Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Panic Selling

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
So are the stock markets crashing or not?

Perhaps they are crashing on this thread but not the other thread dedicated to today's stock market.

What if the stock market crashes on that thread, but not this one?

Oh it's so confusing.

Market is "repricing risk"

This is a lot to do with the Saudi's ramping production after OPEC last week. Too many peak oil players in the market and shale is buggered. Everything is off but the US single asset guys are finished.

Most discussion is around when to start buying. But no one can pick the bottom.

Same as always.....

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
My trading account is looking quite unhealthy today....no losses as I haven't sold. Ride it out and markets will soon recover.

Piled in on a few stocks that will recover ( silly low prices ) and make me a healthy profit.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Piled in on a few stocks that will recover ( silly low prices ) and make me a healthy profit.

Let us know how you get on cos the markets may not have bottomed yet. How long do you think you’ll have to wait before the profits roll in?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Let us know how you get on cos the markets may not have bottomed yet. How long do you think you’ll have to wait before the profits roll in?

Probably need to be in the 80% that are not too badly affected by covid-19 to get back in to profiting.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Amazing isn't it how when the price of oil goes down the price at the petrol station takes ages to catch up, but as soon as they rise the prices shoot up

To be fair, the Asda store near us are reasonably quick to lower prices and they do sell the cheapest petrol for miles around.
At the moment 116.7p a litre for petrol and 118.7p for diesel.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Oh well, this has severely clobbered both my SIPP and other investments. C'est la vie.
Haven't sold or added anything yet, but am tempted to put a bit into the markets soon.
In the meantime, I shall keep calm and trust my dividend payers keep paying up.
As an old git of almost 72 and providing I don't keel over from 'Corona', I reckon the markets will turn up well before I'm done for.:D

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not really. I know it was probably said in jest but toilet rolls are something that, over the course of two months, you would only need x rolls. So buying 10 times x now means zero sales in two months time. You're never going to need more toilet rolls next week than last week unless that curry was off.

Indeed.

I was thinking about investing in a creatorium but pulled back for equivalent reasons - in the long run (etc etc).

And, heartwarming to see we NSCers pondering how to profit from a possible impending human catastrophe. :shrug:

To be fair, I did get it in the neck from Mrs T this evening for stockpiling toilet roll. Well, she raised an eyebrow, which can amount to the same thing. But I bought an extra pack only because it was the last one left in the supermarket. Only just managed to grab it before this wormy mum with her troublesome kids took it. Alright, I may have barged past her a bit.

But better Safeway than sorry.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Indeed.

I was thinking about investing in a creatorium but pulled back for equivalent reasons - in the long run (etc etc).

And, heartwarming to see we NSCers pondering how to profit from a possible ipending human catastrophe. :shrug:

To be fair, I did get it in the neck from Mrs T this evening for stockpiling toilet roll. Well, she raised an eyebrow, which can amount to the same thing. But I bought an extra pack only because it was the last one left in the supermarket. Only just managed to grab it before this wormy mum with her troublesome kids took it. Alright, I may have barged past her a bit.

Bully, throwing your Waitrose around.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Safe investment if you want steady growth throughout the next few turbulent months -

Tattoo removal parlours

You have not been charged for this information :wink:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Indeed.

And, heartwarming to see we NSCers pondering how to profit from a possible impending human catastrophe. :shrug:

OMG.:ohmy:
I don't quite know how to take your post, Harry. Knowing you, I hope it is a partial wind up, tongue in cheek jobby, although the shrug worried me a bit.
You couldn't possibly be having a dig at the likes of us who mentioned stockmarket falls and how this puts a serious dent in our pension funds and other investments, could you?..........and you with your secure pension and all that!
. Us saps who rely on the markets for our pension are entitled to be a wee bit concerned, and are equally entitled to try and take appropriate action to make up the falls as the opportunity arises and to protect our hard earned wonga.I trust pension fund managers, responsible for the pensions of millions of 'ordinary folk' across the country are looking to do the same thing for their clients.If they are not, they are not doing their job properly!
But you know this really, don't you, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt (big of me) and assume something stirred inside you to make you come out with that jibe...........not an erotic dream about Beccy W-D, I hope!:ohmy:
After all, our actions are hardly in the league of nicking the last bog-roll in the supermarket, are they!:D

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I’m getting tempted.

The oil shock could get resolved with a bit of sensible discussion between Russia and the Saudis which should improve sentiment a bit. Take a while to get back to where we were but Buffett type companies with chunky yields will look good. Also may look at a few punts on companies who look vulnerable to private equity.

Another 1,000 points off and it’s remortgage the house stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bit of perspective required isn’t there? It’s a significant correction, but anyone invested in the market (assuming reasonable diversification) will still be sitting on gains over say a 3-5 year period (I took a final salary pension scheme out and lobbed it in a SIPP a while back and whilst it’s dropped maybe 15% in the last couple of weeks, it’s still worth more then when I invested). It’s tough to stomach for anyone who has to cash in an investment/pension now (when they could have done so a couple of weeks ago), but anything in a higher risk investment shouldn’t really be cash that is needed quickly. The DJ was at 17,749 5 years ago, and 23,851 yesterday, still up 34% in the period despite the drop of over 5,000 in the last week or so.

Personally happy to ride it out and look for buying opportunities. You can never reliably pick the bottom, so a good tactic now (or soon) is to drip feed your money in.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I had a sell signal on the SP 12 days ago I let it ride and yesterday well things are looking very healthy. Bit of a correction this morning as always after an 1800 pt fall.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing

I have quite a diverse portfolio including stock in Oil (FTSE & AIM) companies. Yesterdays drop is way oversold and a slow steady rise is what I'm looking for now and no silly spikes ( Oil companies). A rough short term road ahead but already in the black on the stocks bought at yesterdays silly prices.

Kicking myself though with Easyjet. Trade this stock regularly but didn't take action yesterday ! hey ho , there's plenty of opportunity out there.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I have quite a diverse portfolio including stock in Oil (FTSE & AIM) companies. Yesterdays drop is way oversold and a slow steady rise is what I'm looking for now and no silly spikes ( Oil companies). A rough short term road ahead but already in the black on the stocks bought at yesterdays silly prices.

Kicking myself though with Easyjet. Trade this stock regularly but didn't take action yesterday ! hey ho , there's plenty of opportunity out there.
You better hope the yanks don’t panic again on open and shorten the stops

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here