Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber's programme article about standing

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I've read the whole thread including Bozza's comments re the law. The implication in having non-standing all-seater grounds, is that people will be expected to sit on the seats. Bozza's comment reminds me of the Greek law about motorcycle helmets. It is law in Greece that a motorcyclist must wear a helmet while riding his motorcycle. But because the law does not specify that the helmet should be worn on the head, the Greeks wear them on their arms instead, which was plainly not the intention.

But it's still NOT the Law, is it? Besides, Bozza wasn't commenting randomly, he was quoting from the link given which specifically says that the Law states that they must provide seats.

As for your comment re: "North stand rejects"........tut tut.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've read the whole thread including Bozza's comments re the law. The implication in having non-standing all-seater grounds, is that people will be expected to sit on the seats. Bozza's comment reminds me of the Greek law about motorcycle helmets. It is law in Greece that a motorcyclist must wear a helmet while riding his motorcycle. But because the law does not specify that the helmet should be worn on the head, the Greeks wear them on their arms instead, which was plainly not the intention.

And do Greek motorcyclists get pulled and banned every couple of miles? Or has it now become accepted practice, tolerated by a police force who accept there are better things to focus on?

Or do motorcyclists from Athens get to wear them on their elbows scott free while motorcyclists from Rhodes constantly get pulled for not having them on their heads? Cos that's pretty much analogous to the standing situation in English football grounds.

It is NOT the law. That is precisely why it is so badly and inconsistently enforced.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Because standing in the North Stand will encourage standing in the rest of the ground, among the North Stand rejects. The standers should realise there are children, old people and many others in the ground, including in the North Stand, who cannot stand for one health or age reason or another, and that if those in front of them stand up, then those non-standers will not be able to see the game for which they have paid a hefty price for their ticket.

No it won't. So at the Goldstone the standing in the north made the west and south stand up? Daft logic.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Hovagirl has come out with this same old rubbish on the safe standing threads. Even though other posters blow her arguments out of the water, she continues with this same old rhetoric. I am genuinely confused as to her motives.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
There wouldn't be much difference because the other stands would just carry on singing. The North Stand Choir isn't as important as it thinks it is and isn't as loud as it thinks it is, so it doesn't actually generate all the singing anyway. From where I sit in the centre of ESU, the Away Choir often sounds much louder than the NS Choir, even when there are fewer of them. It's the acoustics, ye know.

The away fans are all standing are they not?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
:lol: funny example, but not relevant here. Bozza is not finding a loophole, the rules clearly state that it is not the law that people have to sit. Try following a link to the laws of the game and read that. All seater stadiums are not plainly to make people sit all the time - they were to prevent another Hillsborough disaster. That works even when people now stand.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think it's becoming clear that's not the case :facepalm:

I can only think of 2 grounds that I have visited where the stewards relish getting the away fans to sit down for the entire match. At some grounds the stewards won't bother getting away fans seated , some grounds get the stewards to make the away fans to sit down for the opening five minutes , some grounds get the stewards to make the away fans sit for 20/30 minutes or the first half.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
And do Greek motorcyclists get pulled and banned every couple of miles? Or has it now become accepted practice, tolerated by a police force who accept there are better things to focus on?

The Greek police farce prefers to remain in its office drinking very strong coffee and playing backgammon. Greeks don't trust the police. They feel they're part of the army, and the army is part of the old Junta under which they were ruled for so many years.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Hovagirl has come out with this same old rubbish on the safe standing threads. Even though other posters blow her arguments out of the water, she continues with this same old rhetoric. I am genuinely confused as to her motives.

My motives are to get selfish people to realise that the world has changed. If I have to accept that the world has changed because everyone spends all day glued to their mobile phone, then you have to accept that the world has changed and that you have to sit down in your posh new stadium.

Jameson

This whole dispute could have easily been avoided if the club had never stated when originally selling season tickets for the Amex we will turn a blind eye to people standing in the last 4 rows of the North Stand which they should never have done or state the travel tax as separate to a season ticket price.

Is absolutely correct. I thought it odd when this was stated at our season ticket presentation 2 years ago.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
:lol: funny example, but not relevant here. Bozza is not finding a loophole, the rules clearly state that it is not the law that people have to sit. Try following a link to the laws of the game and read that. All seater stadiums are not plainly to make people sit all the time - they were to prevent another Hillsborough disaster. That works even when people now stand.

I suppose it depends how you interpret it. People are going to leap out of their seats when their team scores a goal. And they are going to stand there for 5 minutes, clapping in ecstasy. They are not, then, committing a crime.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here