Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber's programme article about standing

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This whole dispute could have easily been avoided if the club had never stated when originally selling season tickets for the Amex we will turn a blind eye to people standing in the last 4 rows of the North Stand which they should never have done or state the travel tax as separate to a season ticket price.

You were doing so well up until the last bit about travel. You cannot help yourself can you?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
How is Barber gonna solve this, by throwning more fans out? Is that the Answer?
We HAVE to have dedicated stahding tolerated zone (which doesn't break rules, it just means they don't enforce the rule in qa certain area).
It is the ONLY way.
Hovagirl and drew might say "But sit down is the only way".
Not true
There is a normal way, a way in which those that don't want to stand don't get someone standing in front of them and those that want to stand can stand.
Easy. Designated standing area and the rest is Zero Tolerance.

Let's do it!:bounce:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Drew, again what gives? Why the anti stand brigade? You're not in the north, doesnt bother you, nothing to do with you, yet you continue to fight them on the standing. Weird. Strange.

I CALL for a North Stand Singing Strike!
Lets do it, when there's a lull in the game and no noise, you can rely on the WSU or the trusty old East for your noise.

STRIKE!!!!!

Are you really as stupid and childish as your posts regularly suggest?

Doesn't affect me you say! Well if the club lose the safety certificate and can't play games it affects me. If the club can't employ enough stewards because they can't get anyone to deal with a minority of arrogant selfish idiots in north stand and the game gets postponed, that affects me.

You obviously aren't intelligent enough to understand what I have previously posted. Where have I said I am anti standing? You are making it up. If the rules allow it then I have no problem with there being safe standing but at the moment the rules don't. Rather than use your brains to campaign against those that impose the rules on the club, you want confrontation with the Albion, the club you claim to support!

How long have you been a member of the Football Supporters Federation and how involved are you in the safe standing campaign, other than just signing the odd petition?

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Are you really as stupid and childish as your posts regularly suggest?

Doesn't affect me you say! Well if the club lose the safety certificate and can't play games it affects me. If the club can't employ enough stewards because they can't get anyone to deal with a minority of arrogant selfish idiots in north stand and the game gets postponed, that affects me.

You obviously aren't intelligent enough to understand what I have previously posted. Where have I said I am anti standing? You are making it up. If the rules allow it then I have no problem with there being safe standing but at the moment the rules don't. Rather than use your brains to campaign against those that impose the rules on the club, you want confrontation with the Albion, the club you claim to support!

How long have you been a member of the Football Supporters Federation and how involved are you in the safe standing campaign, other than just signing the odd petition?

People standing in the north won't make the club lose their safety certificate anymore then the club ignoring the away fans standing.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Roll on Forest next week, can't wait to see baldy dishing out his yellow cards again! The abuse he gets every week, surely it would be better to swallow the £20 he earns & buy a ticket ffs?

Roll on Forest next week, can't wait to see baldy dishing out his yellow cards again! The abuse he gets every week, surely it would be better to swallow the £20 he earns & buy a ticket ffs?

Baldy?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I read that article and thought he was absolutely spot on in the tone and content of what he was saying. He wasn't expressing his opinions on standing, they're irrelevant. All opinions on standing at football grounds are completely irrelevant because there is a law in place which states you can not stand at an all seater stadium. It is as clear as that. [/QUOTE]

It isn't so please refrain from posting nonsense as fact.

There is no law which states you can't stand in an all seater stadium in the same way there is no law which states you can't stand in a cinema.

Selling tickets in standing areas is illegal (such areas are technically not), but standing in seated areas is definitely not against the law otherwise you could get nicked when a goal is scored.

It's part of the ground regulations and therefore a contract between you and club. They have every right to evict and ban you, but you have not broken any law by standing. This has been confirmed by the authorities to the football supporters federation.

It's very much a civil issue unless you act like an ars*h*** when asked to sit down, which is why I'm genuinely surprised the Police often get involved because strictly speaking it's outside of their remit.

I fully support safe standing by the way. There is quite obviously a demand for it but who is really surprised football supporters aren't really considered customers. They continue to be treated as supporters.

I prefer to sit. Mainly because I'm 5 foot 7 and always get stuck behind a giant on a terrace.

I'm also front row upper West. I still think that wall ain't high enough.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Clubs are still learning how to treat supporters as customers but they are miles away yet. Anyone one else have a chuckle at the email regarding the panorama photo today ?

I'm so glad the picture frame is "tasteful". It reminded me of that Not The Nine O'Clock News gift shop sketch.

The failure to include an opt out on marketing communication another example. They will eventually get there. At such a time we shall see safe standing areas and the real financial problem ie players wages against turnover sorted and not passed onto fans under the cover of the implications of financial fair play.

Last edited:

People standing in the north won't make the club lose their safety certificate anymore then the club ignoring the away fans standing.

Unlikely too imo but the Licensing Authority could issue a prohibition notice restricting the number of spectators in certain areas of the stadium. In fact they may be obliged to do so if there's persistent standing as some are advocating.

The following is taken from the current SGSA Guide to Safety at Sports Grounds (The Green Guide):

"............While allowing for the natural tendency of spectators to stand up at key moments
during an event, stewards should also be trained and briefed to deal effectively with
spectators who persistently stand up (see also Section 12.20.e).
e. Standing in seated areas
Persistent standing by spectators in seated areas raises significant safety, crowd
management and customer care issues which are usually interrelated. Where these
are likely to arise, the ground management should prepare a comprehensive risk
assessment and plans for resolving them.
Local authorities should take these into account when agreeing the appropriate (S)
factor for the accommodation and/or event concerned. Local authorities should also
consider whether the capacity should be reduced to counter particular safety
problems, for example obstructed gangways or spectators standing in the front rows
of upper tiers."

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
I Haven't read the report, but was wondering why the stewards in the away end do not ask the fans to sit down during the game. You will notice that 95% of away fans stand for the entire game.

I think I know the reason they would be told to F"ck off most of the time.

If Barber hasn't mentioned the away fans sitting down, it would seem one rule for one etc.

My opinion let them stand, it does no harm and adds to the atmos.

You are correct in assuming the away fans would just say **** off,we Don't have the resources to throw them all out,taking ringleaders out doesn't work and the always Don't give a shot because they only come down once a season.It's the same situation at all grounds around the country,away fans Don't sit cause they won't be back till next season

Burgesshillseagull

Aug 30, 2012
Burgess Hill
Funny, how not one steward came to ask ANY fans to sit down during the palace game which thus provide precedence that this is not an enforceable rule.
When I bought my ticket they advised back 7 rows could stand, for 2 seasons nearly we have until the Barnsley game. Paul (your customers not fans) Barber wrote to advise we had changed seat number but never advised on enforcing a sit down rule.

This guy did not Swear, use intimidating behaviour, only remonstrated that why pick on him to which the stewards (who would seem come from thickidiotsorus.com) could not advise only that they were advised to select him.

If Mr Paul (your customers not fans) Barber wants to enforce write to all fans on renewal of season tickets!, however anyone who calls people customers and fans probably has no idea about football, and if this is enforced across the stadium would result in a quiet, un-passionate and boring atmostshere.

So if you want to sit down, that’s great just move to another stand i.e. the Library Stand (west) or the children’s playground (east)

screamadelica

Jan 28, 2013
How is Barber gonna solve this, by throwning more fans out? Is that the Answer?
We HAVE to have dedicated stahding tolerated zone (which doesn't break rules, it just means they don't enforce the rule in qa certain area).
It is the ONLY way.
Hovagirl and drew might say "But sit down is the only way".
Not true
There is a normal way, a way in which those that don't want to stand don't get someone standing in front of them and those that want to stand can stand.
Easy. Designated standing area and the rest is Zero Tolerance.

Let's do it!:bounce:

It`s been said before,undesignated seating in the North stand,sit down the front or stand towards the back i reckon it would be about 50/50

MICK PATCHAM

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
clues in the title
Frankly when I was reading it I thought what a tosser. Every reason he gave to justify it was nonsense given that 75% of the grounds I have been to this season accept standing throughout the match in large areas of their ground.

He is using a rule that has no teeth to target people that he doesn't regard as "customers" but "trouble makers". And in doing so he will gradually kill the atmosphere in the stadium.

It's akin to banning all pc's because of illegal music download. Complete nonsense.

agreed ....what a clunge

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here