Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Weller

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We had this conversation this evening, for me it is, and always will be, "Just Who is the Five o'clock Hero?" For hotchillicat it is "That's Entertainment", and for The Large One it is "When You're Young". The conversation did include the fact that tomorrow the choice might be different, especially for TLO, but for me, 5 o'clock hero will always be the one.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
In the city.
Going underground.
Thats entertainment.
Tube station.
Modern world.
I could make a bigger list of tracks by The Jam but here are 5 that i like the best.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Post your favourite songs by the most underrated singer/songwriter, a genius who's work isn't appreciated enough by the nation :rock::rock::guitar::guitar:

Not underated in my book, now or back in the late 70s when the Jam were massive.
I was lucky enough to see the Jam in 79.

theyellowdinosaur

Nov 29, 2011
Not underated in my book, now or back in the late 70s when the Jam were massive.
I was lucky enough to see the Jam in 79.

Perhaps underrated was the wrong word, he has been quite rightly recognised as one of the greatest by many people who know what they're talking about e.g. Steve Marriott, Oasis and loads of others but if you took a group of people of say 10-50 years and played them a song by Queen most would instantly know the song and the artist name but if you played a song such as town called malice they would recognise the song but a large number wouldn't know the artist or song name despite the fact that the Jam were miles better than Queen.

P.S. was that the show up in Newcastle you went to, unfortunately they split up before I was born so I can only watch videos of them live

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Perhaps underrated was the wrong word, he has been quite rightly recognised as one of the greatest by many people who know what they're talking about e.g. Steve Marriott, Oasis and loads of others but if you took a group of people of say 10-50 years and played them a song by Queen most would instantly know the song and the artist name but if you played a song such as town called malice they would recognise the song but a large number wouldn't know the artist or song name despite the fact that the Jam were miles better than Queen.

P.S. was that the show up in Newcastle you went to, unfortunately they split up before I was born so I can only watch videos of them live
No i saw The Jam at the Brighton Centre, think it was 79, the Vapours were the support band , i think.
Also saw the Who at the Centre.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
His Style Council years are definitely underrated.

Favourite lyrics:
Headstart for Happiness
Money Go Round
Homebreakers

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Great songwriter most certainly. Under-rated? Not a chance. He's had lifetime achievement awards, mercury nominations, the Ivor Novello, he's had the lot.

Indeed, as 'underrated' goes I think he's somewhat overrated. More good songs than Sting, no way near as many good songs as David Gedge.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
"Two lovers seeking the tranquility of solitude" is the most shit lyric in any song ever.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Worst Jam lyrics:
Every line in 'News of the World.'

Worst Style Council lyric:
"Thatcher is the queen, Ronald Reagan is the king. And the nuclear arms race is the wedding ring."

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Ah, but that's a Bruce Foxton composition (as is Smithers-Jones mentioned earlier).

Thank you. Now I know why Foxton never had a successful solo career!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here