Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Clement - dark horse

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
My only concern would be his (and any coach's) transition from a coach to a manager. Don't get me wrong, it can work fine but there have been plenty of occasions where it doesn't work. A good example could be Rene Meulensteen. Fantastic coach, arguably the best on field coach in the world yet he seemed pretty damn awful as a manager

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
SNN25TV01D_532_1396529a.jpg

???

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Do we really want to try yet another 'up and coming' manager???

Mind you they're the only types that will be interested, as it's finally been said that they wont have a say in what players they can buy, but on what will be given to them.

Well the last two have been a huge success. Would you prefer Micky Adams mark II again?

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
My only concern would be his (and any coach's) transition from a coach to a manager. Don't get me wrong, it can work fine but there have been plenty of occasions where it doesn't work. A good example could be Rene Meulensteen. Fantastic coach, arguably the best on field coach in the world yet he seemed pretty damn awful as a manager
Are we looking for a manager? I thought the set up was we are looking for a head coach. Management is loomed after by Barber and Burke.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Even more of a risk than Oscar, but he will certainly have some good contacts - the question is will he be able to use them ?

If appointed, I EXPECT Ronaldo and Bale here on loan - that should sort out the lack of creativity and pace !!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have just emailed Skybet requesting a price on Clement.

Chances are they'll come back with even money.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Are we looking for a manager? I thought the set up was we are looking for a head coach. Management is loomed after by Barber and Burke.

Manager/Head coach.....when it comes to the football, it doesn't make a difference.

And no....we're looking for a MANAGER according to Paul Barber's statement on the website

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This is with no inside knowledge of how high Paul Clement is on any wish-list, or indeed if he is on it at all. Just some words from the bloke from a couple of years ago on influences and hopes, was impressed with him on a trip to PSG. Obviously been at Real since, also with Ancelotti. I find it hard to see how he would fail, and he could get pretty much anyone on the phone for advice or players.

Clement

“I had heard a lot about Roy Hodgson’s experiences abroad through my stepfather Mike Kelly, his assistant for many years. And I just fancied it, learning the languages, experiencing the cultures and different styles of football.

“Everyone knows I worked with Jose Mourinho at Chelsea and I would like to follow people like Brendan Rodgers, Steve Clarke and Andre Villas-Boas who have gone on from there to be No1 managers in the UK.

“All those people I have worked with, and I have ambitions to follow them given the opportunity. I have had a great apprenticeship, and I think someone will take a punt on me.

“It’s about timing, and the right club of course, I would look back on my career with huge regret if I hadn’t given it a crack but there is no rush at the moment.

“People might raise the issue of experience to get a big job? But how long had Guardiola coached before getting the Barcelona job, and look at what he achieved, There is no right or wrong. I have had 17 years as a coach, five with senior squads* (*now 19/7).

“The three big influences in my coaching career have been Mourinho, Hiddink and Ancelotti. With Mourinho the attention to detail is something to behold. I have observed him at close quarters, he has been a big influence on way I chose to do things.
“Then in a different way Hiddink, he has amazing charisma and a great rapport with players.
“Ancelotti is a humble person, a fantastic coach and tactician, and a very good people manager.

“You hear it said sometimes of Rodgers, Villas Boas etc that they didn’t always stay close friends with Mourinho – but where he was so good he made demands on people, put pressure on people, and got the best out of them.
“Maybe that is not a recipe for staying friends with people long term, but even if it isn’t I doubt he is that worried about it, and probably they aren’t either. They know he got the best out of them.
“It was about being professional, and in those relationships he was very good.”

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Of all the names I've seen mentioned so far I feel more comfortable with the idea of Paul Clement as manager than all the others.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
how has the spanish experiment failed? we've gone from league one to consistently knocking on the premier league door in 3 years...
you don't even know if tony bloom is finished with the spanish experiment either.....

this is potentially an ENGLISH manager with a wealth of coaching experience, who has had an amazing 'apprenticeship', great contacts and can speak spanish fluently - he knows both the spanish and english leagues well, meaning he probably knows who he could target - to me it seems a perfect fit...

until this season, other than Inigo Calderon and Fran Sandaza in League 1, we had no other Spanish players or staff until Vicente signed during our first season at the Amex.

Paul Clement was assistant and caretaker coach at Blackburn Rovers when they were relegated from the Premier League and has never played professional football.

So if it's ok with you, I wil pass on this one as there are better candidates.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here