Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace's soul? Druma, goal music, Ultras, Eagle's flying, Groupon ect.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think a drum is worse than goal music,

Have to disagree, drums are fecking irritating but goal music is a noddy Tinpot Americanisation of football. Please give me one good reason why you need goal music? I can take most of the other Americanistions like cheer leaders but goal music actually makes me angry. Becoming more and more the norm though, they even play it at Twickenham now after a try. Really hope TB is as anti as me on this.

I think the eagle at Selhurst is pretty cool, sorry :blush:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
And what pray did Albion call themselves prior to about 1976? It wasn't "Seagulls", that was something you took after as a retaliation to "Eagles" chants.

Wasn't it a marine mammal of some kind?

And the problem with having a nickname reflecting the town's crest is?

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
I know, we used to have a rivalry with a football club, but now its with a load load happy clappy cheer leader types who would stamp their feet when the goal music is turned on and shout whooa whooa instead of football songs. I can't stand Palace but even I find this an embarrassment too far even for them. The modern palace might as well be be an ice hockey club as you say.

Happy clappy fans? After the playoff semi 2nd leg, that's very rich coming from you.

Totally bizarre thread.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Care to explain where your 10,000 "new" fans have came from then ?

Pot. Kettle. Black.

It's more like 6,000, try find a club that doesn't get an increase in fans when promoted to the PL.

Anyway, this topic has been done to death. Let's both celebrate the fact we both currently have good attendances.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Unbelievable amount of hypocrisy on this thread! You lot really shouldn't be talking about plastics, as you seemed to gain 20,000 'new fans' after the AMEX was built did you not?

HeHe. Let me guess - it really hacks you off that we get the biggest crowds outside the Premier League, and larger than *some* teams in it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Seagulls, dolphins, whatever. At least it made sense for a seaside club. Are there many breeds of eagle indigenous to the Selhurst area?

No eagles but there are plenty of bustards in the Croydon area.

HeHe. Let me guess - it really hacks you off that we get the biggest crowds outside the Premier League, and larger than *some* teams in it.

That might be true at the moment but historic attendane records show we've had higher attendance for a lot more years than you:p
Oh year and a better stadium for the vast majority of the time:D once free trains are taken away it Amex attendance will dwindle.
Keep trying to tell that Major clown but he ignores the facts.
http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/england.htm

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Drums, ultras, goal music, hot cheerleaders, endangered birds,premier league.
What's not to like?

Oh yeah...cheating your way through life.

That's where the soul went.

Andyjohnson

Feb 1, 2012
I am sure that palace were not always this tin pot. It must be a nightmare for proper Palace fans, what has happened up there, they are just cringeworthy. 10,000 against Bristol and Groupon deals when in the Championship, the Palace fans just seem to be in a mess

As a Palace fan I've got to say I agree with some of this. Goal music is bollox and has no place in football, the drum too. I dont manage to get to every game but when I do i'm always surprised no one has sent him home wearing it on his head. Nothing wrong with the Groupon deals though, QPR did it this season when top of the league and West Ham are always plugging their deals in the evening standard. The sad fact is that in London is that most of the younger generations now follow Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs while the rest of the London clubs match attending support is dwindling more and more every year. So if we dont use group on, etc to try and engage with the local community we're mugging ourselves off. No shame in it. There's probably another 12 or so professional clubs within a 10 miles of Selhurst park, you've got one club with 40 miles of yourselves.
It's also a bit rich and nonsensical to only talk about Palace though when talking about this cringey american style crap in football, the sad fact is most clubs are at it. The game is changing and not for the better. Take your clackers at the play offs and your Spanish day/Fright night or whatever it was. There a handful of clubs who I'd say are probably still resisting all this but Brighton certainly arent one of them

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
No harm in having a themed game such as a Spanish day to reflect the growing presence of them at the Club and the fans willingness to celebrate it. Ditto for Fright Night, an initiative to attract the families / kids on discounted tickets during half term week. Ok most purists would frown at that but if you want to connect with your fans then so be it. Bums on seats and £££'s in the bank are still important.

However making permanent allowances within a stadium for a drum or band and having goal music are a step too far. Maybe it's understandable that Clubs who do not get decent crowds might want to create an artificial atmosphere but a bit sad when clubs with decent support resort to it when not necessary. I'm glad we have resisted the latter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here