Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Clement - dark horse

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
until this season, other than Inigo Calderon and Fran Sandaza in League 1, we had no other Spanish players or staff until Vicente signed during our first season at the Amex.

Paul Clement was assistant and caretaker coach at Blackburn Rovers when they were relegated from the Premier League and has never played professional football.

So if it's ok with you, I wil pass on this one as there are better candidates.

Very fair point of view, it would certainly be calculated gamble. Because he might not cut it. Equally it could be the first stop in a great managerial career. But there will be proven strong candidates, no question.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
until this season, other than Inigo Calderon and Fran Sandaza in League 1, we had no other Spanish players or staff until Vicente signed during our first season at the Amex.

Paul Clement was assistant and caretaker coach at Blackburn Rovers when they were relegated from the Premier League and has never played professional football.

So if it's ok with you, I wil pass on this one as there are better candidates.

well what is the definition of the spanish experiment? surely fran sandaza and inigo calderon in league 1 (and poyet as manager, i know hes not spanish, but hes a spanish speaker, who wants to play the spanish way, and recruit spaniards/south americans) indicate the start of the spanish experiment, or are you defining it by a 'spanish' style of play (the tiki-taka style slow build up) that we absolutely played in league 1 and into the championship

you also didnt mention that paul clement was assistant to STEVE KEAN when VENKYS had just come in - he was an absolute calamity of a manager, signing awful players as they benefited him/his agent - with fans against him. truly an awful time for that club. Nobody could have reversed that

then add to the fact that Ancelotti picked him up after this, shows that he obviously rates him

Jose Mourinho never played a level of football higher than semi-pro, did Villas-Boas/Ralf Rangnick ever play professionally? - same as Paul Clement. this of course means NOTHING. but seeing as you highlighted it, i thought id give an example of somebody similar who has achieved a LOT, without the real playing experience that you feel is necessary

this is of course all down to opinion - but id be interested to know who you think are better candidates, and your reasoning

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Don't understand this argument. Clement is British. He's not even spent a whole year in spain yet. Where's the Spanish obsession in this?

I am not necessarily talking about him, I just mean the obsession some fans seem to have with Spain.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Joking aside, Colin's style of play is (not unreasonably) consigned to the dark ages but there can still be a place for experience. It is difficult to balance though. It works best when the experience comes from within the club which is one reason I think there may be a place for Nathan Jones whatever happens. Would love a young coach committed to fast passing football but that might not satisfy those who want excitement AND to win the league at a canter.

Like it pmsl

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Agree with the vast majority of comments on here.

I was all for him and still am to a certain extent. I think he could do an excellent job,

My concern is that in the last few years he is very much accustomed to working with the very best of the best. Players that astronomical ammounts of money can only buy. At brighton he would not get this and that is where I can see him failing.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
well what is the definition of the spanish experiment? surely fran sandaza and inigo calderon in league 1 (and poyet as manager, i know hes not spanish, but hes a spanish speaker, who wants to play the spanish way, and recruit spaniards/south americans) indicate the start of the spanish experiment, or are you defining it by a 'spanish' style of play (the tiki-taka style slow build up) that we absolutely played in league 1 and into the championship

you also didnt mention that paul clement was assistant to STEVE KEAN when VENKYS had just come in - he was an absolute calamity of a manager, signing awful players as they benefited him/his agent - with fans against him. truly an awful time for that club. Nobody could have reversed that

then add to the fact that Ancelotti picked him up after this, shows that he obviously rates him

Jose Mourinho never played a level of football higher than semi-pro, did Villas-Boas/Ralf Rangnick ever play professionally? - same as Paul Clement. this of course means NOTHING. but seeing as you highlighted it, i thought id give an example of somebody similar who has achieved a LOT, without the real playing experience that you feel is necessary

this is of course all down to opinion - but id be interested to know who you think are better candidates, and your reasoning

Better candidates?

Tim Sherwood- took a team to the Uefa cup with its highest ever points total, played for a premier league winning team and so has contacts in the English game

Ralf Rangnick - has an impressive win ratio of 45% and has managed some of the best sides in German football.

Malky Mackay - got cardiff in to the premier league and got them to mid table before a mad chairman sacked him

Franco Zola - had a good first season at Watford and would likely attract the players we would want to sign to get into the premier league. Maybe not as good a record as the others, but would be popular amongst fans with his preferred style of play.

Steve Clarke - unlucky to be sacked at west brom, has good contacts at Liverpool and Chelsea. an outsider, but more experience that Clement.

Roberto di matteo - champions league winner, over 50% win ratio and has proven he can work with smaller and larger budgets.

Any of those I would be happy with.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I had to google him too. But he does sound perfect. Been in game a while. Will keep the spaniards happy and would want to stay more than a year in his first manager job

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Better candidates?

Tim Sherwood- took a team to the Uefa cup with its highest ever points total, played for a premier league winning team and so has contacts in the English game

Ralf Rangnick - has an impressive win ratio of 45% and has managed some of the best sides in German football.

Malky Mackay - got cardiff in to the premier league and got them to mid table before a mad chairman sacked him

Franco Zola - had a good first season at Watford and would likely attract the players we would want to sign to get into the premier league. Maybe not as good a record as the others, but would be popular amongst fans with his preferred style of play.

Steve Clarke - unlucky to be sacked at west brom, has good contacts at Liverpool and Chelsea. an outsider, but more experience that Clement.

Roberto di matteo - champions league winner, over 50% win ratio and has proven he can work with smaller and larger budgets.

Any of those I would be happy with.

very fair - i do agree with a lot of your choices - although i would probably discount sherwood as i think he has a diabolical attitude from what ive seen in the media, and could see him isolating players and moaning when things dont go his way like poyet did

also a bit wary of malky as he didnt do a brilliant job at watford (although this was before they had the new owners/investment/loanees), and got cardiff up with a big budget, which he wouldnt have at brighton

the others i agree - although i would be happy with chris powell also - think he would do a good job with our budget if we are deciding to tighten the pursestrings

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I just think that after a couple of "experimental" appointments, TB will opt for someone with experience this time.

He won't want the same thing to happen a third time.

So it's Steve Clarke for me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
I just think that after a couple of "experimental" appointments, TB will opt for someone with experience this time.

He won't want the same thing to happen a third time.

So it's Steve Clarke for me.

So we need someone with experience, and your solution is a manager who has had one job as a number one lasting less than two seasons. Loving that logic

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here