Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Clement - dark horse

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Doubt we'd tick them for him though

Not so sure, he is clearly realistic about having to start in management outside the Premiership. The Spanish connection may well suit him as well. However he is clearly very ambitious so we would be going down a very familiar road......

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Chelsea academy coach previously. Like the look of that. Pick up some more of their 'unwanted' youngsters please :whistle:

Depending on timing, doesn't that mean he would have responsibility for releasing the likes of Bridcutt, Ince and similar?

(I get they may be released as there is a belief they won't become first team Chelsea players, but you'd think they'd be worth a fee rather than just released.)

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Doubt we'd tick them for him though

That remains to be seen. There's a concensus, however accurate, that we are unprepared to spend money or that we have none to spend, which is fine. A large number of our players however, including what you would imagine are some of the highest earners, are out of contract. That could be prefect for the right person, a blank slate if you will.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Could be an interesting choice. I do not hate the sound of this at all. Ancelotti obviously seems to rate him so I guess he will learnt a lot from him.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Depending on timing, doesn't that mean he would have responsibility for releasing the likes of Bridcutt, Ince and similar?

(I get they may be released as there is a belief they won't become first team Chelsea players, but you'd think they'd be worth a fee rather than just released.)

Fair point, but they were only worth a fee after showing what they could do in first team football, which was clearly never going to happen at Chelsea.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

It seems to be a weird system at Chelsea. Quite clearly a lot of their players have potential but tend to be released it seems. You would have thought, as you say, they would try and get a fee for their developmental work.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
An unproven coach with no experience of managing a team and just because this bloke works in Spain? Jesus talk about shallow!

So you've discounted him "Just because the bloke works in Spain"?

He makes the right noises and has a catalogue of top notch coaching experience from the age of 23 and with it, the contacts from his time with Fulham, Chelsea, PSG and Real Madrid. What's not to like? We took a chance of Poyet and while it didn't end well, you can harldy deny that he did a pretty good job here. Every manager needs to start somewhere.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If this were to happen, I wonder if he'd bring anyone with him (in terms of staff). Ancelotti has a couple of English lads he tends to take everywhere with him - one is a sports scientist that was born and raised in Brighton

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Interviewed Clement when he was at PSG with Ancelotti. Sold it to the Mail on Sunday, but they paid for it and never used it. Might see if I can dig it out.

At that time he was obviously involved in a very exciting gig in Paris, which then became another one in Madrid. But he was already hoping that someone at home might believe that he had gained enough good experience under the likes of Mourinho and Ancelotti to be worth taking a punt on.

Would be an interesting choice, he is very connected and has a lot of sway at home and in Europe with players.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Carlo Ancalotti obviously saw something in this guy as he has taken him everywhere he has gone since Chelsea. I should think he has learnt a lot from him. Madrid play a good attacking game (although they are not exactly short if a few quid) and a simular sort of game could be implemented here.
A gamble but one that may well just pay off

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Ray Wilkins as assistant. I assume they worked together at Chelsea.

Naaah! Pick someone who will really give the moaners somethi g to get their false teeth into.... I would appoint Neil Warnock as an experienced older head to help a younger coach get us promoted :lol:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Naaah! Pick someone who will really give the moaners somethi g to get their false teeth into.... I would appoint Neil Warnock as an experienced older head to help a younger coach get us promoted :lol:

Warnock has been quoted as saying he always wanted to manage us at some point. Suspect though we are not close enough to his home in Cornwall now.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I mentioned him on here the other day only because he seemed like the type that would appeal to Tony. No-one had heard of Oscar before he came. Gus was a punt that worked well. I'll trust Tony to appoint the right man.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Warnock has been quoted as saying he always wanted to manage us at some point. Suspect though we are not close enough to his home in Cornwall now.

Joking aside, Colin's style of play is (not unreasonably) consigned to the dark ages but there can still be a place for experience. It is difficult to balance though. It works best when the experience comes from within the club which is one reason I think there may be a place for Nathan Jones whatever happens. Would love a young coach committed to fast passing football but that might not satisfy those who want excitement AND to win the league at a canter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here