Paul Barber responds on Albion managerial situation

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Well the posts today have kept me interested and amused. Some in fact have made me feel reasonably educated, and quite surprisingly almost bright.
I wonder sometimes how people who you might imagine had a lot of things in common, actually don't! Though we all no doubt support the club through thick 'n' thin, well apart from the couple of tossers who aren't renewing their ST because they don't know who the managers going to be FFS. Why do so many supporters seem to love the club whilst declaring war on the board.
Is it not even slightly possible that everything Paul Barber said is in fact true, and there is no hiding anything. As enjoyably mysterious as all the alternatives are I personally think he is an honest and upstanding guy. He's as far fetched from any "Delboy" than most in the footy world. I'm not that bothered that Oscar has left simply for me his brand of soccer was not a winning one. But I'd be mortified if PB jacked it in, because in my eyes and in the now corporate world of soccer he's probably the best there is.
And if I have any doubts about what comes out of the Amex it's only that I think someone there needs to liaising with the media or forums on a much more frequent basis. This as much to keep us uninformed fans from silly second guessing as to protect their credibility when some accuse them of chicanery. :smile:

Great post sir

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Do you understand the difference between the words scrutinise and worry? Or perhaps you could point out where I said Bloom doesn't have the club's interests at heart, because I don't see it. Maybe before you patronise me you might try actually reading what I wrote. It sort of undermines your air of smug condescension when you miss my point quite so spectacularly.

OK, fair enough.

I just don't get why anyone would doubt the board at all - my reply to you was an amalgamated response to a variety of negative, unappreciative and small minded posts that have been plastered all over this site today.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Pathetic blind faith. Like a child and a big bright light. Who's the nutter? Maybe the club is in safe hands maybe it isn't. The fact is you haven't got a f*cking clue anymore than the rest if us but because the stadiums nice that'll do......answer me these questions:

How much is Bloom worth?

How much of his personal investment do we have to pay back?

Why did we employ an obscene amount of staff for the first year at the AMEX only to make a large percentage of them redundant 12 months later?

How is the seemingly 'cheap' 1901 and corporate packages pricing restructure going to affect things when those come to an end and need renewing?

How much financial investment have we actually had from Nike and AMEX and are those deals results dependant?

What is our actual day to day operating loss/profit versus takings?

Oh and......

What is Tony Blooms actual job?! And why can you find no record of his activities anywhere? (Other than a professional gambling profile which lists his career winnings to date at just over £1.2m.....)

He might be polluted with cash. He might the most savvy business man in the country. He might just be intensely private. Or this could all go horribly wrong because there isn't actually any more money.

You know as much as anyone else so blind faith is a dangerous thing. But you carry on pal. The rest of us are all 'nutters'

This is my favourite nut job from today!

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
OK, fair enough.

I just don't get why anyone would doubt the board at all - my reply to you was an amalgamated response to a variety of negative, unappreciative and small minded posts that have been plastered all over this site today.

Fair enough. Like midges, the idiots on NSC are annoying, but when things cool down they'll disappear again. My point was that a healthy scrutiny, and criticism where warranted, are important in keeping the club 'honest', no matter how good the beer & pies are or how comfy the seats are. The problem is that a difficult time like this brings all the loudest morons crawling out from under their rocks who claim they speak for everyone, and reasoned scrutiny is shouted over by these angry simpletons. Best to take a break from NSC at times like this if it gets to you - I certainly try to.

SammyTheSeagull

Jun 17, 2013
Who are you! I've watched brighton for years! I was just adding some speculation! Just a complete joke! Think it would be unfair to let calde go needs to be given a new contract or a place on the coaching staff when he gets his qualifications!
I think we should bring in Sherwood and he should get rid of players like Hoskins and Kemj and others and start a fresh with a good budget next season

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
OK, fair enough - so preposterous events like Nathan Jones being made head of catering might actually prompt some mild inquisitiveness but minor stuff like two good managers shipping out within a year doesn't. Got it.

I don't actually see that treating the fanbase like grown adults would be prompting any "public dispute" with Oscar or any such overdramatic guff. I can't believe there's no middle ground between being professional and dignified, but also not glossing over the tricky stuff. Unless of course, there really is a problem behind the scenes that they're trying to hide.

So why should the club think that fans might merit an explanation when some people are so determined not even to ask why the managers keep leaving?

I'll give you credit, you're good. Completely ignore pretty much everything I say and try to take the moral high ground. Well played.

I covered pretty much everything you said but will go back if you want. If you want an example, if the club gave the manager job to Nathan Jones, I would obviously question what they were doing. Happy with that? To turn it round, can you tell me how it would help the club to come out and have a public dispute with Oscar and argue with his version of events? Would it help us get a new manager?

Personally, I'm going to see what happens in terms of a new manager before I judge. I rated Oscar but if we end up with Steve Clarke, for example, I'll be pretty happy.

As for Tony Bloom, I doubt he cares what I think but it was hardly the point of my post. What has really annoyed me and prompted me to post today is not your views but how dismissive you and others are of anyone who disagrees. You only have to look at your posts on this thread to see my point.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Who are you! I've watched brighton for years! I was just adding some speculation! Just a complete joke! Think it would be unfair to let calde go needs to be given a new contract or a place on the coaching staff when he gets his qualifications!
I think we should bring in Sherwood and he should get rid of players like Hoskins and Kemj and others and start a fresh with a good budget next season

anyone?

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Shirley we need more time to panic properly.

We usually have at least four days of panic. This completely removes the need for a number of irrational and irrelevant posts with large doses of fundamentalism, moaning and wild speculation. Unbelievable.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Yep Garcia was sold to the fans as the future of the club and playing a major role in setting up a Barcelona style academy over the next three years. They sold us a bright future and we paid good money to help with that dream, but after only six months and no commitment to quality signings it was unofficially over.

We bought the tin, but we found that inside wasn’t exactly what was said on it.

I can't believe that we were allowed to dream about next season and the future under Oscar when it was really over four months ago. 25,000 + fans living on false hope and being misled doesn't sit right with me to be honest.

And season tickets sold selling that dream as well. Now we start all over again

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
The sheep: "We don't need to be told anything"

Barber statement: "You don't need to be told anything"

Sheep: "There, we said so. He said we don't need to be told anything. We are happy like a room without a roof"

:wozza::wozza:

Not sure what you expect mate?

"We thought oscar was rubbish and played shite football so didnt give him any money and we couldnt beleive our luck when he resigned". Or "sorry everyone oscar is correct we are skint have no money due to ffp and running costs of the amex we will fill the team with kids and loanees and are hoping to avoid relegation"

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
This is my favourite nut job from today!

You're entertainment you are. All keyboard bravery with a fanta and a milky bar.

Get some sleep. It's exam season

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I have a hunch TB is mightily pissed of about people hinting that the playing budget investment is not enough etc...

I don't think the budget has been an issue this season, the problem has been not using it. Coming up to the Championship I think we spent £3.5m on Buckley and CMS, last season we spent £2m for Ulloa, but this year we spent around £450k on Stephens.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
What we are going through is nothing new and even the Albion have been here before and I'm not talking about Poyet either.

I'm sure TB has the best interest of the club at heart but you would have to be pretty stupid to think that this might never change and that even TB might at some point want out.

Chairmen always seem to be heroes when they take over and you can list a few that did well at clubs such as Blackburn and Jack Walker and Matthew Harding & Chelsea, both were fans that ploughed personal fortunes into the clubs.

On the other hand lifelong fans like Mike Ashley at Newcastle and even Peter Coates at Stoke have not always been fans favourites despite again putting in vast sums to try to get success.

Walker stayed right till his end but look at Blackburn now and Harding's family wanted out once he had gone and whilst chelsea now have an even richer owner will he become bored and sell up.

Rumour is Ashley will sell and make a profit and Coates since the success of Bet 365 has put more money in the last 5 years that he did in the previous 15!

As I said yesterday Randy Learner has blown £300M on vIlla and now wants out and I can see the same thing happening at Hull and Cardiff. How safe are Man U and Man City - Liverpool and Arsenal who all have foreign owners whose motives seem to be glory or Money rather than blind faith and love.

What I am saying is that things change and that ALL chairmen may want out at some point and if in Blooms case its because he doesn't want to allow a manager to blow some or all of his accumulated wealth you would have to respect that.

I'm pretty certain that the Managers and coaches Bloom employs HAVE to work to his budgets, maybe Bloom only came to that conclusion during Poyets reign but its obvious there are financial constraints, players lists and wage ceilings - its his train set at the moment.

I can't believe that OG didn't know this when he came as Poyet had said it on his way out but on the other hand the club must know that managers like Poyet, OG and the high calibre managers they allude are applying for the job will want a massive budget to work from so I'm not sure whom is misleading whom.

How much did Malky spend at Cardiff, Harry at everywhere he's been, Pardew? Hughton at Norwich and all three Managers at Fulham. You can bet the amount they spent getting up was in proportion to what they spent once up and whilst people can shout Burnley and Palace didn't spend much I bet the amount put considerable stress on the clubs till they got up.

I think a good manager will use a mix of money, coaching and a good eye for talent and bargains and I'm not sure Poyet or OG had all those qualities. I would add that perhaps the club should have got rid of Gus as soon as they fell out and similarly if as Bozza says they were unhappy with OG in January perhaps they should have acted then too?

Is it money or coaching that gain promotion? Is it the manager or the wage budget? Experienced players or playing 2 up front and going for every win? And don't say that its FFP holding us back because if you have the right manager and the right players the reward of £60M will stop any FFP problems.

I'm not even sure that FFP will even be relevant if enough clubs fail the tests.

And enough gripes about parachute payments please, I've not seen any real evidence yet that they make a real difference.

As well as we need a new manager, we now need a goal keeper, a new back four, another midfielder, winger and a new striker and next season there will be three ex prem clubs three failed playoff clubs and five "sleeping Giants" who all want promotion fast.

Get things wrong this time and it will be the boards fault. It might be the norm now to change managers every season but to fail the way we have every Jan is more than unlucky

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
OK, fair enough - so preposterous events like Nathan Jones being made head of catering might actually prompt some mild inquisitiveness but minor stuff like two good managers shipping out within a year doesn't. Got it

Thanks. You've made my point for me. Don't know why I bothered trying to have a sensible discussion. I answered your question and I get a pathetic response like this.

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013

Is it you Sammy

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
What we are going through is nothing new and even the Albion have been here before and I'm not talking about Poyet either.

I'm sure TB has the best interest of the club at heart but you would have to be pretty stupid to think that this might never change and that even TB might at some point want out.

Chairmen always seem to be heroes when they take over and you can list a few that did well at clubs such as Blackburn and Jack Walker and Matthew Harding & Chelsea, both were fans that ploughed personal fortunes into the clubs.

On the other hand lifelong fans like Mike Ashley at Newcastle and even Peter Coates at Stoke have not always been fans favourites despite again putting in vast sums to try to get success.

Walker stayed right till his end but look at Blackburn now and Harding's family wanted out once he had gone and whilst chelsea now have an even richer owner will he become bored and sell up.

Rumour is Ashley will sell and make a profit and Coates since the success of Bet 365 has put more money in the last 5 years that he did in the previous 15!

As I said yesterday Randy Learner has blown £300M on vIlla and now wants out and I can see the same thing happening at Hull and Cardiff. How safe are Man U and Man City - Liverpool and Arsenal who all have foreign owners whose motives seem to be glory or Money rather than blind faith and love.

What I am saying is that things change and that ALL chairmen may want out at some point and if in Blooms case its because he doesn't want to allow a manager to blow some or all of his accumulated wealth you would have to respect that.

I'm pretty certain that the Managers and coaches Bloom employs HAVE to work to his budgets, maybe Bloom only came to that conclusion during Poyets reign but its obvious there are financial constraints, players lists and wage ceilings - its his train set at the moment.

I can't believe that OG didn't know this when he came as Poyet had said it on his way out but on the other hand the club must know that managers like Poyet, OG and the high calibre managers they allude are applying for the job will want a massive budget to work from so I'm not sure whom is misleading whom.

How much did Malky spend at Cardiff, Harry at everywhere he's been, Pardew? Hughton at Norwich and all three Managers at Fulham. You can bet the amount they spent getting up was in proportion to what they spent once up and whilst people can shout Burnley and Palace didn't spend much I bet the amount put considerable stress on the clubs till they got up.

I think a good manager will use a mix of money, coaching and a good eye for talent and bargains and I'm not sure Poyet or OG had all those qualities. I would add that perhaps the club should have got rid of Gus as soon as they fell out and similarly if as Bozza says they were unhappy with OG in January perhaps they should have acted then too?

Is it money or coaching that gain promotion? Is it the manager or the wage budget? Experienced players or playing 2 up front and going for every win? And don't say that its FFP holding us back because if you have the right manager and the right players the reward of £60M will stop any FFP problems.

I'm not even sure that FFP will even be relevant if enough clubs fail the tests.

And enough gripes about parachute payments please, I've not seen any real evidence yet that they make a real difference.

As well as we need a new manager, we now need a goal keeper, a new back four, another midfielder, winger and a new striker and next season there will be three ex prem clubs three failed playoff clubs and five "sleeping Giants" who all want promotion fast.

Get things wrong this time and it will be the boards fault. It might be the norm now to change managers every season but to fail the way we have every Jan is more than unlucky

Great post sir

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Are you joking? He's earned his stripes with me. He can do and say whatever he wants and I'll back him, certainly before any player/manager/coach!
Look down the football pyramid and choose someone else! We're in safe hands you nutter!

Agreed but no-one is beyond reproach otherwise it is more of a dictatorship

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports