Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace crowd

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
absolutely this.

Although you are being generous to Withdean. It was a SHOCKING football experience. Still we went.

Working class pride is a bit of a stuck record but in some cases he is right. Top of the Championship Palace fans weren't really bothered. And they did **** all when the shit hit the fan.

Double post

Feb 14, 2010
If you say it enough, some people will start believing it.
In all my years of supporting Palace, apart from a few seasons in the old Div 1, I can't for the life of me think of anyone would class Brighton of being a big club with a big fan base.

Firstly we are talking about palace having a so called "fantastic support" a year or so after they struggled to get 12000 for a top of the table clash with a well supported Cardiff in the Championship. Its more a dig at how daft the press can be than Palace. But your point just shows what many of us know at Brighton- You have to be in the top flight to be considered a well supported club, which is also daft as we didnt get good gates in div 1 (OK because of when it was and a hooligan problem). The shite teams we have had over the years are why BHA are off the press radar. BHA are not a big club because of the lack of success but anyone who knows anything about anything, knows that Brighton are a well supported despite being an unsuccessful club, perhaps like Bristol City. Another well supported club but with no success. I also expect Plymouth have a very decent support and who knows what they could achieve. If BHA had sucess? Who knows, and the way its going, it looks like we never will. But all this great palace support just doesnt pass the acid test 'where were you when you were shit"? Well actually for you lot its "Where were you when getting promoted out of the Championship"?

In all my years of supporting Palace, apart from a few seasons in the old Div 1, I can't for the life of me think of anyone would class Brighton of being a big club with a big fan base.
Most of you know that the Withdean wasn't sold out each week, the truth is lots of you couldn't be bothered to rough it.
It's best to leave WCP in his nostalgic bubble.

1 club in Sussex with a population of over 1.6 million attendances haven't exactly been brilliant over the years have they? Not until a shiny new stadium came along with cheap family season tickets inc free trains,

Now matter how many times Bha fans try to polish their efforts. How many thousands of empty seats are there at the Amex now?

Regardless of attendances,When it mattered on the pitch Palace proved who the bigger club is:lolol:
it's written in history books now
so Wcp please see a shrink to get over it once and for all:bigwave:

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
It is funny how palace use our gates at the withdean when discussing our attendences.
There isn't any point in explaining it to them. If they dont understand then best leave it. They never will
tin pot c**ts

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
It is funny how palace use our gates at the withdean when discussing our attendences.
There isn't any point in explaining it to them. If they dont understand then best leave it. They never will
tin pot c**ts

Rather than being abusive, can you explain why you couldn't fill a 7000 stadium for years ?

Feb 14, 2010
Rather than being abusive, can you explain why you couldn't fill a 7000 stadium for years ?

The Albion sold it out for 3 or was it 4 seasons. By the 5th and 6th when playing Hartlepool in the third tier and after years of shit football the capacity went to 9000. Still got around 7000 for most games tho, only about 3000 less than the number of palace fans (Cardiff have a decent away support so your 12000 would have included a few thousand Cardiff) who paid to get in against Cardiff when you were in a top of the championship game a couple of seasons ago.. hence why we laugh at the notion that palace have a fantastic support. God knows what you would get in the 3rd 4th tier these days after 20 years of doing it at Selhurst never mind Gillingham or a Withdean (no roof and athletics track). About 1500 on a tuesday night against Exeter I expect.

Last edited:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
1 club in Sussex with a population of over 1.6 million attendances haven't exactly been brilliant over the years have they? Not until a shiny new stadium came along with cheap family season tickets inc free trains,

Now matter how many times Bha fans try to polish their efforts. How many thousands of empty seats are there at the Amex now?

Regardless of attendances,When it mattered on the pitch Palace proved who the bigger club is:lolol:
it's written in history books now
so Wcp please see a shrink to get over it once and for all:bigwave:

Our 10 match unbeaten run is in the history books in my watching lifetime

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Unfortunately, the bottom line (which read "Share the wealth, pigs") is omitted from that photo.

Generous lot, Palace fans, it's well documented that they enjoy sharing their wealth with footballers. Usually in the direction of said player's head, whilst celebrating a goal or taking a corner.

View attachment 63286

Did the bottom line mean the club chairmen of all PL clubs ??? Wenger must have told his players to celebrate at the other side of the goal yesterday to avoid the monetary appreciation from the crowd.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Highest Matchday Income BHA V CP

2011 BHA
2012 BHA
2013 BHA
2014 BHA
2015 BHA
Etc, etc

The past has passed, this is now & forever

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Highest Matchday Income BHA V CP

2011 BHA
2012 BHA
2013 BHA
2014 BHA
2015 BHA
Etc, etc

The past has passed, this is now & forever

Really ???
Best you start selling loads of pies then !

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton

Sure.
The first few seasons there it was impossible to get a ticket, i tried and tried ,but just couldn't get one.
i noticed after the first couple of seasons that i could get a ticket then started going. But most people were under the assumption that they couldn't get a ticket, which is why people didmt bother trying. We have probably lost 10 years of new fans because of this, but still manage to get 28,000 to a relegation battle game against fullum

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
image.jpg

This from yesterday , There are no words :facepalm:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I was at the Palace-Arsenal game and from the press box I have to say the atmosphere was nothing special, but we're in the old main stand across the pitch from that little group of flag-wavers (albeit at the same end). All the TV commentators who say Selhurst is noisy are on a gantry under the Arthur Wait stand, so much closer to them, but also above the away fans, which must make for a lot more noise.

White Hart Lane today was much louder, mainly thanks to the West Ham fans.

Motty has become a bit of a caricature, or rather more than he already was. He's started talking in his commentary voice in the press room now. Oh I say ...

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
You talk some sense, but that stuff about "where were they at Withdean" is nonsense for the following reasons 1) most years at Withdean were in League 1 and we had respectable crowds for that level 2) Withdean regularly sold out and as a non-season ticket holder I often couldn't get in to games I wanted to see 3) Withdean was a very poor fan experience and I got soaked to the skin there many times. Many people and parents just couldn't face going there often 4) Many people like me did not go to every game and so if we averaged 7,000 that was not the same 7,000 people for every home game. Once we got a decent stadium I became a ST holder 5) Many long term Albion fans got out of the habit of going regularly going due to all the trauma and the Gillingham years, but they rediscovered their club after it rebuilt itself. So good - what is the problem?

Fair enough and good points. I didn't really intend it to sound that way but reading it back that's exactly what it sounds like and you are 100% correct to pull me up on that! All I was pointing out is that it's a fact that League 1 football in an open bowl will never have the same level of consistent support that Championship football in a new stadium can achieve. But even if you ignore the apples v oranges argument of the venue differences I think it's pretty obvious that we were to be relegated then gates would drop, potentially significantly. Were this to happen then the JCL, plastic jibes would simply be thrown at us, the same arguments that you will find levied at other clubs (especially at the sarf london fellas) by us.

Football over time is a great leveller and over and over again the mighty end up eating a lot of humble pie. As my mum used to say, make sure your words are sweet because one day you may have to eat them.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Well, the stats don't lie do they? Saturday 21 February 2015

CPFC v one of the top four clubs in the country, playing in the Premier League: 24,721

BHAFC v poor midlands club, scrapping against relegation, playing in the Championship: 25,768

So even now, with a pretty crap team, in a Championship relegation scrap, we can still put more bums on seats than Palace.

Not sure there's much more to say on the matter.

XSE25

Dec 29, 2013

Firstly we are talking about palace having a so called "fantastic support" a year or so after they struggled to get 12000 for a top of the table clash with a well supported Cardiff in the Championship. Its more a dig at how daft the press can be than Palace. But your point just shows what many of us know at Brighton- You have to be in the top flight to be considered a well supported club, which is also daft as we didnt get good gates in div 1 (OK because of when it was and a hooligan problem). The shite teams we have had over the years are why BHA are off the press radar. BHA are not a big club because of the lack of success but anyone who knows anything about anything, knows that Brighton are a well supported despite being an unsuccessful club, perhaps like Bristol City. Another well supported club but with no success. I also expect Plymouth have a very decent support and who knows what they could achieve. If BHA had sucess? Who knows, and the way its going, it looks like we never will. But all this great palace support just doesnt pass the acid test 'where were you when you were shit"? Well actually for you lot its "Where were you when getting promoted out of the Championship"?

Actually we were 14th - and had been playing the drabbest football ever under Dougie (this was midweek too) .
Our next home game (v Burnley) was 21k - Not bad for a labouring mid table team with no day trippers making up the numbers.

Last edited:

XSE25

Dec 29, 2013
Well, the stats don't lie do they? Saturday 21 February 2015

CPFC v one of the top four clubs in the country, playing in the Premier League: 24,721

BHAFC v poor midlands club, scrapping against relegation, playing in the Championship: 25,768

So even now, with a pretty crap team, in a Championship relegation scrap, we can still put more bums on seats than Palace.

Not sure there's much more to say on the matter.

A little more to say on the matter...

1 > I'm pretty sure this what we were restricted to.
2> Prentendence numbers don't really count now do they ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here