Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber to Saudi?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hang on a second, who is supposed to be oppressed here? Condemned to eternal shopping trips you say :eek:
:lolol: I'm a rare female in that I hate going shopping. Online shopping has been a godsend to me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If I was given an opportunity to live and work in Vancouver Canada for a few years I would definiently consider it, even if it was for a simular salary as I have now, but if I was asked to got to Saudi for even for a month for a million pounds I would say no. Obviously being a women who has opinions, plays a part in that dicission.
Well done you.

Plenty aren't and won't though, as evidenced by the large number of those in the football industry making the move. It's not just players snapping up offers of Saudi Riyals, and it's not just men either.

In Saudi Arabian women's football, for example, there's Monika Staab (German, Technical Director for the Saudi Arabian women’s national team) and Rosa Lappi-Seppala (Finnish, coach of the Saudi Arabian women’s national team).

To be clear, I'm neither supporting nor condoning this. I'm just trying not to be too quick to judge - everyone will have their own personal circumstances which they will have undoubtedly weighed up before making what for most is likely to be a very difficult decision.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Well done you.

Plenty aren't and won't though, as evidenced by the large number of those in the football industry making the move. It's not just players snapping up offers of Saudi Riyals, and it's not just men either.

In Saudi Arabian women's football, for example, there's Monika Staab (German, Technical Director for the Saudi Arabian women’s national team) and Rosa Lappi-Seppala (Finnish, coach of the Saudi Arabian women’s national team).

To be clear, I'm neither supporting nor condoning this. I'm just trying not to be too quick to judge - everyone will have their own personal circumstances which they will have undoubtedly weighed up before making what may be a very difficult decision.
I guess there maybe some reassurances given to these women, but reassurances should not be needed. Women are not 2nd class citizens to be owned by men.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well done you.

To be clear, I'm neither supporting nor condoning this. I'm just trying not to be too quick to judge - everyone will have their own personal circumstances which they will have undoubtedly weighed up before making what for most is likely to be a very difficult decision.
Posted elsewhere but the Lewes club technical director (female but was the TD for the whole club) has just been announced as a coach for the women’s team at Gerrard’s club.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I remember watching that at the time and thought it was funny. I saw it as having a pop at antiquated attitudes, not at women.
I think most did. It was certainly intended that way. Although I'm not sure everyone thought that way in the 50s. If my grandma or mother had been on the receiving end the men would have got frazzled.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just because we have over 100 years of traditions in football, does that mean nobody else is allowed to try and start their own tradition? Unlike China / Qatar etc the Saudis do at least have some footballing history- they got to the round of 16 in the World Cup 30 years ago.
You are far more forgiving than me. Throwing money at things does not detract from the fact that they are still murdering bastards. I’d rather that changed before sports washing the most popular sports personally. They had a journalist chopped up and moved in a suitcase not that long ago along with other despicable traditions they continue with.

They get zero support from me buying up sports whilst still being medieval in so many ways regardless of small changes

I get the feeling that you are one of the fans who would actually welcome and be enthusiastic about a Saudi takeover of the Albion. You could have my prime seat at the Amex if that happened :angry:

Last edited:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Just heard on talkSport that Garry Cook - former CEO of Man City - is now the CEO of Birmingham City having just left his position as the CEO of the Saudi Pro league that he only started in January. So despite all the riches in the world, maybe it’s not the most satisfying place to work?

Be interested to know Cook’s reasons for leaving so soon. Barber will be sure to know him so could have an influence?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Planning Permissions.
Here in Brighton you have to consult god knows how many councils to erect a sign that points to the American Express Stadium. Takes 12+ months.
Saudi. I want a sign there please. Done.
I want 10K more seats, done.
I want a hotel there, done.
But would he get bored?
I'm already bored.

:wink:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Be it 10 years or 10 months he was only ever merely passing through.

Like Potters deal at Chelsea, it’s generational money, he’s effectively safeguarding the future of his children and any potential grandchildren, none of us can blame him if they come calling with their cash.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Out of interest, would people rather Saudi Arabia stayed as some medieval backwater that cuts off people's heads and doesn't allow women to drive? Or would they rather they slowly modernised, bringing in more Western influence and gradually bringing in more women's rights and modernising and trying to host global elite level global sporting events?
Obviously the latter. But I’d like to see sincere intent to modernize as opposed to sport washing and PR. Let’s not forget it was only 5 years ago Khashoggi was chopped up by the state and homosexual activity is still illegal. Start to change this first, then I might decide to support their sporting endeavors.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Be it 10 years or 10 months he was only ever merely passing through.

Like Potters deal at Chelsea, it’s generational money, he’s effectively safeguarding the future of his children and any potential grandchildren, none of us can blame him if they come calling with their cash.
Yes. But i'm not sure why this thread is still speculating on his motives for taking a role like this when he's come out and clearly denied it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Only talksport saying he's rejected so far !
But as White would say he's a friend of the show and my great friend. So Mr Barber what about this offer, listen folks, he has been offered yes offered a huge deal to go. Well Paul, are you going?

No.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I guess there maybe some reassurances given to these women, but reassurances should not be needed. Women are not 2nd class citizens to be owned by men.
Of all the sources who would report on Paul Barber news I would trust them first as Barber seems to have Jim White on speed dial
And Alex Crook, for Alex to say simply “Paul Barber has told me, no negotiations, no deal I’m staying at Brighton “ is good enough for me !

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Of all the sources who would report on Paul Barber news I would trust them first as Barber seems to have Jim White on speed dial
And Alex Crook, for Alex to say simply “Paul Barber has told me, no negotiations, no deal I’m staying at Brighton “ is good enough for me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here