[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Don't think that is true.

Wharton was apparently 18m upfront.

Mac Allister was around 7.6 upfront, Caicedo around 4 and Buonanotte around 6, so Wharton's fee pretty much matches those three.

Barco was around 7.8m.

(This ignores sums to the original selling club that became payable once we sold Caicedo and Mac Allister, which would make their overall fee FAR more expensive).

What this highlights, of course, is how astonishing our recruitment of Mac Allister and Caicedo was. As Albion fans, we had no right to see two such players feature simultaneously in our central midfield for as long as they did. Almost certainly never to be repeated. :down:
Good information - but it isn’t far off backing up my claim. They cost a total of around £25m - a million more than the reported ‘with add ons’ fee Palace paid for Wharton.

You can’t possibly include the sell-on payments in the comparison.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
No I didn’t . Just saying our policy is better for us fans as we see the players for a few seasons rather than selling them off to the highest bidder.
OK @Dougie your policy is trying to avoid administration and not getting relegated. Haven’t seen any evidence of anything different yet?

Charity bet still available ….

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
OK @Dougie your policy is trying to avoid administration and not getting relegated. Haven’t seen any evidence of anything different yet?

Charity bet still available ….
Oh Tim, you used to be so balanced. Not so much lately, the old administration jibes are coming out 🙄

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Liverpool you definitely got at the perfect time.
They played a gruelling game against United the week before which went to extra time, and then a shock loss to Atalanta at Anfield.
Much like us, their season unravelled in a series of 3 or 4 games.
I think you'll find that it was actually Brighton who played Liverpool after they faced United and went to a gruelling extra time. They still managed to beat you 2-1.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think you'll find that it was actually Brighton who played Liverpool after they faced United and went to a gruelling extra time. They still managed to beat you 2-1.
You're correct - it was after the 2-2 at Old trafford, and the 3-0 against Atalanta. When their form had really taken a nosedive.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No I didn’t . Just saying our policy is better for us fans as we see the players for a few seasons rather than selling them off to the highest bidder.
Why is it that you've never managed to accumulate more than 49 points in 11 Premier League seasons then?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Don't know if anyone else has commented on this but big respect to Dougie Freeman for turning down the cash loaded advances of the barcoded oil state - unusual (Ashworth, Winstanley, Roberts, Bruno et al please note) to see loyalty to a club where progress (although I hate to acknowledge it!!) is being made and placed above a wheelbarrow load of oil dollars.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Don't know if anyone else has commented on this but big respect to Dougie Freeman for turning down the cash loaded advances of the barcoded oil state - unusual (Ashworth, Winstanley, Roberts, Bruno et al please note) to see loyalty to a club where progress (although I hate to acknowledge it!!) is being made and placed above a wheelbarrow load of oil dollars.
Yeah would be good if we could get some of that culture going at the Albion

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yeah, I saw that.
Was quite disappointed - he knows what he's doing and has an excellent success rate.
I don't think he has been turning down cash as such, I think he has signed a new contract hasn't he?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Really? Blimey well done Dougie. Highly commendable.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hopefully Riad has been bought because Guehi is leaving.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
IMHO I think guehi will be leaving ,but this signing is to cover the lose of Tomkins who has been released.
Good English CBs are in short supply and Guehi would definitely improve Liverpool, Man Utd, Spurs, Newcastle.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Good English CBs are in short supply and Guehi would definitely improve Liverpool, Man Utd, Spurs, Newcastle.
Indeed - and with two years left on a contract that he's not willing to renew, we'd be better off selling for ~£60m now while the market is hot.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Indeed - and with two years left on a contract that he's not willing to renew, we'd be better off selling for ~£60m now while the market is hot.
The thing is Palace have not missed him a bit, in fact the 3 at the back have looked great, the fact he started in midfield on Saturday sort of showed that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here