Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Barber's biggest challenge will be to drive up commercial revenue streams when we get to the premier league. The biggest potential earners are stadium naming rights, shirt sponsorship and kit supplier deals. Match day revenue from food is a side issue by comparison.

With a bit of luck he will raise enough money to pay his salary.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think Mr Barber's arrival was unfortunately timed, as it was just as the season was getting underway and fans were noticing the price rises.

Budgets being what they are, these issues would have been settled by the club long before Barber arrived on scene. I have no idea whether he's going to be any good or not, but I'll judge him on his actual deeds, not his imagined ones.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
The club have had the best part of a year to plan prices and budgets for this season. Do people think one man is going to come in and 1 or 2 days later change everything by himself?

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
And there's cynical old me thinking I'm yet to be convinced that he isn't just another sharp-suited operator aboard the football gravy train. Still, if that's the only path to success these days...

This.

I have also heard that PB is not particularly keen on the community programme. Bearing in mind we have built our new home, and for that matter our club, based on being a community club this doesn't bode well for the future. I sincerely hope he isn't here with short term objectives based on turning the club into a business but fear this is the case given his track record. I have seen this happen first hand in other businesses and the fallout once the CEO had shaken things up and then moved on was not good.

I know clubs need to be financially stable/profitable but to do this at the expense of the community programme would be a mistake in my opinion. I think AITC do a lot of excellent work to bring in new fans and promote the club, amongst other things, and help to establish a decent fan base for the future.

If you're listening Mr Barber, short term profitability at all costs might make you look good but will damage the long term future of our club. After working so hard to drag ourselves out of the gutter please don't send us back!

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I think Mr Barber's arrival was unfortunately timed, as it was just as the season was getting underway and fans were noticing the price rises.

Budgets being what they are, these issues would have been settled by the club long before Barber arrived on scene. I have no idea whether he's going to be any good or not, but I'll judge him on his actual deeds, not his imagined ones.

I like you.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
The club have had the best part of a year to plan prices and budgets for this season. Do people think one man is going to come in and 1 or 2 days later change everything by himself?

Yes, yes i do.

Not in days maybe, but very quickly.

Guess it depends on what objectives Tony Bloom has set for him. Whatever he does will only be under TB's direction.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Not really, no. Sorry.

Of course it may not be true, but that is the vibe on the inside.

I'm not doubting that your source said as much, just wonder what their motives are. Internal club politics are a nasty business, smoke and mirrors and all that.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
I'm not doubting that your source said as much, just wonder what their motives are. Internal club politics are a nasty business, smoke and mirrors and all that.

Completely agree. People will always be protective of their own interests. He can only be judged on his actions. Change always makes people fidgety. I hope once things settle this will be proven to not be the case.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Completely agree. People will always be protective of their own interests. He can only be judged on his actions. Change always makes people fidgety. I hope once things settle this will be proven to not be the case.

Me too. But even if true, as others have said, he is only part of the management, albeit a very important and influential part. If he's as clever as he appears to be he'll know he'd be a fool to rock the boat over something as emotive as AITC, even if he does have genuine misgivings.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Not really, no. Sorry.

Of course it may not be true, but that is the vibe on the inside.

It's not the vibe on the inside. The community programme is THE reason American Express got on board with the club. For the club to even exist in the lower echelons of the Premier League we will need corporates like Amex as integral partners. Financial fair play will mean no one is going to (or will be able to) spunk millions at any football club long-term without that club having a brand that is multi-layered. That's why Man City are spending gazillions on their community programme. The Albion Board and Paul Barber (who reports to that Board) know that only too well.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The AITC is one of the biggest successes over the last few seasons and is a great way of drumming up business for the albion think it would be suicide to change or lessen its impact. for then record Mr Barber has been brought in to increase revenue to make the premiership more of a reality through off field monies coming in surely that is what we need to be driving most as matchday taking will not cover everything

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
It's not the vibe on the inside. The community programme is THE reason American Express got on board with the club. For the club to even exist in the lower echelons of the Premier League we will need corporates like Amex as integral partners. Financial fair play will mean no one is going to (or will be able to) spunk millions at any football club long-term without that club having a brand that is multi-layered. That's why Man City are spending gazillions on their community programme. The Albion Board and Paul Barber (who reports to that Board) know that only too well.

That does have the ring of truth to it. My employer has recently started working with American Express and they are indeed huge fans of community projects. I know this first hand from their support of our Corporate Responsibility programme. Sounds like mischief-making more than anything.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove

Very reassuring points. Feel better equipped to fight PB's corner.

Note to self - take less notice of idle gossip!

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Could the cost of food at the Amex be expressed in a pie chart?

imgres.jpeg

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

No that isn't what happened.

I know for a FACT that on his first day Paul Barber, without telling anyone, walked round the stadium and changed the prices on every single sign in the kiosks and he was there until 3am doing it - that's how much he wants to fleece us :angry:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cool story.

(but said without the sarcasm).
Could you ask the Spurs historian his version of events about the game with Southampton in 1977/78? Would be interesting to find out his views about the so-called 'fix'.
Good question.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here