• Yes

Votes: 34 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 72 67.9%

• Total voters

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hitler said the same about those with mental illness, gypsies, Jews..........

it of a difference though, the afore mentioned were not as a rule criminals let alone child molesters. Also, Hilter wanted to exterminate them, I said isolate them. It's little wonder so many students don't understand plain English.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Things change when you have your own children. Before my daughters I would have planted myself very much in the 'poor people, society has failed them, they need help' brigade. Now, with enforced subjectivity I find myself becoming more hardline. The problem with capital punishment is that no legal system is infallible enough to get it right each time and I just can't condone innocents being punished. However, can we ACTUALLY take these people away from the temptation permanently..... concentration camps on the Isle of Dogs? Enforced castration seems a good idea but it smacks so much of the Nazi and again.. if they are later proved innocent?

I really don't know but I fear that if anythign happened to my kids (heaven forbid) I think you would have to lock up all the knives. Possible innocence woulnd't even cross my mind.

Sometimes I wonder whetehr we just have toa ccept that we humans are not much better than animals and all this 'civilisation' is just window dressing. When push comes to shove we revert back to possibly the most dangerous, selfish, callous and vindictive species on this planet.

That's a fair comment, I wonder what my reaction (and that of others) would be if a child of mine was a victim. It is a bit too easy to say no death penalty when you haven't been personally involved.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Capital punishment rarely works as a deterrant - and the cost of keeping someone on death row while appeal after appeal goes through the courts is dwarfs the cost of keeping someone in a top category prison.

A forward thinking society should not be looking to re-introduce such an archaic and brutal punishment.

There's no doubt that the death penalty is not a deterrent and it's also tru that based of the American legal system it does cost more to keep people on death row. Our judicial system is a bit less complicated. America has more lawyers than it needs hence the need to extract as much money from the system as possible.

However, I say again, how would you feel if it was somebody close to you that was a victim ?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There's no doubt that the death penalty is not a deterrent and it's also tru that based of the American legal system it does cost more to keep people on death row. Our judicial system is a bit less complicated. America has more lawyers than it needs hence the need to extract as much money from the system as possible.

However, I say again, how would you feel if it was somebody close to you that was a victim ?

Equally, how would you feel if one of your children grew up to be an offender?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
That's a fair comment, I wonder what my reaction (and that of others) would be if a child of mine was a victim. It is a bit too easy to say no death penalty when you haven't been personally involved.

Conversely, it's too easy to say death penalty if you are personally involved.

I know I'd want violent retribution if it affected someone I know personally. However, when thinking logically I'm against the return of the death penalty. We can't make laws based on emotions.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Conversely, it's too easy to say death penalty if you are personally involved.

I know I'd want violent retribution if it affected someone I know personally. However, when thinking logically I'm against the return of the death penalty. We can't make laws based on emotions.

Agreed you can't but emotion is not very logical all too often, many people would see the death of the convicted as some sort of closure. You do have to ask yourself, what is the point of keeping somebody like Ian Brady alive, there is no doubt about his guilt.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Agreed you can't but emotion is not very logical all too often, many people would see the death of the convicted as some sort of closure. You do have to ask yourself, what is the point of keeping somebody like Ian Brady alive, there is no doubt about his guilt.

Keeping someone like him alive? Who died and made you God...

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
There's no doubt that the death penalty is not a deterrent
Dont agree at all, as ive said before , you may be able to point to the people who WERENT deterred but how do you quantify the people who WERE deterred ? people try to use examples of crime rates in death penalty/non death penalty states in the US, but the non death penalty states always have better socio-economic conditions than the death penalty states, obviously leading to a generally lower crime rate.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
and the cost of keeping someone on death row while appeal after appeal goes through the courts is dwarfs the cost of keeping someone in a top category prison.

you are getting mixed up with America mate. That certainly did not happen in the UK up until we abolished the 'archaic' death penalty, a mere 40 odd years ago.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Dont agree at all, as ive said before , you may be able to point to the people who WERENT deterred but how do you quantify the people who WERE deterred ? people try to use examples of crime rates in death penalty/non death penalty states in the US, but the non death penalty states always have better socio-economic conditions than the death penalty states, obviously leading to a generally lower crime rate.

The murder rate in America is no higher or lower in any state than it was before the re-introduction of the death penalty, you will no doubt find the same statistic in any country that still has the death penalty. As I have said before nobody who commits a capital crime considers the consequences of their act because if they did it's highly unlikely that they'd carry it out. They seldom expect to be caught.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
you are getting mixed up with America mate. That certainly did not happen in the UK up until we abolished the 'archaic' death penalty, a mere 40 odd years ago.

Not, but our legal system has changed since then. It is naive to assume there would not be appeal after appeal going all the way to the High Court and Europe.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Just out of interest. What if one of those children you would do anything to protect from harm turned out to be a paedophile.

Would you pull the trigger, flick the switch to rid the world of them?

I totally see where you are coming from..... I have already said I cannot condone capital punishment......LOGICALLY... but if I ever have to face the horror in my own household of my children being abused I cannot say with all honesty that I would be able to control my feelins. Can you ? I wish I could. OK I may not go out hunting him but I would certainly be thinking it. That2s what humans / animals do. I hate it but it's the truth.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Not, but our legal system has changed since then. It is naive to assume there would not be appeal after appeal going all the way to the High Court and Europe.

true and society has got a lot wetter (or forward thinking to use your terminology). you can imagine it cant you. this country starts collectively blubbing and wetting their knickers when some one gets voted off x factor. imagine the reaction when someone gets voted off the planet.

the shakrabatis of this world would LOVE it if we had the death penalty I bet.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
We all know how we would react if our onw chidren were offenders..... it is an inbuilt reaction to protect our offspring... all animals do it... we would find excuses and beg for mercy... ALL OF US would either do this or strongly feel the need to do this. But that won't stop us feeling different about someone else's child being a paedophile... we don't have a paternal insticnt to them. So its a bit illogical to compare the situations..... we are human after all.... not super logical automatons.

Yes we would all like to do the logical right thing but that type of thinking would result in euthenasia in places of the world where there is overcrowding, wouldn't it.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Equally though do you think, regardless of what someone had done to a family member, that you could bring yourself to KILL them?

this old chestnut. do you think you could work all your working life in other areas of the penal system? could you run around helmand topping afghans. society requires people to do plenty of unpleasant things for it to function, that most people dip right out of. thats how societies work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here