Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Parking for Home matches

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I haven't seen anything from the club suggesting where the spare / additional park and ride capacity is for those displaced from the Sussex Uni season ticket parking, and who have been unable to get one of the limited spaces in the Bridge.

Any idea which P&R have space, shortest queues etc... ??

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Ah, thanks - interesting. Like I say, I thought I read something on here about planning permission being applied for but sounds like I was wrong on that.

Falmer Parish Council mentioned it in their minutes from Jan 2020:

Screenshot 2021-08-17 at 13.08.53.png

Presumably Mr Bennet is hoping to lease the 200 underground parking spaces to the club whilst also making money letting accommodation to students too.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ah, thanks - interesting. Like I say, I thought I read something on here about planning permission being applied for but sounds like I was wrong on that.

You're not going mad.

The landowner revealed to a member of Falmer Parish Council that he's seeking planning permission for student housing, it's in their minuted notes.

It won't show on planning portals until he and his architect/planning consultants have submitted a huge (and costly) application package. He may well be working with a third party due to the cost.

Aside from that, he may've demanded a ridiculously high rent from the club for 2021/22, believing he had a captive audience. Bloom wouldn't ended the arrangement simply on a whim.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Mill Road is the most popular as easiest to get to from A27 and A23 and has 450 spaces. Typically full by about 90 minutes before kick off, likely to be 2 hours before kick off for these first few matches back.

Racecourse car park usually has capacity when Mill Road is full and has 700 spaces.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Mill Road is the most popular as easiest to get to from A27 and A23 and has 450 spaces. Typically full by about 90 minutes before kick off, likely to be 2 hours before kick off for these first few matches back.

Racecourse car park usually has capacity when Mill Road is full and has 700 spaces.

Coming from the west on the A27, the racecourse is not great, but it sounds like Mill Road is already full. Are there no plans for additional P&R capacity?

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
You're not going mad.

The landowner revealed to a member of Falmer Parish Council that he's seeking planning permission for student housing, it's in their minuted notes.

It won't show on planning portals until he and his architect/planning consultants have submitted a huge (and costly) application package. He may well be working with a third party due to the cost.

Aside from that, he may've demanded a ridiculously high rent from the club for 2021/22, believing he had a captive audience. Bloom wouldn't ended the arrangement simply on a whim.

Wow, this seems like a risky strategy for 2 reasons.

i) Tiny chance of obtaining planning permission IMO
ii) The club now have the opportunity to demonstrate that they can function without the need for this land

Tony Bloom will have the upper hand if both come to pass.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Coming from the west on the A27, the racecourse is not great, but it sounds like Mill Road is already full. Are there no plans for additional P&R capacity?

Not that I'm aware of, wished they'd do the Portslade Sainsbury's as a P&R again as that was very handy for me.

Previously there was Park & Ride from Brighton Uni site in Moulescomb but that site has huge building works going on currently. So not only is Bennet's field not available, we're a P&R site down!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I imagine the club are going to need to find an alternative solution to BF and I guess are working on one given this issue appears to have come out the blue.

The expansion plan approvals have always had a transport strategy review and the one submitted for our growth to 30,750 had the following’

‘Our review of the Club’s expansion plans confirms that the seating capacity would increase by 36% and parking by 34%, so that the availability of parking supply per visitor would stay broadly the same. The current ratio of parking is 1 space per 11.16 supporters, the proposed ratio is 1 space per 11.37’

Losing Bennett’s field with approx 500 spaces will impact those ratios and I am sure we will see some developments over the course of the season to add parking capacity

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

ii) The club now have the opportunity to demonstrate that they can function without the need for this land

Surely point ii) could work against us (re planning permission)

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I’m not sure why people are being so critical of the club over this issue. Using the word ‘shambles’ is OTT. Our stadium was given planning permission on the basis of sustainable travel and ANY parking provided is an exception.

The original planning application permitted a maximum allowed parking limit of 2,200 cars IIRC.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Definitely a risk.

Bennet would've been emboldened by the stadium being built, his land is simply the next extension eastwards of the conurbation, probably finishing for good at the Falmer Road.

I've seen how this works. An outline planning application may cost in the low £100k's, it is very expensive now. But there are a large array of facilitators and developers who approach landowners, willing to do the whole thing. The cost to Bennet would be that he makes less of the final windfall. If it comes off, can you imagine the multi £m sum that would come his way, on blocks of private student accomodation being built.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Definitely a risk.

Bennet would've been emboldened by the stadium being built, his land is simply the next extension eastwards of the conurbation, probably finishing for good at the Falmer Road.

I've seen how this works. An outline planning application may cost in the low £100k's, it is very expensive now. But there are a large array of facilitators and developers who approach landowners, willing to do the whole thing. The cost to Bennet would be that he makes less of the final windfall. If it comes off, can you imagine the multi £m sum that would come his way, on blocks of private student accomodation being built.

I cant see it happening.
Its okay having 200 undergound parking spaces, but most students are relient on trains or buses. The only foot access to the University or Falmer station would be via land owned by the club, I cant see there being much goodwill given to Bennett by the club if he shafted the club.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I’m reliably informed that the club are still working the issue and are holding out the hope (not expectation) that access to BF will be regained at some point, possibly during this calendar year.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I haven't seen anything from the club suggesting where the spare / additional park and ride capacity is for those displaced from the Sussex Uni season ticket parking, and who have been unable to get one of the limited spaces in the Bridge.

I could answer, but having to use it myself now when I'd rather not, I'd rather not make it harder for myself:albion2:

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Definitely a risk.

The hotel refusal should be a red flag to him regarding development on that side of the stadium. If he pulls it off he's quids in, but it's a long shot.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

I could answer, but having to use it myself now when I'd rather not, I'd rather not make it harder for myself:albion2:

Frankly, staggered by this response. I might be wrong but it feels like the first time I've ever seen a request for advice on NSC and someone has essentially responded, "I could tell you, but I won't as it might make my life a bit more difficult."

****ing sad when you think about it really.

I could say I hope your car won't start after the game and nobody tries to help you. But I won't because I'd like to think that people would help.

EDIT:
If this was just a joke and I've been wooshed, then of course I apologise unreservedly for missing the joke and being grumpy.

Last edited:

Brighton Rocker

Jul 16, 2011
TN 21
That’s very altruistic of you to propose a solution that would be great for you.

At a time of reduced parking capacity, I would have thought that a solution that caters for those with genuine mobility issues may be a little more fair.

My suggestion was tongue in cheek. I think parking is still available for people with mobility issues at the Uni (car park 5 perhaps). One of my party of four has a disability and has a wristband to prove it.
Any priority system would be more fair than first come first served at 9am on a Tuesday when many are at work.
I am lucky enough to be just about fit enough to sprint to The Bridge on the final whistle to avoid getting stuck in the car park for ages although could do with an oxygen mask when I get there.
Will be trying out the trains when can’t get a parking ticket but, recent experience of trains is that few respect distancing or ware face masks.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
My suggestion was tongue in cheek. I think parking is still available for people with mobility issues at the Uni (car park 5 perhaps). One of my party of four has a disability and has a wristband to prove it.
Any priority system would be more fair than first come first served at 9am on a Tuesday when many are at work.
I am lucky enough to be just about fit enough to sprint to The Bridge on the final whistle to avoid getting stuck in the car park for ages although could do with an oxygen mask when I get there.
Will be trying out the trains when can’t get a parking ticket but, recent experience of trains is that few respect distancing or ware face masks.

Fair enough. In that case I apologise for that. Ignore me - I'm just in an awkward mood today :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here