Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Palace think big..." - Evening Standard - When will Brighton?

Feb 14, 2010
No, that doesn't count. It doesn't come under 'thinking big'.

I'm just wondering how much of WCP's revelatory post the club hasn't thought of and isn't putting into practice?

I agree the club may well be thinking big. But 30,000 will not deliver a high roller premier league club. But you are right, I think its perhaps some fans rather than the club that are thinking small. However expansion if we go up is needed to think as palace are already thinking. And well done to palace. ps El P seems a wind up merchant, me a palace fan! He knows I have trawled the lower leagues with the Albion and well my family are through generations, Albion

Feb 14, 2010
Brighton were playing at a disused athletics track 4 years ago, and now have 20,000 season ticket holders and have pushed for promotion two years in a row, and you think the have under-achieved?

I bet you think Barca have a record for under-achievement given their 2013/14 season as well.

Come on? Seriously?

Yes seriously. Brighton also got 34000 for Darlington in div 3. But forget such statistics, what in that post or comments do you not agree with and why?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Instead of making allegations that are not true, as the quote from the Standard is correct and my comments are my comments, why don't you instead have a read of the article in the Standard, then step back and think to yourself "so this is a club with 8000 STH in the Championship, who have a board who talk about being high rollers in the Premier League". Then think, do I as a Brighton fan, think too small?

But you're a spoof account, or a second account, anything you say has to be taken in the spirit in which is intended isn't it?

Feb 14, 2010
But you're a spoof account, or a second account, anything you say has to be taken in the spirit in which is intended isn't it?

Apparently so, although its news to me! Obviously the article headed up "Palace think big after breaking their hoodoo" at page 68 of The Standard doesn't exist in the parallel universe that is NSC as well !

Feb 14, 2010
Er...Brighton haven't under-achieved.

Well I'm happy to agree to disagree on that front, but that is not the point made in this thread or at page 68 of The Standard about Palace. Have a read of the article and then think about what you think Brighton's ambitions might be. I would say similar to Palace's.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Well I'm happy to agree to disagree on that front, but that is not the point made in this thread or at page 68 of The Standard about Palace. Have a read of the article and then think about what you think Brighton's ambitions might be. I would say similar to Palace's.

Agreed , ambition is to get promoted and then avoid relegation.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Hmmmm....

For those on NSC who still dont get the link between catchment areas, attendances and potential and therefore still don't agree that Brighton have under achieved...

Feb 14, 2010
Agreed , ambition is to get promoted and then avoid relegation.

That is what palace have achieved (this season). It is not what they want to achieve. Read the article. I also do not agree that should be the limit of BHA's ambition either in my view and this is the point about sitting down, looking at things and I would not say "think big", I would say "think comparisons and then think what is achievable"

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That is what palace have achieved (this season). It is not what they want to achieve. Read the article. I also do not agree that should be the limit of BHA's ambition either in my view and this is the point about sitting down, looking at things and I would not say "think big", I would say "think comparisons and then think what is achievable"

I'm working in a London for six weeks shortly, I will pop down to Norbury and we can talk it through down the boozer.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I've found a picture of [MENTION=15922]Working class pride[/MENTION]

:smile:

4861817.jpg

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
From the Standard tonight:-
"..the clubs board were discussing how they could become one of the Premier Leagues high rollers...Stoke has a much smaller catchment area than Palace and has a smaller potential ... We are the biggest club in South Londonand within an hour of Selhurst there are more than 5 million people...the only reason we have not fulfilled it is because we have always gone straight back down again.. the club have already sold 15000 of the 17000 season tickets, almost double the 8,000 season ticket holders at Selhurst Park in the Championship"

Interesting comments and my thoughts are:-

1. Palace are a club who had 8000 season ticket holders in the championship. Brighton & Hove Albion have circa 23,000/24,000, this three times palace when in the same division, but their board are correct, Palace do have a good catchment area, although historically they are not the biggest club in South London (Charlton have in their history regular gates of 70,000).
2. For those on NSC who still dont get the link between catchment areas, attendances and potential and therefore still don't agree that Brighton have under achieved, well the Evening Standard, the board at Palace and most followers of football (I would suggest) do understand that link.
3. Palace's catchment area is not as defined as the Albion's and we are so lucky to have a County identity. This is why I and many others with Albion in the family going back generations knew full well the potential of the club. The question I have is when will the some questions that are being asked by the board at Selhurst be asked at Brighton? Or have they been and are some fans just lagging behind a bit?
4. What will stop Brighton moving forward? Failing to gain promotion and transport that will stop the ground from being expanded.

How many times has this been asked.

1. Get over the fact Palace beat us and are in the Premiership.
2. It is boring..... So boring.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If ambition were the only requisite to getting promoted then every team would achieve it, which is ridiculous.

Firstly, we had to get our own ground, and it's well documented that we had a fight to do it. Then we needed our own training ground which is still one month away, but we've achieved that.In the meantime, Palace have spent money that they didn't have (twice) and had all their debts wiped out (twice)
I know which ambition I would rather go with.

Feb 14, 2010
Only with wind up merchants. Takes one to know one of course.

I'm not winding you up. Do you really think the palace board are idiots (self made millionaires) ? Do you really not think that Brighton (a club with 3 times the number of STH than palace when the were in the championship) should not be thinking along similar lines? As for wind ups, then please take back that slur about being a palace fan. The Major rumour you started was funny but palace is a new ball game, although I'm sure palace fans are confused as I'm not too popular with Seaside Eagle or whoever! Seriously its an interesting article in The Standard tonight and made me think that we stand still down at the Albion over the next 10 years then we will be left far behind (again).

Feb 14, 2010
If ambition were the only requisite to getting promoted then every team would achieve it, which is ridiculous.

Firstly, we had to get our own ground, and it's well documented that we had a fight to do it. Then we needed our own training ground which is still one month away, but we've achieved that.In the meantime, Palace have spent money that they didn't have (twice) and had all their debts wiped out (twice)
I know which ambition I would rather go with.

I understand that, and its a point I have made to palace fans and only had angry replies back. However we are where we are and its right to say that they are not looking to stand still.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm not winding you up. Do you really think the palace board are idiots (self made millionaires) ? Do you really not think that Brighton (a club with 3 times the number of STH than palace when the were in the championship) should not be thinking along similar lines? As for wind ups, then please take back that slur about being a palace fan. The Major rumour you started was funny but palace is a new ball game, although I'm sure palace fans are confused as I'm not too popular with Seaside Eagle or whoever! Seriously its an interesting article in The Standard tonight and made me think that we stand still down at the Albion over the next 10 years then we will be left far behind (again).

What have the Palace board got to do with your (in my mind) incorrect opinion that Brighton have under achieved?

Feb 14, 2010
What have the Palace board got to do with your (in my mind) incorrect opinion that Brighton have under achieved?

Nothing why?

Oh I see. The palace board have spotted they have a large catchment area (as do Brighton) but have historically not achieved what they could have done, (nor have the Albion).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here