[Albion] Paul Barber OBE

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
There are hundreds of people recognised every time. Isn't that just the problem? Time was when a knighthood, or an OBE or whatever was a big deal - now, just one of the crowd.
Maybe, but to everyone who IS honoured (presumably) it's a big deal. I don't see the amount of these gongs given out devaluing them because they are all so personal to the recipient.

theboybilly

There are hundreds of people recognised every time. Isn't that just the problem? Time was when a knighthood, or an OBE or whatever was a big deal - now, just one of the crowd.
Time was when a knighthood or an OBE was indeed a big deal but apart from a, select few the awards never made the papers. The Internet has brought so much more information on the list (but still concentrates on celebrity)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Time was when a knighthood or an OBE was indeed a big deal but apart from a, select few the awards never made the papers. The Internet has brought so much more information on the list (but still concentrates on celebrity)
?? Pre internet - the papers, some of them at least - used to publish full lists of honours. Running to several dense pages…as well as coverage of the sports, musicians, politicians, local heroes etc.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
He's being honoured for his services to football. It's not just for his services to our club. His involvement with every aspect of the 'business' deserves recognition

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I see that it hasn’t taken long for the ‘bottle top brigade’ to spew their predicatable negative bile.
I think the bottle top thing is complete bollox, but I don’t complain, there are ways to get around it 🤫

Well done PB for your award.

Last edited:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
He only got an OBE instead of a Knighthood because of the away ticket checks, but in all seriousness it’s very impressive and he does a great job.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Congratulation to Paul for his gong. He is a brilliant Chief Exec, and a force for good in football.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Congrats Paul, worthy award for a fine footballing figure.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Many congratulations to Paul Barber O.B.E.

Things are beginning to happen around the club - recognition from unexpected quarters, a World Cup winner, a host of internationals at the WC, constant media speculation surrounding our best players.

The future looks exciting. I would love to see a glimpse of our next five year plan.
After all, we are always a work in progress, and the current success is just a snapshot in time.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Congratulation to PB for his award, we are lucky to have such a brilliant Deputy Chairman and chief executive, TB and PB work so well together, now F.O. Chelsea

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Struggle with this. Highly paid in an industry that is all about money, money,money. Honours should be given to the unsung heroes - charity workers, carers, vaccine innovators etc, not celebs, actors, politicians or those that work in the most lucrative and sometimes most morally dubious industries
I struggle with the whole honours system altogether. That said, while we’ve got one, he deserves a gong under the current set up.

It’s all so arbitrary though. How is one person deemed good enough, but the next isn’t? I try not to pay it too much attention, but that’s hard for people more closely affected. I’m perplexed at how the powers that be selected 4 lionesses for honours but left the rest out. It’s all weird.

Still, well done PB. Congratulations.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s a brave Royal who says “so what do you do?” when he picks up his gong. 12 hours later…

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports