Palace fans fury

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
To me that reads as a definite line to goad Palace fans. Yes I'm seeing it as pointscoring. I suspect any other Palace fan reading this thread will take it the same way.

I suspect most other Palace fans won't be reading this thread as they have better things to do on a Friday night than go on rival clubs' messageboards.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Having just read this thread i would say that i can't see how Cantona is to blame for the tragic death of a Palace fan. If someone was likely to attack rival football fans then it would have been likely to have happened anyway and the Cantona incident is just a convenient excuse to guess at the cause / reasoning behind it. As the Palace fans on here have said, the person responsible was never caught so i ask how do they know that he wouldn't have attacked opposition fans at the game or hasn't attacked opposition fans before or after than incident at other games, even if they arn't Palace?.

I confess i know very little about the incident but ask was the stabbing injury life threatening? was the guy deliberately pushed under the coach that killed him with the express purpose to kill him? or could it be a tragic set of circumstances / coincidences that led to his death? - an incident where the guy responsible (not Cantona but the Man U fan) didn't think his actions would end with a death?

The whole blaming Cantona issue is like when the Leeds fans got stabbed in Turkey, you could lay the blame on the crusades and therefore should England fans wearing a Knights costume to an England match should be seen as acting in bad taste and trying to provoke a reaction from anyone in attendance who may be of Turkish decent (regardless of opposition) and be banned? - so could the mask wearing idea seen as a bit of fun by a lot of Man U fans (who may not link it to the Palace fans death or even be aware if a death at all) in the same way that the English Knights costume is for fun and your fans are reading too much into something and finding a hidden meaning that may not have been there in the first place?

If there is trouble at the upcoming game because of these masks and a fan ends up getting seriously injured or worse, would the presence of these masks be used to justify or excuse that violence? - would that also be something else that Cantona's sending off and subsequent kick can be used as to explain it happening and not the fact that some people just like violence and some people will attack others because they are different (race, sexuality, religion, football team or whatever they want to use) when in reality they need very little to justify their actions because in truth they want to do it or need little encouragement to do it?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
image.jpg
Got mine, shall wear it while watching on sky sports

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If some moron wore a Bin Laden mask to a REMF game how would you feel? Rightly or wrongly, that's how we feel about someone bringing a Cantona mask to a Palace game.

Blimey, I said that Palace fans who attempted to conflate the Cantona incident with the tragic death of a fan were either contemptible or pathetic - and I think you've managed to be both. Well done!

Ooh Aah! Cantona!

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Whoever he was, he was a bellend !!
Like the other 1,500 in Selhurst at the time ha ha !!

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
This might be controversial but, I reckon that tear up in Walsall would of happened regardless of the cantona incident, that coach didn't turn up especially because of what happened, it just kicked off, as it would of done anyway. RIP the fella who died, but I really don't think it was caused by the cantona issue, it was football violence , an unfortunate casualty of two groups of rival fans fighting ahead of a big match.

Sorry you couldn't be more wrong . The palace fans used that pub ( the fulbrook) for the palace Liverpool semi final game (4-3) and they had a great day and made some good mates . For the utd game the same guys with partners and their children went so it wouldn't be classed as arranged would it , the palace fans had no idea utd would be there .

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Having just read this thread i would say that i can't see how Cantona is to blame for the tragic death of a Palace fan. If someone was likely to attack rival football fans then it would have been likely to have happened anyway and the Cantona incident is just a convenient excuse to guess at the cause / reasoning behind it. As the Palace fans on here have said, the person responsible was never caught so i ask how do they know that he wouldn't have attacked opposition fans at the game or hasn't attacked opposition fans before or after than incident at other games, even if they arn't Palace?.

I confess i know very little about the incident but ask was the stabbing injury life threatening? was the guy deliberately pushed under the coach that killed him with the express purpose to kill him? or could it be a tragic set of circumstances / coincidences that led to his death? - an incident where the guy responsible (not Cantona but the Man U fan) didn't think his actions would end with a death?

The whole blaming Cantona issue is like when the Leeds fans got stabbed in Turkey, you could lay the blame on the crusades and therefore should England fans wearing a Knights costume to an England match should be seen as acting in bad taste and trying to provoke a reaction from anyone in attendance who may be of Turkish decent (regardless of opposition) and be banned? - so could the mask wearing idea seen as a bit of fun by a lot of Man U fans (who may not link it to the Palace fans death or even be aware if a death at all) in the same way that the English Knights costume is for fun and your fans are reading too much into something and finding a hidden meaning that may not have been there in the first place?

If there is trouble at the upcoming game because of these masks and a fan ends up getting seriously injured or worse, would the presence of these masks be used to justify or excuse that violence? - would that also be something else that Cantona's sending off and subsequent kick can be used as to explain it happening and not the fact that some people just like violence and some people will attack others because they are different (race, sexuality, religion, football team or whatever they want to use) when in reality they need very little to justify their actions because in truth they want to do it or need little encouragement to do it?

As you say, you know very little about the incident, but you are quite sure that it wasn't anything to do with Cantona ??

The match was the first time the teams had meet since that night at Selhurst, and United fans wanted revenge.you could sense the ugly mood all day, with all Palace fans fair game for being attacked, there was pure hatred from them all day.
The pub where Paul Nixon died was a mixture of Palace and Man U, with the banter flying back and forth, nothing too bad. This changed when a coach load turned up from Salford, the atmosphere changed in an instance.

The Palace fans were chased out of the pub and attacked, Paul was stabbed and hit with a brick, and fell down. The coach driver, in a attempt to get away, then ran over him. If he would have died without being run over, who knows.

Did they mean to kill him ? No,
Did they mean to attack Palace fans ? Yes.

For some of you to say it wasn't down to Cantona is petty point scoring at best, and ignorance at worse.

Edit.
The Palace coach was held at the pub, with all the Palace fans questioned.
The United coach left, and when it was traced later, only 18 of the passengers were on board. The rest of them were traced later, but it didn't go to court.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Get yer mileage out of it soggy , get yer post counts up , that's your game isn't it cheap shots . I'm off for the day , let you lot know later what went on .

See ya later , Nige.

Feb 14, 2010
Cantona was responsible for kicking someone in the Palace crowd. He saw red mist and blaming the fan was an attempt to shift blame. The Man U fans who chased and stabbed the palace fan in a separate incident were responsible for that terrible death. To link the two is stretching things far too much and more than that, it shifts blame to Cantona for an incident that really had nothing to do with him. Cantona takes the blame for the kick and the Man U fans who chased the Palace fan in the pub must take responsibility for what they did. As for the masks then Palace fans are looking daft by being so sensitive. Football fans up and down the country found it very amusing that Cantona booted the lad in the palace crowd and that is the joke, nothing more, and nothing to do with United loonies chasing palace fans out of a pub a few months later.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I didn't know about these deaths but if they indeed exist then I think it shows you as a complete and utter moron using them as a means of abuse, I suspect that the vast majority of the other people reading this thread would see you as a fairly disgusting individual as well.

Stop being offended for something you know nothing about.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Sorry you couldn't be more wrong . The palace fans used that pub ( the fulbrook) for the palace Liverpool semi final game (4-3) and they had a great day and made some good mates . For the utd game the same guys with partners and their children went so it wouldn't be classed as arranged would it , the palace fans had no idea utd would be there .

I never said it was arranged, what I said was that it was football violence, and that group of Man Utd nutters would of turned up and kicked off regardless of the cantona incident.

If you were playing any other team and a coach load of their hooligans pulled up it would of kicked off.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
For some of you to say it wasn't down to Cantona is petty point scoring at best, and ignorance at worse.

No it isn't. It is a logical conclusion.

The blame for Paul's death can only be apportioned in two ways.

Firstly, and most sensibly, it was a consequence of football hooliganism.

Secondly, if you run the course of events back, then Simmonds is to blame.

At no point can Cantona be blamed for the death of one of your fans.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I think that is a fair assessment, and I think that the violence and inflated level of hostility directed at Palace fans was very much generated by the Cantona incident, no matter how many Brighton fans on here tell them they are wrong. I reckon they have every right to be pissed off about norvern monkeys turning up in Eric masks...

As you say, you know very little about the incident, but you are quite sure that it wasn't anything to do with Cantona ??

The match was the first time the teams had meet since that night at Selhurst, and United fans wanted revenge.you could sense the ugly mood all day, with all Palace fans fair game for being attacked, there was pure hatred from them all day.
The pub where Paul Nixon died was a mixture of Palace and Man U, with the banter flying back and forth, nothing too bad. This changed when a coach load turned up from Salford, the atmosphere changed in an instance.

The Palace fans were chased out of the pub and attacked, Paul was stabbed and hit with a brick, and fell down. The coach driver, in a attempt to get away, then ran over him. If he would have died without being run over, who knows.

Did they mean to kill him ? No,
Did they mean to attack Palace fans ? Yes.

Edit.
The Palace coach was held at the pub, with all the Palace fans questioned.
The United coach left, and when it was traced later, only 18 of the passengers were on board. The rest of them were traced later, but it didn't go to court.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Can see both sides of the argument, but as a serious question, is it just the Manure fans you have an issue with wearing the masks? For example if we were to wear them would you be equally offended, or see it as a bit of fun at your rivals expense, at the original, highly amusing event? Or would you take the same offence if, say Yeovil wore them? In all honesty there are probably utd fans wanting to wear them because they thought the kick was funny and have no idea about Paul Nixon. I have to hold my hands up and say this is the first I knew about a Palace fan losing his life in such a way.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
No it isn't. It is a logical conclusion.

The blame for Paul's death can only be apportioned in two ways.

Firstly, and most sensibly, it was a consequence of football hooliganism.

Secondly, if you run the course of events back, then Simmonds is to blame.

At no point can Cantona be blamed for the death of one of your fans.

Why not go back further and look into Simmonds past . His father left the family home when he was in his formative years . Although Mathew himself dismisses this event lightly we have know way of determining how his life would have been had this not occurred .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports