Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parking in Coldean - residents not happy.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
DId you know its not illegal to park across someones drive way if there is no car there. It's only a towable offensive if you are causing an obstruction... ie someone can't get out of the drive.

I only just learnt that!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
DId you know its not illegal to park across someones drive way if there is no car there. It's only a towable offensive if you are causing an obstruction... ie someone can't get out of the drive.

I only just learnt that!

Highway code point 217 says;

217: DO NOT park your vehicle or trailer on the road where it would endanger, inconvenience or obstruct pedestrians or other road users. For example, do not stop

- near a school entrance
- anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
- at or near a bus stop or taxi rank
- on the approach to a level crossing
- opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space
- near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
- opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle
- where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane
- where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users
- in front of an entrance to a property
- on a bend.

so it would seem that parking in front of an entrance whether a car is there or not would be in breach of the highway code

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010

I only just learnt that!

Was it a fat bloke called Dave told you that in the pub last night? It's always fat blokes called Dave that spout this rubbish. He told me that a policeman can't arrest you if he doesn't have his hat on. Fat Dave - full of pies and shit.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Was it a fat bloke called Dave told you that in the pub last night? It's always fat blokes called Dave that spout this rubbish. He told me that a policeman can't arrest you if he doesn't have his hat on. Fat Dave - full of pies and shit.
No a copper told me it. If it happens to you, try and get the car moved (it hasn't happened to me by the way). If a cars on the driveway you are stopping the person from moving thats an obstruction, if theres no car there then your not. I'm sure we have a traffic cop on here to set it right, but its doesn't matter in this case, as if anyone can find a parking spot on Park Road or the bottom of Rushlake Road after 6pm, then they'll be one of the first!!

I think the coppers hat thing is a mix up with traffic wardens. Coppers can nick you how they want, but traffic wardens have to be in full uniform to issue a ticket, so thats why you always see them putting their hats on when they issue a ticket..... although no doubt someone will correct me on that as well.

Thinking with the driveway issue, is you don't own the road, or the pavement, or the actual ramp outside your borders (even if you built it), so if your not blocked in, there is nothing they can do. Going by what was highlighted, could be taken as dont park in front of someones front gate. But I'm sure a traffic cop will be along to check the threads soon.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
The interpretation is that by blocking an empty driveway you could also be stopping a person from entering their property which is in breach of the highway code. Yes it is a code and so is not punishable by a ticket but can be punishable by having your car towed away to allow the person to gain access to their driveway.

I say this as a friend returned from holiday to find a car blocking his drive. He tried the neighbours and got no response so he raised it with a passing policeman who advised him to wait an hour or so and try the neighbours again and if he got no luck then they would commence tracing the owner/removal of the car at the earliest convenience. Luckily his neighbours returned and the car belonged to one of their friends who had been told it was okay to park there as he was away on hols!

Now the policeman could have got this wrong - but I doubt it

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
The interpretation is that by blocking an empty driveway you could also be stopping a person from entering their property which is in breach of the highway code. Yes it is a code and so is not punishable by a ticket but can be punishable by having your car towed away to allow the person to gain access to their driveway.

I say this as a friend returned from holiday to find a car blocking his drive. He tried the neighbours and got no response so he raised it with a passing policeman who advised him to wait an hour or so and try the neighbours again and if he got no luck then they would commence tracing the owner/removal of the car at the earliest convenience. Luckily his neighbours returned and the car belonged to one of their friends who had been told it was okay to park there as he was away on hols!

Now the policeman could have got this wrong - but I doubt it

Parking Near Private Driveway: What is the Law? - Safer Motoring

or

Let me google that for you

:thumbsup:

Seems to be a huge difference of opinion, but the Safer Motoring web site, would suggest you are incorrect.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005

Got to say that you cannot blame people trying to park closer to the ground. I did the Park and Ride from Mill Lane, and although I was there at 6:35, I still missed kick off. We waited a long time for the bus to arrive, and then it was stuck in traffic on the A27, so it needs to be looked at. I know it was the first evening game, and an 'unknown' situation, but lets hope its improved on.
On a positive side, we were back to the car in good time, and got out of the place very quickly.
That's the point!

This discussion can't be just about what should or should not be "allowed" in Coldean. The issue is how are fans going to get to and from matches. A good proportion are travelling by car. Ideally, park & ride would serve them well. But if the park & ride sites are a let-down (because they fill up too soon, or the bus journey is a nightmare, in one or both directions), then people are going to look for alternative parking arrangements.

It would be helpful if the Club could find more P&R facilities, or dedicated car parking spaces somewhere that isn't going to inconvenience local residents. The last I heard was that they were still looking - but at least they are looking. If this is "nipping the problem in the bud", then ... good. If "nipping the problem in the bud" is making things worse for supporters, then ... bad.

It's early days yet, and a good number of supporters haven't yet worked out what the convenient options are. Everyone - supporters and local residents - needs to show a bit of patience and goodwill.

I have just walked down Rushlake road and counted SEVEN cars parked on grass verge, four half on pavement, and two cars covering driveways.
The interesting thing is that, at the Public Inquiry, the Club produced photographs of cars parked on grass verges in Hangleton as evidence that Toads Hole Valley would be unacceptable as a stadium site.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Well I did say it wasn't illegal. However how many times have you heard announcements at sporting events about cars being removed?

Err, yes so did I so why bother replying to the post? I take that as a back down then.

What has announcement at sporting events got to do with Coldean? Not many to answer your question, but when you do its no doubt because some moron is blocking emerency vehicles access, rather than someone has parked to close to Mrs Smyths gate.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
That's the point!

This discussion can't be just about what should or should not be "allowed" in Coldean. The issue is how are fans going to get to and from matches. A good proportion are travelling by car. Ideally, park & ride would serve them well. But if the park & ride sites are a let-down (because they fill up too soon, or the bus journey is a nightmare, in one or both directions), then people are going to look for alternative parking arrangements.

It would be helpful if the Club could find more P&R facilities, or dedicated car parking spaces somewhere that isn't going to inconvenience local residents. The last I heard was that they were still looking - but at least they are looking. If this is "nipping the problem in the bud", then ... good. If "nipping the problem in the bud" is making things worse for supporters, then ... bad.

It's early days yet, and a good number of supporters haven't yet worked out what the convenient options are. Everyone - supporters and local residents - needs to show a bit of patience and goodwill.
I don't use park and ride, but if thats the case I'd think everyone would agree to that.

However as this post is about Coldean, I will say again, which has back up by many, parking in Park Road and Rushlake Road (bottom end) is a nightmare 7 days a week, so to have any mention of the club in relation to this, is just wrong, and that story should be set straight, and that is what I and many other have done here.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
The question would be, how much worse is it on match days?
Do you know Coldean? I doubt if you do, as you would have backed out of this long before. Park Road cannot be worse on match days, as its packed solid 7 days a week. Drive up it in the evenings and give it a go. Have a look around at the grass verges at the lower end of Coldean. It can't be much worse on match days, as theres no space on other days. Or are people moaning because someone is parking illegally on the grass verge, before they get a chance to park illegally there?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here