Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Panic Selling

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The rebound completely fizzled out.........I am not a trader so I am sitting on my hands as I reckon this has further to fall. Not even drip feeding in yet.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Brilliant - dirt cheap petrol just at a time when you can't go anywhere or see anything.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Too early for me to go in, think can go either way and in a big way. Supply side shock is difficult to manage easily

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
OMG.:ohmy:
I don't quite know how to take your post, Harry. Knowing you, I hope it is a partial wind up, tongue in cheek jobby, although the shrug worried me a bit.
You couldn't possibly be having a dig at the likes of us who mentioned stockmarket falls and how this puts a serious dent in our pension funds and other investments, could you?..........and you with your secure pension and all that!
. Us saps who rely on the markets for our pension are entitled to be a wee bit concerned, and are equally entitled to try and take appropriate action to make up the falls as the opportunity arises and to protect our hard earned wonga.I trust pension fund managers, responsible for the pensions of millions of 'ordinary folk' across the country are looking to do the same thing for their clients.If they are not, they are not doing their job properly!
But you know this really, don't you, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt (big of me) and assume something stirred inside you to make you come out with that jibe...........not an erotic dream about Beccy W-D, I hope!:ohmy:
After all, our actions are hardly in the league of nicking the last bog-roll in the supermarket, are they!:D

Mate, it was satire.

My pension is generous but not safe, and if the economy goes tits up, my pension will too, as it is investment-underpinned. Looking after our dosh is, in my view, our first responsibility as adults. Money may not buy you love, but love certainly don't buy you money. Unless you're on the game, I suppose.

My abiding feeling was that Corona virus is the new Brexit, with catastrophizing the new national past time. Ripe for some low comedy.

And yet, this morning I woke up a bit frightened.

I did buy some extra bog roll, but to be honest I always like to keep 20 spare since my ex wife (bat shit mental) spent the grocery money, when I was poor, on a vase and, when I woke up the next morning and found out, I literally had to wipe my arse on news paper. That and other incidents has left me with some anxiety quirks about running out of stuff. This is not another joke, by the way.

All the best :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The rebound completely fizzled out.........I am not a trader so I am sitting on my hands as I reckon this has further to fall. Not even drip feeding in yet.

The virus has barely touched the UK yet, but will, with a recession to come. After just a few days, the markets haven’t permanently bottomed out, the short term ups and downs just now an irrelevance in the longer cycle.

Patience is required, drip feed buying in a few weeks or months time.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Mate, it was satire.

My pension is generous but not safe, and if the economy goes tits up, my pension will too, as it is investment-underpinned. Looking after our dosh is, in my view, our first responsibility as adults. Money may not buy you love, but love certainly don't buy you money. Unless you're on the game, I suppose.

My abiding feeling was that Corona virus is the new Brexit, with catastrophizing the new national past time. Ripe for some low comedy.

And yet, this morning I woke up a bit frightened.

I did buy some extra bog roll, but to be honest I always like to keep 20 spare since my ex wife (bat shit mental) spent the grocery money, when I was poor, on a vase and, when I woke up the next morning and found out, I literally had to wipe my arse on news paper. That and other incidents has left me with some anxiety quirks about running out of stuff. This is not another joke, by the way.

All the best :thumbsup:

Cheers Harry,
I knew you were a good chap underneath all that ( that was a joke :D) and apologies for my grump:down:
Anxiety is a strange pervading emotion and often cruel; believe me, I know.
What would change my present low mood, beside Albion clawing their way to safety, would be an end to possibly the shittiest stretch of shitty weather I have ever known. I reckon my lovely wife and I both suffer from SAD.:down:
Cheers.:thumbsup:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The virus has barely touched the UK yet, but will, with a recession to come. After just a few days, the markets haven’t permanently bottomed out, the short term ups and downs just now an irrelevance in the longer cycle.

Patience is required, drip feed buying in a few weeks or months time.

I work in a city investment firm. At our morning meeting today, all the fund managers from different desks were talking about the timing of going back in. No one was selling or shorting.

Not saying this is the bottom or the end of the problems but entry levels do look attractive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I work in a city investment firm. At our morning meeting today, all the fund managers from different desks were talking about the timing of going back in. No one was selling or shorting.

Not saying this is the bottom or the end of the problems but entry levels do look attractive.

You probably know of the FT’s Gillian Tett. She said yesterday no one ever knows (obviously) when share and other prices have bottomed out, but once they do the recovery proper always comes.

My thinking is to drip feed monthly sums into equities (SIPP and ISA) starting in a few weeks time.

Drip feeding to minimise the damage should that not be the bottom.

[Not intending to tread on your (knowledgeable) Oxfords :)].

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You probably know of the FT’s Gillian Tett. She said yesterday no one ever knows (obviously) when share and other prices have bottomed out, but once they do the recovery proper always comes.

My thinking is to drip feed monthly sums into equities (SIPP and ISA) starting in a few weeks time.

Very precise :wink:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Dropped 10% on a little pension investment, but not crystallized yet. May bung £5k at an investment Isa or even use up my £4k allowance in to the pension to take advantage of the low prices. Not sure which yet.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

I know Gillian Tett and she’s right.

I’d agree with you.

As Charlie Munger said “It takes character to sit with cash and do nothing”

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I know Gillian Tett and she’s right.

I’d agree with you.

As Charlie Munger said “It takes character to sit with cash and do nothing”

Apparently the Warren Buffett funds are sitting on $bns of cash waiting for the right time to strike

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dropped 10% on a little pension investment, but not crystallized yet. May bung £5k at an investment Isa or even use up my £4k allowance in to the pension to take advantage of the low prices. Not sure which yet.

Will hopefully fully fund ISA before April 5th, and then again immediately after, so max amount ready in there to take up the buying opportunities that will be around over the next few weeks........

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Will hopefully fully fund ISA before April 5th, and then again immediately after, so max amount ready in there to take up the buying opportunities that will be around over the next few weeks........

That usually works out in these circumstances, effectively double the ISA limit subscribed in April. I’ve never had the cash to anything like that (money spent on nice holidays and bringing up kids), but my Dad’s done well from that route.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its not looking excellent today, is it..

wowowow.jpg

hugaa.jpg

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
FTSE now lost 30% since Jan 1, wow

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’ve been short on the S&P and FT for the last 12 days tripling my account almost amazing scenes really everyone pressing sell at the moment, those that thought it would bounce back after Tuesdays sell off have been wiped out no buy signal in sight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here