Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Parking for Home matches

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I’m not sure why people are being so critical of the club over this issue. Using the word ‘shambles’ is OTT. Our stadium was given planning permission on the basis of sustainable travel and ANY parking provided is an exception. Clearly demand for parking has increased due to Covid but the club can’t simply magic capacity that doesn’t exist. If Bennett’s Field is no longer available then it is what it is. I speak as a long distance fan who needs parking but that’s my problem not the club’s.

The shambles is in the communication. Perhaps it's not a great look if the only way to find out spaces are on sale is on a fans forum. The situation itself is not the club's fault although I'm surprised the club weren't more prepared for the eventuality of the owner triggering a break clause.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’m not sure why people are being so critical of the club over this issue. Using the word ‘shambles’ is OTT. Our stadium was given planning permission on the basis of sustainable travel and ANY parking provided is an exception. Clearly demand for parking has increased due to Covid but the club can’t simply magic capacity that doesn’t exist. If Bennett’s Field is no longer available then it is what it is. I speak as a long distance fan who needs parking but that’s my problem not the club’s.

I’d agree that shambles is OTT ..however could communication be better?

Dates when tickets will become available
Why Uni spaces aren’t available

Might help?

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Quite a bit of self entitlement on here

I don't believe self entitlement comes into it if fans are used to having basically THREE large parking facilities for over ten years, then they suddenly find out without much communication they've only got a choice of ONE, and sometimes there is NONE as evident in the case for the Leicester game...and now the Arsenal game too.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Know a few fans that have decided to go to Seagulls Travel coaches for this season, but had never used them before, solely because of the parking situation. Where they live means public transport isn't a realistic option for them.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Regarding Sussex University parking, I believe that it is now used by those who have parking as part of their contract when they bought multiple Platinum or Gold season tickets. They used to park in Bennett's Field, but now that is no longer available they get Sussex Uni parking instead.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Park and ride? Maybe the club could expand this? Walking distance from car to stadium seat would be no more (maybe less) than walking from the Bridge/Uni car parks. Just a thought.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Is it right that you dont give a reg number now when booking? Also that its mobile fulfilment? Seems odd that you wouldnt have a print at home and display in window option?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Could be wrong but as I understand it the owner of BF has obtained planning permission to commercially develop this piece of land. For him that would make far more financial sense than renting it for car-parking 20-odd times a season. If this is the case, I'm not sure how this is bizarre, unacceptable or frankly the club's fault.

Shirley the club will oppose that?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I’m in the Bridge for the Everton game but despite the expected post match issue looks like I will be researching the Mill Road park and ride or even the train !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Is it right that you dont give a reg number now when booking? Also that its mobile fulfilment? Seems odd that you wouldnt have a print at home and display in window option?

It is right. There is no print at home option. Also no reg number required which is handy as I can use a different car from time to time depending on numbers traveling.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Could be wrong but as I understand it the owner of BF has obtained planning permission to commercially develop this piece of land. For him that would make far more financial sense than renting it for car-parking 20-odd times a season. If this is the case, I'm not sure how this is bizarre, unacceptable or frankly the club's fault.

There are no such planning applications on either the B&H or Lewes council planning portals that I could find. I think the owner would find it extraordinarily difficult to obtain planning permission for any development on that site.

They were onto a lucrative income stream with the car park. It's difficult to come to any conclusion other than they are trying to squeeze the club for yet more money. I am glad the club seem to be standing firm on this and want to demonstrate they can function without use of that car park. I think the rent the club were paying would be better used towards other transport improvements.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
There are no such planning applications on either the B&H or Lewes council planning portals that I could find. I think the owner would find it extraordinarily difficult to obtain planning permission for any development on that site.

They were onto a lucrative income stream with the car park. It's difficult to come to any conclusion other than they are trying to squeeze the club for yet more money. I am glad the club seem to be standing firm on this and want to demonstrate they can function without use of that car park. I think the rent the club were paying would be better used towards other transport improvements.

Ah, thanks - interesting. Like I say, I thought I read something on here about planning permission being applied for but sounds like I was wrong on that.

Brighton Rocker

Jul 16, 2011
TN 21
The Club did announce that car park tickets would go on sale as for the match ticket on sale dates but, this morning forgot to put the tickets on sale at 9am until I contacted Jenny Gower I expect.
The Club is understaffed and dealing with a lot of queries regarding ticketless entry etc. But there would be a lot less queries if they communicated properly.
Have suggested the Club priorities parking for people who car share and perhaps drive electric cars which would be great for me but, that is too difficult to organise.
I too don’t understand why shifting a few hundred of the posh entitled people from Bennetts to the Uni means there is no parking left at uni for the plebs. Why don’t the Club communicate the full story?
Not really a major issue compared with the pandemic but frustrating.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The Club did announce that car park tickets would go on sale as for the match ticket on sale dates but, this morning forgot to put the tickets on sale at 9am until I contacted Jenny Gower I expect.
The Club is understaffed and dealing with a lot of queries regarding ticketless entry etc. But there would be a lot less queries if they communicated properly.
Have suggested the Club priorities parking for people who car share and perhaps drive electric cars which would be great for me but, that is too difficult to organise.
I too don’t understand why shifting a few hundred of the posh entitled people from Bennetts to the Uni means there is no parking left at uni for the plebs. Why don’t the Club communicate the full story?
Not really a major issue compared with the pandemic but frustrating.

That’s very altruistic of you to propose a solution that would be great for you.

At a time of reduced parking capacity, I would have thought that a solution that caters for those with genuine mobility issues may be a little more fair.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Ah, thanks - interesting. Like I say, I thought I read something on here about planning permission being applied for but sounds like I was wrong on that.

It would probably suit the land owner for the club to think that this was going to happen, but I just don't think it's credible. I could have just missed the planning application, but I think that there'd have been some media coverage of this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here