it’s not because it runs a good business model of scout, train, sell and has the acumen to make money from release clauses when it looses it’s best staff. Perhaps I am being naïve and this is the way all clubs survive outside the top 6 mega bucks (7 now) and there’s no alternative model if you want to be competitive in the top half of the PL - I don’t have to bloody like it though.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm sure the Amex will be a lot better at boing the ex-coach rather than supporting the new one.
You're not doing yourself any favours tonight, fella.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So where have you actually been to watch live football?

No lying…
Ten countries (might be more), 50+ stadiums (majority of them in Germany as it can be done as a cheap day trip).

Not been abroad (other than Denmark but it doesnt count) for four years though but I'll go somewhere next year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports