Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Weller

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The Jam were amazing, anyone who saw them live was privileged to see an English band at their best, and Weller was articulate, angry and passionate.

The Style Council to me were a betrayal of all of the above, although I can understand his weariness of being 'the voice' of disaffected youth at the time.

Since then I have liked some of his songs, but I don't have the musical history knowledge or history to appreciate them from a technical or muso perspective.

A best of is something that I would change a dozen times, but here goes...

When You're Young

Funeral Pyre

That's Entertainment

...but it will change quickly.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
The Jam were amazing, anyone who saw them live was privileged to see an English band at their best, and Weller was articulate, angry and passionate.

The Style Council to me were a betrayal of all of the above

Exactly this.

Down in the Tube Station... for me. Everything you ever need in a song and more. Poetry, passion, tune.

Can't think of a single Style Council or solo song that rates above "stupefyingly dull" in my books.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

The Style Council to me were a betrayal of all of the above, although I can understand his weariness of being 'the voice' of disaffected youth at the time.

Since then I have liked some of his songs, but I don't have the musical history knowledge or history to appreciate them from a technical or muso perspective.

A best of is something that I would change a dozen times, but here goes...

When You're Young

Funeral Pyre

That's Entertainment

...but it will change quickly.

Paul Weller was equally articulate, angry and passionate in The Style Council (for about four years anyway). He just found a different way to express it...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Turning Japanese was the single at the time I think, but I don't think they dd anything ese of note, really.

What was the song that closed their album? 'Letter from Hiro' I believe. That was pretty good. Liked a couple of other songs off the record too, but they didn't really have the strength in depth to be much more than one-hit wonders.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I think it was possibly an homage to The Kinks who released a live version of it [live at Kelvin Hall]. The Jam used to perform it live as well.

Thank you. That clears that one up!

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Paul Weller-genius.Another member of the elite English singer/songwriters!
Too many favourites too mention

Carnation
Away from the numbers
Butterfly collector
Start
Friday street
Strange town
Everchanging moods
Paris match

Some outstanding lyrics in all of these songs!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Saw The Jam at the centre three times, the 79 gig, and two later gigs,including th last ever show. I think it was one of these he threatened to brain a bouncer with a mike stand for bullying the crowd.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here